A year in the life of Kevin

BottledDog

Article - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article6974599.ece

For the second January in succession, it is shaping up to be a meaningful month for Kevin Nolan. Twelve months after being thrust into the maelstrom of Newcastle United, the midfield player — leading goalscorer for an unusually stable side, six points clear at the top of the Coca-Cola Championship — has baby No 2 on the way. He has not been put off; it will be born a Geordie.

Present on Tyneside for Newcastle’s annus horribilis of three managers, relegation, another failed attempt to sell the club, the Kevin Keegan tribunal, a fire-sale of players, the furore over naming rights and, more encouragingly, renewal on the pitch, few men are better qualified than Nolan to reflect on a mayhem-strewn 2009.

There are no new year’s resolutions, just a yearning for his team’s new resolution to continue.

So many events, such a jumble of memories. A unique time, both bleak and strangely heartening, but Nolan has “enjoyed every minute of it”. He corrects himself. “Obviously, what happened in May was disgraceful. . . that’s probably the wrong word, but it was very, very sad,” he said. Yet part of him had already fallen in love. “This place gets under your skin.” But first. . . rewind.

January 2009: “I’d played for Bolton Wanderers on a Wednesday night. Then I got the call that Newcastle had tabled a bid. I’d never done a medical or moved away from my family; [i’d] always been five minutes from my mum and dad’s. But I knew I was joining a fantastic club. A couple of days later, we’re playing Sunderland in front of 52,000 at St James’ Park. It was just mad.”

Mad days became manic months. Joe Kinnear’s management was arrested by illness, Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood filled the breach and then Alan Shearer was appointed for the last eight games of the season. Discipline tightened, but results were appalling; between his signing and demotion, Nolan played in only two victorious sides.

May: “It was a serious low. We relegated a club which should never be relegated from the Premier League. I’ll have to live with that for the rest of my life. Every player who played in that team, whether for one game or all of them, let the club down. Nobody can look at themselves in the mirror and say they didn’t. I’m as much to blame as anybody.

“There were a lot of battered egos. The old myth about being too good to go down was exploded; we weren’t a team, we weren’t as good as we thought we were. And things were leaking out from everywhere; papers finding out about meetings, what was said. There was just a big stink about the dressing room, the whole club.”

It being Newcastle, things could always get worse. As the summer elapsed, Shearer’s reappointment was first delayed and then dismissed and takeover attempts dissolved. Players left, none were signed and those who remained were in a state of limbo, knowing nothing. Days drifted on, until a pre-season friendly away to Leyton Orient brought a 6-1 defeat and some familiar headlines.

July: “I’d had loads of time over the summer to evaluate things and I knew exactly what I wanted to do and that was stay at the club, start a new chapter for Newcastle and hopefully get them back to where they belong. But it was clear that some lads, for whatever reasons, didn’t want that. We just asked them to be honest with us and themselves.

“At Orient we had our behinds whupped and that was probably the best thing that happened. You could see their players were getting a kick out of beating Newcastle. It was after that when we put a system in place, when we took responsibility as staff and players. Do we blame everything on what’s been happening outside or do we set the agenda ourselves? We wanted to show our supporters that we’re Newcastle United — together, on and off the pitch. We’ve got a lot of young lads in our team and people are always going to make mistakes, but if somebody’s not doing something right, we tell them. We keep it in-house. This club hasn’t had that sort of philosophy for a long time.”

Amid the emotive outpouring that followed Sir Bobby Robson’s death, Newcastle travelled to West Bromwich Albion on the opening day of the season, but conclusions could not be drawn from a fixture against fellow warriors of the wasteland. Their first home game was against Reading, a leap in the dark. On landing, they clutched a 3-0 victory.

August: “A crowd of 37,000 at a club supposedly in turmoil. . . the lads said, ‘We’ve got to give these fans what they want to see, we’ve got to make the ground a fortress.’ We know we’re not playing the greatest football, but the mentality is to turn up, play the ugly stuff if necessary, win.”

On the field, Newcastle have embraced serenity. They have not lost at home and are eight points above the play-off places. As Nolan put it: “If we get stability on the pitch it’ll go from there to the stands to upstairs and then we’ll get where we want to be. But it’s going to be a long, slow process.”

Personally, Nolan feels rejuvenated. The 27-year-old, close to an England cap during Bolton’s success under Sam Allardyce, has left his comfort zone and yet is eminently settled. Clear of the injuries — cracked ribs, two ankle operations — that disfigured previous seasons, he has scored 11 goals. “How can you come here and not love it?” he said.

January 2010: “Maybe some people don’t embrace it, but they say that Geordies are just like Scousers and it’s true. I miss my family dearly, but I haven’t been home for three months and that’s because I feel so comfortable. When I finally leave this club, I want to know that when I next come back up they’ll be asking me to pull my boots on.

“We’re not taking anything for granted, but we know that even if we do go up, there are going to be changes, but whether we have a new manager or six new players, we have to make sure there’s something to build on, something expected of people when they step through the door. We want to look back on this as the start of a revolution at Newcastle.” The Blaydon Races is their La Marseillaise; decency, honesty, fraternity, their motto.

Viva La Revolution! :thup:

Article - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article6974599.ece

January 2010: “Maybe some people don’t embrace it, but they say that Geordies are just like Scousers and it’s true. I miss my family dearly, but I haven’t been home for three months and that’s because I feel so comfortable. When I finally leave this club, I want to know that when I next come back up they’ll be asking me to pull my boots on.

:facepalm:

what does he mean when he says "I miss my family dearly, but I haven’t been home for three months and that’s because I feel so comfortable." are we talking family as in parents etc cos lets face it we all dio that...or wife  ?

what does he mean when he says "I miss my family dearly, but I haven’t been home for three months and that’s because I feel so comfortable." are we talking family as in parents etc cos lets face it we all dio that...or wife  ?

Home as in his parents and extended family down west presumably if his kid's going to be a Geordie.

parents i presume in the article he refers never been more than 5 mins away from his mum and dad before so obviously thats a big difference in his life

I read an article about him several weeks ago and he said how close he was with his father in particular who had given him a lot of advice regarding his career path especially when the opoortunity came to join NUFC.

Guest Stephen927

I know it's hard to face, but he will leave one day. He cannot play professional football for Newcastle into his 40s, only Nicky Butt can do that.

I know it's hard to face, but he will leave one day. He cannot play professional football for Newcastle into his 40s, only Nicky Butt can do that.

I showed this post to a workmate of mine.

This was his reaction.

http://blogs.radiotown.com/breezy/files/2009/07/man_crying.jpg

Guest michaelfoster

Newcastle United player Kevin Nolan stopped his Bentley to offer help to a vet from Ponteland, Northumberland, who was stuck in a snowdrift nearby.

When that didn't work, he drove home and came back in his 4x4 Jeep. Sarma, 33, says: "When Kevin turned up I knew I recognised him from somewhere but couldn't place him.

He didn't act like a rock star or anything, he was just a really nice bloke. I just said, 'Do I know you?' and he just put his hand out and said, 'Hi, I'm Kevin.' It was only then that I realised who he was."

-------------

Fair play to him tbh

Newcastle United player Kevin Nolan stopped his Bentley to offer help to a vet from Ponteland, Northumberland, who was stuck in a snowdrift nearby.

When that didn't work, he drove home and came back in his 4x4 Jeep. Sarma, 33, says: "When Kevin turned up I knew I recognised him from somewhere but couldn't place him.

He didn't act like a rock star or anything, he was just a really nice bloke. I just said, 'Do I know you?' and he just put his hand out and said, 'Hi, I'm Kevin.' It was only then that I realised who he was."

-------------

Fair play to him tbh

Nolan himself actually didn't pull the car out of the snow as he was out to get his Jeep to help. But of course nice to hear he wanted to help  O0

Ponteland vet helped out of snow by NUFC star

Tony SarmaHis goals are helping to drag the Magpies out of the Championship - now Toon star Kevin Nolan is offering a rescue service of a more conventional kind.

Newcastle's top goalscorer came to the aid of a Tyneside vet who found himself stranded in the snow.

He first offered to save Tony Sarma, pictured, from a snowdrift in his Bentley, but when that didn't work he went to get his 4x4 to carry out the good deed.

And today Magpies fan Tony, who lives in Ponteland, said a heartfelt thanks to the Toon player.

He said: "I was stuck for more than 30 minutes and I was really concerned. There was me and a couple of blokes who live nearby who were trying to help.

"But it wasn't moving and there was nothing we could do. When Kevin turned up I knew I recognised him from somewhere but couldn't place him.

"He didn't act like a rock star or anything, he was just a really nice bloke. I just said, 'Do I know you?' and he just put his hand out and said, 'Hi, I'm Kevin'. It was only then that I realised who he was. He went to get his other car and he was really sound."

Tony, 33, was outside his mum's house on Whinfell Road, Darras Hall, Ponteland, when he realised his car wouldn't move.

He had been called to Gateshead to carry out an emergency procedure on a friend's pet when his car became stuck in the treacherous weather that caused chaos across Tyneside.

As he tried to haul the stranded vehicle from a snowdrift, he was offered a helping hand from unexpected passerby Nolan.

Tony said: "By the time he returned with the Jeep, a white van had already pulled up and helped us get the car out.

"But we waited for Kevin to get back and he was really apologetic that he hadn't been able to help - but he was only gone 15 minutes.

"He apologised but I just ended up thanking him for everything he's done for the team.

"I'm a big Newcastle fan and I go to a lot of the away games. He was a perfectly normal bloke."

Dad-of-one Nolan came to Tyneside in January 2009 following a £4m transfer from Bolton.

He was helpless to prevent Newcastle's relegation from top-flight football last season, but scored his first goal for the club against Crystal Palace in August.

The 27-year-old bagged a hat-trick in Newcastle's 4- 0 away win against Ipswich Town in September.

He has scored 11 goals so far this season in all competitions.

I like Nolan.

Ok he might be overweight, he might have been shocking last season and he might always be out on the drink but he comes across as a really good guy. He loves his celebrations infront of the fans too. He's turned himself around this season imo and he's become a likeable guy and player again.

I like Nolan.

Ok he might be overweight, he might have been shocking last season and he might always be out on the drink but he comes across as a really good guy. He loves his celebrations infront of the fans too. He's turned himself around this season imo and he's become a likeable guy and player again.

Don't think he was that shocking last season compared to our other players imo.

I like Nolan.

Don't think he was that shocking last season compared to our other players imo.

That's because you couldn't see him due to him playing hide and seek when on the pitch.