The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I could even see some logic in trying Tiote at right back - Perch looks like he is only going to be available for 5 in 6 games so we need to know who can slot in. Made sense to try him there last night rather than have to try it on Sunday should owt happen to Raylor

As long as he realises it doesn't / didn't work that's fair enough. 

Was Tavernier injured last night, because he was excellent in the last round.

Love how, time and again, the vast majority of us are screaming at him to do this or that (which is fine)... and he sticks to his guns and gets it right all along. It's so satisfying. We've had managers like that in the past, who were equally/more stubborn, and it's just been so inevitable that they'll fuck up in the long run. It's different with Hughton.

Love him. :smitten:

More and more convinced by him every week. The Blackpool game was a real mess and I'll admit it had me worried, but the way we've rebounded from it speaks volumes for what the man brings to the table.

Yes, I do think he makes some dodgy subs at times, but you have to remember that he's still learning this job. He's improved at it since last year, and with time I think he'll get even better.

In any case, I think it's an overrated aspect of being a good manager. Maybe it's the invention of games like FM and such, but I think people (myself included, at times) tend to overestimate how important gameday tactics are sometimes. The real work is done during the days leading up to the game, making sure the players are well prepared and approach the game with a positive attitude and a clear plan with regards to what they want to do. It doesn't have to be some complex chess strategy, just a solid gameplan that the players all understand and can work together to achieve.

Hughton seems to excel at this, and as long as he can keep this harmony in the squad I think we'll do just fine under him. 

I think he sets it out so he has a starting 11 then replacements if needed for fatigue or injury. He does still struggle with tactical subs but some are throwing the toys at every sub now and blowing it out of proportion.

Last night was a good example, Ryan Taylor staying on was getting a bit of a gamble so he brings on the only defensive minded player at his disposal and the world implodes. Fairly sure I read when we were first linked that Tiote has played that position before. Wasn't desperate for Ben arfa to get on either, staying up is still the priority and Hughton decided 1) it wasn't worth the risk and 2) we had enough out there to win. That may have been over-cautious but in the end his decision was justified.

More and more convinced by him every week. The Blackpool game was a real mess and I'll admit it had me worried, but the way we've rebounded from it speaks volumes for what the man brings to the table.

Yes, I do think he makes some dodgy subs at times, but you have to remember that he's still learning this job. He's improved at it since last year, and with time I think he'll get even better.

In any case, I think it's an overrated aspect of being a good manager. Maybe it's the invention of games like FM and such, but I think people (myself included, at times) tend to overestimate how important gameday tactics are sometimes. The real work is done during the days leading up to the game, making sure the players are well prepared and approach the game with a positive attitude and a clear plan with regards to what they want to do. It doesn't have to be some complex chess strategy, just a solid gameplan that the players all understand and can work together to achieve.

Hughton seems to excel at this, and as long as he can keep this harmony in the squad I think we'll do just fine under him. 

:facepalm:

That sentence is ridiculous tbh.

How so?

Motivation and cultivating confidence is a much more important ingredient in having a good football team, IMO.

Not saying tactics aren't important at all, just that sometimes people get it into their heads that we have to start an exact set of players, in an exact formation, if we're going to do well in a game, and that's that's not the case tbh.

How so?

Motivation and cultivating confidence is a much more important ingredient in having a good football team, IMO.

Not saying tactics aren't important at all, just that sometimes people get it into their heads that we have to start an exact set of players, in an exact formation, if we're going to do well in a game, and that's that's not the case tbh.

Tactically inept teams get found out all the time, and not being able to turn a game with subs costs points. What happens when the motivation and confidence drops? What you left with? Nothing.

Tactics is one of the most important aspects of being a manger, just look at Keegan with England, full of motivation, full of confidence, but without tactical nous couldn't complete, the likes of the tactically superior Germans humped us, and within good tactics belief, confidence and morale grows, tactics players don't agree with and you lose the two things you put above tactics. Just see Agger/Liverpool & Woy for a current example.

Fwiw I think Hughton isn't too bad tactically, he comes across as intelligent and always thinking, just doesn't have the urgency to change it around when needed.

Hughton's substitutions aren't that bad in the grand scheme of things. Robson's were just as bad if not worse - often left until the 82nd minute, often involved taking Solano off for no reason etc.

How people long for a 70th minute triple sub though.

Hughton's substitutions aren't that bad in the grand scheme of things. Robson's were just as bad if not worse - often left until the 82nd minute, often involved taking Solano off for no reason etc.

I loved those!

:smitten:

I'm curious, in a hypothetical future world where we finish in a European spot this season with the current crop of players, would people still think Hughton was tactically inept?

Obviously we won't though, but still. It just feels to me like no matter what Hughton may or may not do people's opinion of him is already set in stone as tactically inept.

I'm curious, in a hypothetical future world where we finish in a European spot this season with the current crop of players, would people still think Hughton was tactically inept?

Obviously we won't though, but still. It just feels to me like no matter what Hughton may or may not do people's opinion of him is already set in stone as tactically inept.

Racism, innit blud?

Stephen Glass must've been over the moon he was involved.

That game up here v Man Utd where he threw Glass, LuaLua & Cordone on, and within minutes, Cordone was skinning their left-back to pull it back to LuaLua to miskick the ball into the path of Glass to equalise. Glorious. :lol:

Who thinks he's tactically inept?

There was a bloke on SSN yesterday who was talking a lot of sense (Sky picking one our sensible fans?! Christ :lol: ). He said, that after the Blackpool game we had to sit back and see which of the home games was the fluke - whether it was the 6-0 Villa or 0-2 Blackpool - and with the last two games, we're starting to show that the Blackpool game was indeed the fluke.

There was a bloke on SSN yesterday who was talking a lot of sense (Sky picking one our sensible fans?! Christ :lol: ). He said, that after the Blackpool game we had to sit back and see which of the home games was the fluke - whether it was the 6-0 Villa or 0-2 Blackpool - and with the last two games, we're starting to show that the Blackpool game was indeed the fluke.

Blackpool was always going to be tough considering their relatively decent start, Gilks deciding to do his best Clark Kent impression and one of their coaches having a fucking huge stroke.

They were probably both flukes, realistically.

Some people seem hard wired to whinge. The thing is I don't know what standard people are expecting of him, the start of this thread is embarrassing in the amount of people not recognising the positive effect Hughtons hard work had had and calling out for him to be replaced by someone more experienced.

But the thing is those names that were bandied about as absolute ideals like O'Neil or Moyes have been far more appropriately pilloried for there tactics, fovouritism, and subs this season. Every manager get's the criticism, experience won't change the fact that things will not always be done exactly how we want them to, but I cant help feeling increadibly thankful that we now have a manager who's good points far, far outweigh anything else at the moment.

Chris Hughton and his staff have taken us on an incredible journey over the last year or so. I have no interest in getting irked and keep picking away at details like feeling that Smith should have been moved to right back rather than Tiote (not a view I share btw).

We are a newly promoted side who have made exceptional strides bringing talented players in on a budget, have a team more content as a group than I have seen for almost a decade if not more, and are playing the type of football that makes you exited to go to games again. Long may it continue.

i think the vibe around the club is perfect at the moment, people not expecting too much just enjoying every game as it comes and the squad seemingly have alot of confidence in their own ability and playing above themselves rather than within themselves which has often been the case for us in the past with lots of players not performing.

I just hope when we hit a poor run of form and lose a couple on the trot which is bound to happen at some stage, i hope that people dont jump on hughton too quickly.  because even though we lost to Blackpool, 8 perhaps even 9 times out of 10 we would of won that game on the balance of chances but there were a few who still thought it was a disaster.

i quess thats football though. some people think, thats it were down when u lose and omg were guna win the league when we win :)