Proposed European Super League

madras

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I thought it was you would be expelled from the league if you join, could be wrong though.

Really that’s interesting, but the rules can easily be changed, especially if the new structure had 14 places spread over say 3 divisions? 

you know the saying? Money talks bullshit walks. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

Not to defend this shower, but I wouldn’t unilaterally walk away if we joined mind. Obviously this situation is extremely turbulent and lacking in any detail. A future could exist whereby this league is the only game in town. 

Only game in town as in European football, or only game for English clubs?  If NUFC broke away from the FA and UEFA to join this unsanctioned shit show them the club would be dead to me. 

42 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I wonder where this leaves ffp? At least needs a rethink if not scrapped. Hopefully someone is ready to challenge it in court, if they aren't already.

If a super league happened they would have no ffp so they can hoover up all the talent whereas the huge drop in tv revenue for us would be crippling

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Only game in town as in European football, or only game for English clubs?  If NUFC broke away from the FA and UEFA to join this unsanctioned shit show them the club would be dead to me. 

Only game in town as in European football. I mean this shit show has money behind it. Ultimately football clubs need to bring in revenue of a split is to happen who will blink first?

Its kinda like the PGA and Liv golf guess who won that?

22 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think the opposite is true - UEFA will be shutting their pants that the usual suspects will be raring to fuck off again.  FFP is what keeps the status quo - they’ll bend over backwards for them now

UEFA FFP is open to challenge and I’m sure it’s coming as is PL FFP and FMV.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Only game in town as in European football. I mean this shit show has money behind it. Ultimately football clubs need to bring in revenue of a split is to happen who will blink first?

Its kinda like the PGA and Liv golf guess who won that?

Golf is a sport for individuals - wealthy individuals, mainly.  It’s not comparable for me - there was no real outcry re LIV on a national level (there was within the sport); no-one views Graeme McDowell as a national institution.  

Golf is a sport for individuals - wealthy individuals, mainly.  It’s not comparable for me - there was no real outcry re LIV on a national level (there was within the sport); no-one views Graeme McDowell as a national institution.  

The point I’m making is you had an established vs new money. New money tried to play nice got rejected and just pulled the cheque book and bought the whole thing. 

the same scenario would apply here. If a split happens Uefa clubs will bleed money and join. It’s just a matter of time. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Not to defend this shower, but I wouldn’t unilaterally walk away if we joined mind. Obviously this situation is extremely turbulent and lacking in any detail. A future could exist whereby this league is the only game in town. 

I’d have no qualms fucking the club off. Taking all the worst elements of the modern game and amplifying it by 100 doesn’t appeal.

You only have to look at the ESL’s argument - that football is an entertainment product and not a cultural one - to see the direction of travel they want to take.

They don’t like football, they like money. They want the game without the things that make it great - the risk, the giant killings, the heritage.

Fuck em and fuck NUFC if they want to be part of it.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

The point I’m making is you had an established vs new money. New money tried to play nice got rejected and just pulled the cheque book and bought the whole thing. 

the same scenario would apply here. If a split happens Uefa clubs will bleed money and join. It’s just a matter of time. 

I take your point, but it’s still hard to see how that happens.  European places are in the gift of the FA, the FA is a member of UEFA - I don’t see circumstances where the FA allows English clubs to effectively break away from UEFA. 

Just now, christ said:

I’d have no qualms fucking the club off. Taking all the worst elements of the modern game and amplifying it by 100 doesn’t appeal.

You only have to look at the ESL’s argument - that football is an entertainment product and not a cultural one - to see the direction of travel they want to take.

They don’t like football, they like money. They want the game without the things that make it great - the risk, the giant killings, the heritage.

Fuck em and fuck NUFC if they want to be part of it.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the initial proposal was rancid. 

But you would walk away from the club if they joined if it was the only competition in town in terms of European competitions?

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Don’t get me wrong, I think the initial proposal was rancid. 

But you would walk away from the club if they joined if it was the only competition in town in terms of European competitions?

Depends on the specifics but if it looks anything like what was initially proposed then yes. 

Or calling bullshit on it if their ‘custodians of the club’ patter is genuine

Being custodians involves doing the best to safe keep the future of the club. Ultimately they have to react according to any change.