A creative midfielder

Jordan

Kevin macdonald or valero

If you mean Borja Valero then he's already failed in England once with West Brom last season. I think he's back at Mallorca on loan, but from what I remember he was never suited to English football and was a total flop.

Kevin macdonald or valero

If you mean Borja Valero then he's already failed in England once with West Brom last season. I think he's back at Mallorca on loan, but from what I remember he was never suited to English football and was a total flop.

Looked classy as owt when I watched Mallorca the other day.

He never settled at West Brom though.

Guest firetotheworks

Cant be arsed to read the suggestions, but mine are:

Bullard,

Eagles,

Geovanni.

Although obviously completely unrealistic, we really need someone more or less exactly like Benayoun imo.

Guest firetotheworks

What was wrong with D'Alessandro when he was over here? He was always on the bench, but when he came on he always looked like a match winner.

If we were going for experience, a cheeky bid for Patrick Viera to get us up and stabilise us. He would cost a lot in wages but he would be worth it, if he would come.

not at a time when it's obvious he'll not take risks financially. also i doubt we'd get a viera as much as a player having a pay day and not doing what he's supposed to.

Guest Heneage

What was wrong with D'Alessandro when he was over here? He was always on the bench, but when he came on he always looked like a match winner.

He was fantastic, but he's absolutely mental as well. Think Di Canio on acid, he's playing in Brazil at the moment if memory serves, how well I don't know, but for Portsmouth and later Zaragoza I always liked the look of him, especially if we played a sort of 5 man midfield Manchester City employ.

As for Valero, don't rule him out so quickly, he by all accounts has been fantastic this season for Mallorca, and while he doesn't look like getting in the Spain squad, he should be considered, the problem is he's stated he'd like to move back to Spain, which is a shame, I'd quite like us to get more traditional (Cliché) attacking midfielders, with a bit of creativity and flair. I miss Robert, Solano, and Dyer. :sadnod:

Vieira is also finsihed btw, Mattis will back me up on this, but his mobility was a strength of his, now he's just done for, there's a reason Dacourt didn't get many games for Fulham and is now in Belgium.

Madras

I agree that he doesnt fit into the category that Ashley wants but he is an exceptional player and we are still a big club. I could imagine the influence he would have on some of the younger up and coming players in the club such as Vukic and Inman.

However, you are right. It is a fantasy but it would a great coup to get someone of his ability and experience for a couple of years.

Guest Heneage

Where is Dacourt like Kez?

He's playing for Standard Liege of Belgium, played 3 games, I think he was signed as cover really, but for me him and Vieira are one in the same; One time very good defensive midfielders, who now lack the fitness required by the top tier leagues.

He's playing for Standard Liege of Belgium, played 3 games, I think he was signed as cover really, but for me him and Vieira are one in the same; One time very good defensive midfielders, who now lack the fitness required by the top tier leagues.

Petit was the defensive midfielder in the Vieiera Petit partnership though. There's probably onely been the Keane and Scholes partnership that has been better than it in the premiership aswell.

Guest Heneage

Petit was the defensive midfielder in the Vieiera Petit partnership though. There's probably onely been the Keane and Scholes partnership that has been better than it in the premiership aswell.

At Juve, and Inter he's been used as a defensive midfielder, but then again I'm sure King Dawson would debate who and what a defensive midfielder is.

Guest Roger Kint

FMtastic thread some brilliantly mental suggestions(Montolivio, Vieira, Defour etc)  :mackems:

The likes of Milijas and maybe loaning top 4 youngsters will no doubt be our limit realistically unless we can find quality outside England prepared to come here. Although out of interest i will be watching Gijon's next game to see Ronaldos suggestion as i havent seen any Spanish football this season

Guest Heneage

FMtastic thread some brilliantly mental suggestions(Montolivio, Vieira, Defour etc)  :mackems:

The likes of Milijas and maybe loaning top 4 youngsters will no doubt be our limit realistically unless we can find quality outside England prepared to come here. Although out of interest i will be watching Gijon's next game to see Ronaldos suggestion as i havent seen any Spanish football this season

Milijas is someone I said for a long time should be our first target IF Wolves went down, he looks quality, but not the most athletic.

I'd love a creative midfielder but there are nowt around that we could aford/would want to come - can only hope we uncover some youngster

We don't necessarily need a creative player, the best one's cost a fortune and the one's we could afford will be over the hill. A midfielder with a good engine who can score a few goals would do. The last decent attacking midfielder we had was Rob Lee about a decade ago or Kieron Dyer when he was fit. I would agree the best bet is to try and buy a promising youngster. I can see Hughton deciding other areas are a priority though and sticking with the long ball game to get round the fact our midfielders are clapped out farts.

Guest Roger Kint

Milijas is someone I said for a long time should be our first target IF Wolves went down, he looks quality, but not the most athletic.

head and shoulders above the current inhabitants of our 'engine room' mind

We don't necessarily need a creative player, the best one's cost a fortune and the one's we could afford will be over the hill. A midfielder with a good engine who can score a few goals would do. The last decent attacking midfielder we had was Rob Lee about a decade ago or Kieron Dyer when he was fit. I would agree the best bet is to try and buy a promising youngster. I can see Hughton deciding other areas are a priority though and sticking with the long ball game to get round the fact our midfielders are clapped out farts.

I think the gradual tactical evolution has meant that box to box energitic attacking central midfielders are dying out.

Even the likes of Gerard and Lampard quite often just hover outside penalty boxes. Scott Parker  & Mark noble don't score goals. Stephen Ireland is a slow moving box to box midfielder.

Maybe Lee Bowyer ? Fellani ? Bullard ? Murphy ? Cana / Cattermole ? Pallacios ?

Kevin Nolan was "meant" to be the one.