The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

If hughton doesn't bring in a striker, he'll deserve the criticism from fans and media alike, and it'll very likely eventually get him the sack when we can't win any game due to not having someone who can stick back of the net

Guest Heneage

If hughton doesn't bring in a striker, he'll deserve the criticism from fans and media alike, and it'll very likely eventually get him the sack when we can't win any game due to not having someone who can stick back of the net

Are midfielders and defenders not allowed to shoot?

IMO Hughton has proven himself to be quite astute at seeing what the team needs and I think it will be just as obvious to him as it is to everyone else that our main priority is a striker.

IMO Hughton has proven himself to be quite astute at seeing what the team needs and I think it will be just as obvious to him as it is to everyone else that our main priority is a striker.

I agree that Hughton is perfectly aware that we need a striker, but at the moment I'm not sure it is the biggest priority, or should be. The defense is in a horrific state following the injuries to Kadar, Perch and Taylor.

They might be shit, but at least we have some cover up front.

Hughton sometimes reminds me of Bobby.

He's always calm, usually in a good mood, never speaks bad about anyone, concentrates on his own team.

I really like him.

But things can change quickly in Newcastle, especially this season which will be a huge test for Hughton.

I agree that Hughton is perfectly aware that we need a striker, but at the moment I'm not sure it is the biggest priority, or should be. The defense is in a horrific state following the injuries to Kadar, Perch and Taylor.

They might be s***, but at least we have some cover up front.

Probably right at the minute, hence why I'm not against us getting Jlloyd Samuel if the rumours are true and why I'd definitely like to see us make a push for Campbell now. Then when everyone is fit we will have a fair bit of depth in defence.

Also Shola gets far too much stick for me. Decent footballer who was made a scapegoat for a mediocre team in the Souness in Roeder years. For me the perfect example of his talents is the goal at home against Forest, back to goal, turns and powers a well placed shot into the bottom corner. He didn't have to look, he knew exactly where the goal was. Then the backheel to Enrique for the 2nd :smitten: The introduction of Shola pretty much won us that game.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Shola is one of those odd players who cannit do anything right, yet always does something when it matters.

Surely it depends on the money available to him or will he magic that up?

Shola is one of those odd players who cannit do anything right, yet always does something when it matters.

He does have an uncanny knack in scoring in the big games - Barcelona, semi-final, derby games etc.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

He does have an uncanny knack in scoring in the big games - Barcelona, semi-final, derby games etc.

Aye, totally frustrating isn't he!  :lol:

Guest sicko2ndbest

Shola should be a substitute for most of the season.

His unpredictabiliy makes him quite a useful change. If he starts up front most of the season we are in trouble

Guest sicko2ndbest

Lovenkrands is premiership class

Hes bottom 6 premiership class. I fail to see him getting into any team higher than that especially the way the play

I think he would.

Pace, good movement & can finish.

14 goals in 16 games for us from around January onwards. Think hes underestimated.

I think he could get 10 at most, almost all of them coming at home.

I think he would.

Pace, good movement & can finish.

14 goals in 16 games for us from around January onwards. Think hes underestimated.

I think he could get 10 at most, almost all of them coming at home.

Would be happy with him getting 10 tbh, as long as we bring in another who can hit ~15.

Its Lovenkrands's movement off the ball is what I find most effecive about him, the way he drags defenders around leaving space for his team-mates. We are must more effective when he is playing!

Also with Shola when he is confident and gets a run of games he scares a lot of defences, this was shown at starts of last season and when Shearer got injured for a while in his last/2nd last season.

But then when he does get on form he always seems to take a knock and his confidence and form drops when he returns so he doesnt get the run of matches he needs

I trust that Hughton is the type of manager that can recognise how to get the best out of his players, so I am confident about next season!

Guest firetotheworks

Let's not talk ourselves into it. We desperately need a new striker, and no-one that we already have will change that.

Which is why nobody wanted him last summer. And why he managed 10 league goals for us minus penalties.

He's an average championship player who's past his best.

Which is why nobody wanted him last summer. And why he managed 10 league goals for us minus penalties.

He's an average championship player who's past his best.

I agree. I like the lad, but he is not premiership class.

His attitude? Really? For all the criticisms you could throw at shola attitude wouldn't be one.

In fact, it's the only thing he's got going for him :lol:

I'm assuming he means his attitude on the pitch. Ie half arsing his way around and grinning like a goon when we are losing.

When Shola actually gets motivated, fit and serious on the pitch he's an effective player for us.

For the people wetting themselves about Hughtons comments:

"He has a big part to play in our squad this season. It was only the injury that stopped him having a really big impact for us last season."

At worst he is the 3rd best striker we have at the club, (which speaks volumes) even if we bring in another striker or two he would be getting game time at somepoint this season.

His attitude? Really? For all the criticisms you could throw at shola attitude wouldn't be one.

In fact, it's the only thing he's got going for him :lol:

I'm assuming he means his attitude on the pitch. Ie half arsing his way around and grinning like a goon when we are losing.

Yep.