Proposed European Super League

madras

2 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

I'm not even sure how it works is this going to be instead of the champions league etc for these teams? Over wise you can't expect the other competitions to arrange their fixtures to suit this nonsense 

They wouldn't be part of the PL whatsoever.

15 minutes ago, NG32 said:

Not sure whats worse, the neglect of Mike Ashley and his nonsense or this potential new league and being mega rich and not caring about who we play. 

ESL is much worse. It's nothing more than a way to bypass FFP and generate unlimited cash.

Footballs morals went a long time ago but this is a load of rubbish. Real Madrid claiming "The good of football" is absolute tosh. If anything, this put's pressure on scrapping of FFP.

Reality is the "Super League" already exists in the form of the Premier League.

On 04/01/2010 at 00:22, brummie said:

The reason it won't work is simple.

Because you won't be able to go to work on Monday and claim "bragging rights" over the office Ajax supporter. Because 9999 times out of 10000 there isn't an office Ajax supporter.

Take that away and you might as well stare at share prices all day for your excitement.

Whilst I agree, for us, I suppose it's mainly to be marketed overseas for the TV money which is how it could work.

But, what makes the PL and current CL work is the drama intensified by the fans actually caring and that reflecting on to pitch. Which is something the shareholding dorks never seem to understand.

4 minutes ago, CheikBoom said:

ESL is much worse. It's nothing more than a way to bypass FFP and generate unlimited cash.

Footballs morals went a long time ago but this is a load of rubbish. Real Madrid claiming "The good of football" is absolute tosh. If anything, this put's pressure on scrapping of FFP.

Hopefully

Edited by Slim

Doesn’t even feel like news.  Of course it’s anti-competitive.  So is FFP.  And while we’re on it, I have doubts that the whole thing about holding a club holding a player’s registration with a ridiculous buyout clause would pass if challenged in European courts.

The English, French and German clubs won’t do it - though the English ones won’t because of pressures external to the clubs.  It always tickled me that the geniuses behind it didn’t see the flaw - that some of these clubs would just end up as the also-rans.

Football is broken already, not sure how much of a difference this ruling makes. 

6 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

I'm not even sure how it works is this going to be instead of the champions league etc for these teams? Over wise you can't expect the other competitions to arrange their fixtures to suit this nonsense 

Original idea was that they’d play the ESL in parallel with the domestic leagues but the clubs were swiftly told to fuck off IIRC. Think the PL changed the charter to say member clubs couldn’t join breakaway competitions after that.

In the short term this ruling is likely going to be used to get UEFA/FIFA to shift on some of the less popular rules (bye bye FFP). Long term you’ll probably end up with some compromise/rebranded CL-style competition that’s sanctioned but to all intents and purposes a closed shop ran by and for the biggest clubs in the world.

On 04/01/2010 at 00:22, brummie said:

The reason it won't work is simple.

Because you won't be able to go to work on Monday and claim "bragging rights" over the office Ajax supporter. Because 9999 times out of 10000 there isn't an office Ajax supporter.

Take that away and you might as well stare at share prices all day for your excitement.

I dont think they are that arsed tbh, didnt we hear rumours they wanted to market the league themselves and bypass all the current streaming companies and existing broadcasters, set up their own subscription and charge a couple of quid globally??

They are truly going for the "fifa footy" on line generation, empty on line rivalry and abuse on line.

What a league that would be. 

6 minutes ago, CheikBoom said:

I think the opposite is true - UEFA will be shutting their pants that the usual suspects will be raring to fuck off again.  FFP is what keeps the status quo - they’ll bend over backwards for them now

If this finally makes people switch off from the sport and divert their interests elsewhere, then I'm all for it. Football authorities have took the piss out of us fans for far too long, knowing the majority of us will continue to come back for more regardless. This for me would be the time to hit them where it hurts, stop subscribing and stop clicking.

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

This all feels quite depressing really. For all that modern football has wrong with it, the basic league and European structures are fine and competitive. This will be turboshit if they go ahead with their original plan 

The existence of the ‘Premier League’ and ‘Champions League’ is proof that the structures have already been completely fucked by ludicrous amounts of greed. 

This all feels quite depressing really. For all that modern football has wrong with it, the basic league and European structures are fine and competitive. This will be turboshit if they go ahead with their original plan 

Absolutely, the whole European football thing only works because all nations have a chance. A split would be devastating. Imagine a split where British French and Germans play in Uefa competitions and the rest split to this. 

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The existence of the ‘Premier League’ and ‘Champions League’ is proof that the structures have already been completely fucked by ludicrous amounts of greed. 

Sure, but those were essentially just new names for existing competitions, and competitions you have to qualify for. The Super League idea is a step beyond for obvious reasons 

Sure, but those were essentially just new names for existing competitions, and competitions you have to qualify for. The Super League idea is a step beyond for obvious reasons 

You would still have to qualify for the Super League

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Absolutely, the whole European football thing only works because all nations have a chance. A split would be devastating. Imagine a split where British French and Germans play in Uefa competitions and the rest split to this. 

I’m not in favour of the Super League nonsense, but all nations definitely don’t have a chance.  They used to, then the big Western European leagues wanted all the money for themselves and pulled up the drawbridge.  No side to the East of Italy and Germany has a real chance to win the European Cup now.  

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Possibly already answered, but where does this leave English clubs? And we banned from entering it ?

Think they’re now banned by the PL, but I doubt the will exists at this moment in time. They got a proper fright last time around.

2 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

The PL was more than that - it was a breakaway league which was created simply so that the big boys wouldn’t spit their dummies out completely - they hated sharing their money with the rest of the football pyramid.  You’re right, it’s not a closed shop.  Same goes for the ‘Champions League’ - it’s fundamentally different from the old European Cup for the same reasons.  Money knackered football decades ago. 

That's not how it was originally pitched. Some qualify, but some super duper very special clubs can't ever get relegated.

Well the plan changed in the Two and a half years since the original proposal. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Even if we were invited in, I’d walk from the club if we entered it.  Bollocks to that.  We’d need a new Newcastle club. 

I meant we as in English clubs, not us specifically. Understand the sentiment though.

1 minute ago, kocunar said:

Well the plan changed in the Two and a half years since the original proposal. 

You have to qualify for the champions league but the way its set up means its more likely that certain clubs will almost be one step below "guaranteed" and they are even  pushing for that (legacy teams).