A creative midfielder

Jordan

Preparing to get shot down in flames...

Pedro Mendes - Good passer, good shot, Rangers need the money. Could definitely get him on the cheap.

Dream buy for me (in our current situation) would be Stephen Ireland. Think he's quality.

I don't understand the obsession with the tag 'creative'. What we need is a midfielder to run the game, someone who can take it by the scruff of the neck, retain possession and ensure the opposition don't rung rings round us like they do half the fucking time at the moment. Our midfield is still a disgrace, we're just getting away with it.

Once we've actually got control of a game, which for all our results this season we've barely done, we can start looking for players with specific attributes to help us unlock defences. I thought Barton might be this player when we signed him but he's been shit or injured for 90% of the time. We still miss our Gary Speed or Rob Lee, neither of whom would be given the tag 'creative' but would both make a huge difference.

Guest firetotheworks

I can guarantee that if Scott Parker hadn't played for us before, people would be crying out for him.

If he's back next season, a cheeky loan bid for Ruben de la Red from Real Madrid...if for nothing more than the fact it translates as "Ruben of the internet", which would be ironic given fans reactions and scouting techniques to bring in a couple of our La Liga signings using that method.

Box to box midfielders dying out.

Absolutely no way! A good side will have everyone, not just the midfielders able to run for 90 minutes and able to attack and defend as a unit. Players interchanging, full backs working the entire flanks, defenders driving forward into the opponents half, forwards harrying the defenders not giving them a minutes peace.

Wait till the world cup comes round and watch big powerful players you have never heard of doing just that in every game.

Football nowadays is faster and more athletic than it has ever been IMO. Anyone who dwells and doesnt get themselves and the ball zipping around with pace and guile will stuggle against sides that do.

That is why you cannot carry slow or aging players particularly in midfield and expect to succeed.

I don't understand the obsession with the tag 'creative'. What we need is a midfielder to run the game, someone who can take it by the scruff of the neck, retain possession and ensure the opposition don't rung rings round us like they do half the fucking time at the moment. Our midfield is still a disgrace, we're just getting away with it.

Once we've actually got control of a game, which for all our results this season we've barely done, we can start looking for players with specific attributes to help us unlock defences. I thought Barton might be this player when we signed him but he's been shit or injured for 90% of the time. We still miss our Gary Speed or Rob Lee, neither of whom would be given the tag 'creative' but would both make a huge difference.

Absolutely. A 'creative midfielder' or a playmaker, or whatever, would be near pointless when you consider the horrendous movement of our forward players.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't understand the obsession with the tag 'creative'. What we need is a midfielder to run the game, someone who can take it by the scruff of the neck, retain possession and ensure the opposition don't rung rings round us like they do half the f***ing time at the moment. Our midfield is still a disgrace, we're just getting away with it.

Once we've actually got control of a game, which for all our results this season we've barely done, we can start looking for players with specific attributes to help us unlock defences. I thought Barton might be this player when we signed him but he's been s*** or injured for 90% of the time. We still miss our Gary Speed or Rob Lee, neither of whom would be given the tag 'creative' but would both make a huge difference.

Absolutely. A 'creative midfielder' or a playmaker, or whatever, would be near pointless when you consider the horrendous movement of our forward players.

Guns need bullets though, and we still need a decent midfielder to create or take control of matches.

Haven't read the full thread so apologies for any ignorance shown. I think we have a adequate creative player who if was given a sustained run in the middle of midfield with Smith anchoring behind him would do the trick until the summer. If only Hughton would give Danny Guthrie a chance. Then we could actually focus on signing a wide right player and not have to rely on the headless Pancrate  :undecided:

Obraniak, out of contract in 6 months.

Doesn't want to sign a new contract and the only club I've heard him being seriously linked with is Rennes. Only seen him in the national games but he definitely looks like a tidy player with good technical skills who can play as a creative midfielder or out on the wing.

edit: Hmm nevermind, seems his contract is out in 2011. Must have missed that somehow, doubt we'll have money for him then.