The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can't see jol doing that. Always liked him.we need someone of his experience at the club next year though to assist hughton.

I disagree. The management structure at the club right now needs exactly one thing: no change.

If Hughton fails then sack him then and get someone who'll do better. No need to muck exhume an idea that's already failed spectacularly in the mean time.

This. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Can't see jol doing that. Always liked him.we need someone of his experience at the club next year though to assist hughton.

I disagree. The management structure at the club right now needs exactly one thing: no change.

If Hughton fails then sack him then and get someone who'll do better. No need to exhume an idea that's already failed spectacularly in the mean time.

Absolutely spot on. The air up there doing wonders for your thought process oldtype  :joker:

Why aren't we even considering the idea of giving Hughton solid time to have a crack at the job? David Moyes went to Everton with nothing but CCC experience and potential. He's been given time to build a squad, and they have reaped the rewards with stability and are a force in the premiership to be reckoned with. Why on Earth can't we even dicuss that? So we lose 4 out of our first 7 next season. So fuck?? Haven't we learned anything??

Something on Talksport this morning about Martin Jol being brought in to work with him which personally I would approve of 100% but I can't believe Hughton would be happy about it.

I think I can spot the problem with this  :lol:

Watching his interviews and reactions today I was chuffed to bits for him. He seemed overwhelmed when his name was being sang and genuinely proud of being a part of Newcastle United.

I'd like to think this recognition continues until at least the end of the season.

Watching his interviews and reactions today I was chuffed to bits for him. He seemed overwhelmed when his name was being sang and genuinely proud of being a part of Newcastle United.

I'd like to think this recognition continues until at least the end of the season.

Oh there was tears like he was just blown away

Guest Roger Kint

Something on Talksport this morning about Martin Jol being brought in to work with him which personally I would approve of 100% but I can't believe Hughton would be happy about it.

I think I can spot the problem with this  :lol:

Mike Parry was fucking cringeworthy listening today, worst case of fishing i ever heard.........this from the kings of appalling listening and baiting. I shouldnt be surprised with those idiots but they somehow manage to lower the bar on a daily basis ;D

Look we are all feeling a tad sentimental and there is no doubt that Hughton has done well in CCC. I would say though that our performance in this league has also been aided greatly by having the best squad/first XI in the league (how many other teams can boast having players going to the World Cup?), so it's not like we've done well purely out of Hughton's tactical brilliance. What he has undoubtedly brought to the team is stability, a sense of calmness and team unity.

Having said all that, to pretend that he has not done poorly as caretaker when we were in the Premier League would be lying to ourselves. How many times have we complained that he kept on playing the wrong players, how many times have we noted that he makes his substitutions way too late to change games? When we came from behind, is it because Hughton changed things around or because the players just pushed harder?

I like the man a lot, but I have my doubts on whether he is good enough for the Premier League, I would not mind getting him a credible assistant or if push comes to shove, then giving him a different role (as coach maybe), but only if we get a good manager lined up. At the end of the day, what matters is NUFC not any particular individual. Mark my words, if we screw up the first 10 games, then the same people loving Hughton now will get on his back pronto and things will get ugly. 

Look we are all feeling a tad sentimental and there is no doubt that Hughton has done well in CCC. I would say though that our performance in this league has also been aided greatly by having the best squad/first XI in the league (how many other teams can boast having players going to the World Cup?), so it's not like we've done well purely out of Hughton's tactical brilliance. What he has undoubtedly brought to the team is stability, a sense of calmness and team unity.

Having said all that, to pretend that he has not done poorly as caretaker when we were in the Premier League would be lying to ourselves. How many times have we complained that he kept on playing the wrong players, how many times have we noted that he makes his substitutions way too late to change games? When we came from behind, is it because Hughton changed things around or because the players just pushed harder?

I like the man a lot, but I have my doubts on whether he is good enough for the Premier League, I would not mind getting him a credible assistant or if push comes to shove, then giving him a different role (as coach maybe), but only if we get a good manager lined up. At the end of the day, what matters is NUFC not any particular individual. Mark my words, if we screw up the first 10 games, then the same people loving Hughton now will get on his back pronto and things will get ugly. 

So all of his success this season is totally qualified yet last season's caretaker record isn't in any way misleading despite the fact the club was being absolutely ripped apart from every angle? We could have got Capello in as caretaker last season and he would have likely struggled such was the state of the club.

As for complaining re the players selected, after ONE transfer window he has remedied that almost completely with most match day threads showing people are pretty content with the line up. With regards substitutes, we moan about this all the time, yet time and again the player we're all saying should be taken off scores / gets an assist. See Nolan last night as a nice recent example. Also, see Pancrate at half time in the game before at Peterborough. A change was needed and Hughton made it.

I genuinely cannot believe we are having this debate. Promotion sealed with 6 games to go and yet still people aren't happy. I was one of the nay sayers right up until the Christmas / New Year period but he has won me over. He has signed the right players, got the right results and instilled the right attitude. Fuck knows what more you expect. But you're right, lets get rid now, have our reputations as laughing stocks restored and continue with our policy of screwing up any stability the club has had to chase a possible short term solution that likely won't even work. Brilliant.

So all of his success this season is totally qualified yet last season's caretaker record isn't in any way misleading despite the fact the club was being absolutely ripped apart from every angle? We could have got Capello in as caretaker last season and he would have likely struggled such was the state of the club.

As for complaining re the players selected, after ONE transfer window he has remedied that almost completely with most match day threads showing people are pretty content with the line up. With regards substitutes, we moan about this all the time, yet time and again the player we're all saying should be taken off scores / gets an assist. See Nolan last night as a nice recent example. Also, see Pancrate at half time in the game before at Peterborough. A change was needed and Hughton made it.

I genuinely cannot believe we are having this debate. Promotion sealed with 6 games to go and yet still people aren't happy. I was one of the nay sayers right up until the Christmas / New Year period but he has won me over. He has signed the right players, got the right results and instilled the right attitude. f*** knows what more you expect. But you're right, lets get rid now, have our reputations as laughing stocks restored and continue with our policy of screwing up any stability the club has had to chase a possible short term solution that likely won't even work. Brilliant.

Right coz that's what I said that I am not happy with what he has done this season. Well done  :clap:

Try to calm down and read the post again will ya

I genuinely cannot believe we are having this debate. Promotion sealed with 6 games to go and yet still people aren't happy. I was one of the nay sayers right up until the Christmas / New Year period but he has won me over. He has signed the right players, got the right results and instilled the right attitude. f*** knows what more you expect. But you're right, lets get rid now, have our reputations as laughing stocks restored and continue with our policy of screwing up any stability the club has had to chase a possible short term solution that likely won't even work. Brilliant.

Right coz that's what I said that I am not happy with what he has done this season. Well done  :clap:

Try to calm down and read the post again will ya

Err... Your suggestion is essentially to replace him or usurp him, changing the structure and clearly making him look and feel like he isn't trusted to do the job. He's the manager, he's chosen his assistant and coaching staff, so with your suggestion Ashley goes in over his head and says 'sorry Chris, we know better than you and don't think you're upto this, so we're bringing in x to work with you / monitor you'. Exactly what part of that sounds like a reasonable plan that wouldn't cause a massive amount of disharmony throughout the club?

Why is it that people constantly harp on about his caretaker period at Newcastle as an indication of his unsuitability as a Premiership manager, but never take into consideration his period as the temporary manager at Tottenham?

/not that results as a caretaker should be taken as an indicator of very much if anything in my humble opinion.

top top post.

And no AlPal, I won't be getting on his back when things start going pear shaped. I'll leave that bollocks to the rats and booers.

He's had a good year to really to get used to it and build his own team.

The players respect him and play for him, he is bringing in his own players and really getting to grips with football management - we're in a completely new situation to when he was caretaker last year.

Guest malandro

Keep Chris!

Lets face it the guy came in when we were at our lowest point and as far as i am aware he did not moan or bitch about the whole situation once! He puut his head down and got on with the job and in doing so he stabilised the club froim the players up.

He deserves his chance and, although there are improvements that need to be made such as suad selection and the introduction of exciting/attacking football, i reaally think that this guy can become great but not a messiah because we already have too many of those :D  

If there’s one person who’s benefited from the turmoil at the club since Ashley took over its Chris Hughton. It would have been a bit rich if he’d started moaning about it.

Keep Chris!

Lets face it the guy came in when we were at our lowest point and as far as i am aware he did not moan or bitch about the whole situation once! He puut his head down and got on with the job and in doing so he stabilised the club froim the players up.

He deserves his chance and, although there are improvements that need to be made such as suad selection and the introduction of exciting/attacking football, i reaally think that this guy can become great but not a messiah because we already have too many of those :D 

If there’s one person who’s benefited from the turmoil at the club since Ashley took over its Chris Hughton. It would have been a bit rich if he’d started moaning about it.

Yes he'll benefit even more when he's the lowest paid manager in the premier league. :rolleyes:

Guest malandro

Lovenkrands had some "gilt edged" chances last night and I thought sheffield were toothless up front. There goal was a lack of fight and concentration from our marker, gifted him that header...

A fair score I thought, although the defenders around Nolan suffered some "matrix" slow motion reactions whilst he scratched his arse, positioned himself, took a sup and then overgut kicked the ball into the back of the net. As long as he keeps scoring I'm not too bothered. He was all over the pitch last night regardless of how "overweight" he looks to some. Good shift!

Hughton kept faith well when they looked a bit lethargic in the first half and they fairly dominated the second. I'll put it down to his half time tea cup tantrum :)

Well done to hughton and good luck for next season, I am 100% behind him and would be dissapointed if another manager was brought in.

Which he missed. Next season he’ll be even more likely to miss them as chances will be scarcer and the pressure to put them away will be greater. Our opponents however will make more chances and be more likely to put them away. I know this is stating the obvious but goals change games and we haven’t been punished this season. How many times have we been two goals down and chasing the game, once and we lost three nowt? A lot has been made of the team’s resilience but in reality it’s not been greatly tested.

Lovenkrands had some "gilt edged" chances last night and I thought sheffield were toothless up front. There goal was a lack of fight and concentration from our marker, gifted him that header...

A fair score I thought, although the defenders around Nolan suffered some "matrix" slow motion reactions whilst he scratched his arse, positioned himself, took a sup and then overgut kicked the ball into the back of the net. As long as he keeps scoring I'm not too bothered. He was all over the pitch last night regardless of how "overweight" he looks to some. Good shift!

Hughton kept faith well when they looked a bit lethargic in the first half and they fairly dominated the second. I'll put it down to his half time tea cup tantrum :)

Well done to hughton and good luck for next season, I am 100% behind him and would be dissapointed if another manager was brought in.

Which he missed. Next season hell be even more likely to miss them as chances will be scarcer and the pressure to put them away will be greater. Our opponents however will make more chances and be more likely to put them away. I know this is stating the obvious but goals change games and we havent been punished this season. How many times have we been two goals down and chasing the game, once and we lost three nowt? A lot has been made of the teams resilience but in reality its not been greatly tested.

:nope:

Guest malandro

Keep Chris!

Yes he'll benefit even more when he's the lowest paid manager in the premier league. :rolleyes:

Still a lot better than being an assistant manager of no real repute, and better paid. If Wise hadn’t brought Hughton in just before the shit started hitting the fan he’d probably never of had a shot at management, or if he did he’d have to have started right down the leagues and earned a shot at managing a club of NUFC’s stature.

He’s taken his opportunity well but trying to deny NUFC’s misfortune has been very good for Hughton’s career is wankfest thinking.

Which he missed. Next season he’ll be even more likely to miss them as chances will be scarcer and the pressure to put them away will be greater. Our opponents however will make more chances and be more likely to put them away. I know this is stating the obvious but goals change games and we haven’t been punished this season. How many times have we been two goals down and chasing the game, once and we lost three nowt? A lot has been made of the team’s resilience but in reality it’s not been greatly tested.

bristol away