The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Personally, I wouldn't praise or condemn Hughton over something he has little say or control over.

Here we go. So who's doing our transfers now? You realise we don't have a 'Director of Football' anymore, right?

An agency I reckon. Probably the one which was in charge of transfers in Summer 09. Just because there's no Director of Football on the books doesn't mean we don't pay someone to do that job. If it hadn't been for the announcement of his appointment it's not as if you would have known about Denis Wise from his constant talking to the press and appearances at all the youth and reserve games is it?

Or do you reckon Ashley has given newbie manager Hughton more power than he was willing to give to Keegan?  :nope:  Very much doubt it myself.

Personally, I wouldn't praise or condemn Hughton over something he has little say or control over.

Here we go. So who's doing our transfers now? You realise we don't have a 'Director of Football' anymore, right?

An agency I reckon. Probably the one which was in charge of transfers in Summer 09. Just because there's no Director of Football on the books doesn't mean we don't pay someone to do that job. If it hadn't been for the announcement of his appointment it's not as if you would have known about Denis Wise from his constant talking to the press and appearances at all the youth and reserve games is it?

Or do you reckon Ashley has given newbie manager Hughton more power than he was willing to give to Keegan?  :nope:  Very much doubt it myself.

I think the normal process is that the manager tells the board what positions he needs players for, the board tells the scouts to identify suitable players for our wage structure, style of play and transfer budget and then they come back with suggestions. The manager then says yes or no.

Whatever is going on at the club regarding player recruitment, it seems to be working. However, I refuse to believe that Hughton has no say at all in the players joining the club

You mention Wise's appointment being reported about, and that's the only reason we know about it. You really think the sort of system you mention would be kept under wraps for this long?

I think the normal process is that the manager tells the board what positions he needs players for, the board tells the scouts to identify suitable players for our wage structure, style of play and transfer budget and then they come back with suggestions. The manager then says yes or no.

Whatever is going on at the club regarding player recruitment, it seems to be working. However, I refuse to believe that Hughton has no say at all in the players joining the club

I never said he has no say, and I pretty much agree with your description of how it probably works (although I suspect that the "scouts" are more likely to be player agents who will give the club a list of their clients who they want a transfer fee out of so they can look them up on youtube). How much control the manager has depends very much on how heavily the players are vetted before he gets to see the options and how much say he has in the final choice (he may just have a veto). He may also have little say in which players are sold.

It's working well enough at the moment for the amounts we've been spending, as we've had good value for money on most of the bargain basement signings we've made since he's been in charge, but the problems will come if we ever step that up and bring in more expensive players. Not much fuss is made over a signing for £1 or £2M that doesn't work out, but when that gets to £5M+ expectations become (somewhat unrealistically) higher and a lot more is expected of the player. If they don't perform it will be Hughton's head on the line and his reputation which will get tarnished. Keegan knew this and that's why he wanted full control. Hughton wont leave like Keegan as at the moment he knows he's lucky to have the job, but he'll be the scapegoat if they don't fit in and do well.

5 and a half year deal imminent. ???

Nah. They'll give one to Kadar, Vuckic, Ameobi, Llambias, the groundsman, the tea lady, and then Hughton will get a 1 month extension..

Ameobi's bound to get one, can't miss him out.  :frantic:

5 and a half year deal imminent. ???

I have no doubt Ashley flew for this purpose...... I am sure they will announce it some time next week to give a momentum for the big Liverpool game on Saturday tea time.....

Aye, ok. Whatever.

The fact that the players seem happy to sign long contract extensions without any assurances over the manager's future would suggest that they don't give a shit whether he stays or goes.

Give over.

The fact that the players seem happy to sign long contract extensions without any assurances over the manager's future would suggest that they don't give a shit whether he stays or goes.

Or a deal for Hughton is imminent.

The fact that the players seem happy to sign long contract extensions without any assurances over the manager's future would suggest that they don't give a s*** whether he stays or goes.

a) who said they haven't been given assurances over his future?

b) even if they haven't, how the hell do you make the leap that they couldn't give a toss about Hughton?  You think they are all going to hold off contract talks until he signs his deal?  Maybe Taylor is doing this?  Oh wait, no, he's just a money grabbing twat

From the Mirror..

"I can tell you categorically 100 per cent that there's only one person here who selects the team and that will be the normal process.

"I will select the team. You sometimes confide in your assistants, very much Colin Calderwood when he was here, but certainly with not players. It's an impossibility. If you go down that road, it's a very dangerous road."

I can't believe you got people to bite with that :lol:

From the Mirror..

"I can tell you categorically 100 per cent that there's only one person here who selects the team and that will be the normal process.

"I will select the team. You sometimes confide in your assistants, very much Colin Calderwood when he was here, but certainly with not players. It's an impossibility. If you go down that road, it's a very dangerous road."

Nolan told him to say that.

Hughton is the first manager we've had that I haven't been able to make my mind up about for more than a two or three games at a time.  Sometimes I think he'll become a good manager and other times I'm not too sure about him.