The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The alarm bells have been ringing for a few weeks now. His subs are still clueless at times. 9 times out of 10 are always like for like, and too late in the game to do anything. He needs to learn to make 2 subs by the 55th/60th minute when we're losing or not having a control over the game. I get the feeling that he thinks it will all work out by the end of the game and thats why he never makes subs.

Like the bloke. Dislike the manager

The alarm bells ahve been ringing for a few weeks. His subs are still clueless at times. 9 times out of 10 are always like for like, and too late in the game to do anything. He needs to learn to make 2 subs by the 55th/60th mionute sometimes. I get the feeling that he thinks it will all work out by the end of the game and thats why he never makes subs.

Like the bloke. Dislike the manager

The alarm bells have been ringing for a few weeks, you're right.

Wigan at home was when they started wasn't it?

I'm interested to know what everyone thinks he should have done differently today as far as the starting XI goes?

The only beef I had with the XI was selecting a badly out of form and possibly injured Ameobi. Out of the three on the bench, I would have probably given Ranger a go.

But he went off at half time and while we improved, what really cost us was critical defensive errors. Hughton can do fuck all about losing Coloccini and Williamson, just has to go with what he's got and I don't think Campbell and Taylor are up to it.

I just think it was an abject performance but one where we've actually created chances and gifted them goals. I think the silly scale on here where Hughton moves up a bit when we win and down when we lost is getting daft. Sometimes we just have to accept that he can only use the players he has and that the other team can play well. I wouldn't have picked a different team today.

I'm interested to know what everyone thinks he should have done differently today as far as the starting XI goes?

The only beef I had with the XI was selecting a badly out of form and possibly injured Ameobi. Out of the three on the bench, I would have probably given Ranger a go.

But he went off at half time and while we improved, what really cost us was critical defensive errors. Hughton can do fuck all about losing Coloccini and Williamson, just has to go with what he's got and I don't think Campbell and Taylor are up to it.

I just think it was an abject performance but one where we've actually created chances and gifted them goals. I think the silly scale on here where Hughton moves up a bit when we win and down when we lost is getting daft. Sometimes we just have to accept that he can only use the players he has and that the other team can play well. I wouldn't have picked a different team today.

My only question mark is the lack of motivation from the off which was shocking. You are spot on about the Hughton scale, get's ludicrous on here after a loss :lol:

To be fair, Wigan was one time when his reshuffle worked as bringing Shola on with enough time left helped rescue a point.

Often though his switches are either far too late and/or far too predictable and very rarely gives the opoposition something different to think about it. Its like when i was a kid playing Champ Manager, your striker is having a 5/10 game and the only thing I could think of was to switch him for another striker and keep the same old 442. Crap analogy I know, but tactically Hughton is back at First School.

If we had've went 4-3-3 it would have been even more embarrassing IMO.  We were getting overrun to begin with.  In hindsight we should've played 4-5-1.

Throwing on 1-2 more strikers at the expense of midfielders is unimaginative tactics as well sometimes.

Anyone who thinks he should have done things differently should take a look at the bench imo. Not one established Premier League player on there other than Alan Smith - enough said. Injuries and suspensions have hit us very hard, what can the manager do about that with the funds at his disposal?

The likes of Ronaldo (and I'm not just picking on him but he shouts loudest) call him clueless because he plays Ameobi then in the same breath says that Lovenkrands and Ranger are *insert overblown criticism here* and should never play for us in the Premier League. It's ridiculous iyam.

Anyone who thinks he should have done things differently should take a look at the bench imo. Not one established Premier League player on there other than Alan Smith - enough said. Injuries and suspensions have hit us very hard, what can the manager do about that with the funds at his disposal?

The likes of Ronaldo (and I'm not just picking on him but he shouts loudest) call him clueless because he plays Ameobi then in the same breath says that Lovenkrands and Ranger are *insert overblown criticism here* and should never play for us in the Premier League. It's ridiculous iyam.

Spot on.

at least next week we're welcoming 2 players back and the week after 2 more. once the injuries/suspensions stop and an assistant finally comes in, things should get better. Plus theres the january window soon (with the return of gosling).

having said that, we've got a month of nasty fixtures and we're clearly going to lose to sunderland. i'm a bit worried for hughton now.

:lol: :thup:

:thup:

The squad is still two players short.

A proper left winger (if we play 442) and a classic second striker to play with Carroll who has a bit of pace and intelligence to drop off or buzz around for the 2nd ball. Losing Bafra (who did a bit of both) was a big hit for CH and of course losing Barton/Tiote is a miss in any game. The squad is too weak for this league once suspensions and inj start to bite and we all suspected that months ago.

Think the players are beginning to lose a bit of heart and might be aware of the difficult games ahead, sometimes it is difficult to get them to focus match by match once the form goes.

I am not saying he is clueless or anthing but the last five games LDLDL is a relgation form and not hiring an assistant is his most weakness point.... he needs an experiance man beside him...... and the sooner he gets it the better....

Chelsea

LWLLDD

I dont know where our next win is coming from tbh. I dont think we will win again in 2010, although the way this season is going we will probably beat Liverpool and Spurs away or something. Hopefully we can get something from Brum in 2 weeks but other than that I think we have to look at our first 2 games of 2011 for points. 25 points on the 5th of January would be brilliant though.

If anything our form might make Ashley and Hughton buy in January, which would be a huge positive, but if we win our first 2 games in Jan then they will probably think we are alright :undecided: No one said this season was going to be easy, it most definitely isnt.

He seems afraid to lose. That stance could be related to his contract situation, but it's certainly not an excuse for it.

Of the 3 promoted teams, we're by far the most cautious. It speaks volumes, considering we finished 11 points clear of one and 32 points clear of the other.

We're slowly drifting and with each poor performance comes more worry. We NEED to be Liverpool IMO, for the points, for the confidence, for the lift, for whatever, I just think it's vital.

We've done quite well staying away from the relegation zone, but if we end up down there I think we'll struggle to get back out of it.