The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If he keeps us up how would people feel about extending his contract?

I still don't think we'll attract any better, and also as long as we don't know how far he can take us I'm very curious to see how much he can build here. Seems to get most things right so far.

I think when we've heard the soundbites from Hughton over the last 6-12 months about "slow steady progress" and the buzzword from MA which seems to be "sustainable" - you can just about see the shoots of that appearing in the ground now.

I'm aware it's very early days yet and things could easily change or go wrong, but you can just about see the plan coming into action.

Just looking at his transfers on nufc.com, pretty indicative of the positive steps the club are taking towards shaping the squad from the high-wage, elderly, low-body count mess that we had 2006-08 to a younger, hungry reasonable-wage set-up.

Aug 2009  Danny Simpson  Manchester United  Loan 

Sep 2009  Peter Lovenkrands  Unattached  Free

Sep 2009  Zurab Khizanishvili  Blackburn Rovers  Loan

Sept 2009  Marlon Harewood  Aston Villa  Loan

Nov 2009  Fabrice Pancrate  Unattached  Free

Jan 2010  Danny Simpson  Manchester United  £TBC (supposedly £1.5m)

Jan 2010  Wayne Routledge  QPR  £TBC (supposedly £1.5m)

Jan 2010  Mike Williamson  Portsmouth  £TBC (supposedly £2m)

Jan 2010  Fitz Hall  QPR  Loan

Jan 2010  Patrick Van Aanholt  Chelsea  Loan

Feb 2010  Leon Best  Coventry City  £TBC (supposedly £2m)

Feb 2010  Jóan Símun Edmundsson  B68 (Faroe Islands)  Loan tbc

Jul 2010  James Perch  Nottingham Forest  £TBC (supposedly £1.5m)

Jul 2010  Dan Gosling  Unattached  Free

Jul 2010  Sol Campbell  Unattached  Free

Aug 2010  Cheik Tiote  FC Twente  £TBC (supposedly £3.5m)

Aug 2010  Hatem Ben  Arfa  Marseille  Loan

Really, really impressed with our transfer dealings over the past 12months, full credit to the management set-up for doing the majority of it under the radar as well :thup:

Nice mixture of future prospects, decent young players, experienced bodies on temporary deals and minimal outlay on transfers.

Out:

Jul 2009  Jonny Godsmark  Hereford United  Loan

Jul 2009  Fraser Forster  Bristol Rovers  Loan

Jul 2009  Obafemi Martins  Wolfsburg  £9m

Aug 2009  Sebastien Bassong  Tottenham Hotspur  £tbc (rumoured £8m)

Aug 2009  Habib Beye  Aston Villa  £tbc  (rumoured £2m)

Aug 2009  Damien Duff  Fulham  £tbc (rumoured £4m)

Aug 2009  Fraser Forster  Norwich City  Loan

Aug 2009  Xisco  Racing Santander  Loan

Nov 2009  Fraser Forster  Norwich City  Loan extended

Dec 2009  Zurab Khizanishvili  Blackburn Rovers  Loan ended

Dec 2009  Marlon Harewood  Aston Villa  Loan ended

Jan 2010  Geremi  Ankaragucu  tbc (rumoured £1.25m)

Feb 2010  Kazenga LuaLua  Brighton & Hove Albion  Loan

Feb 2010  Patrick Van Aanholt  Chelsea  Loan ended

May 2010  Fabrice Pancrate  n/a  Released

May 2010  Nicky Butt  n/a  Released

May 2010  Fitz Hall  QPR  Loan ended

May 2010  Wesley Ngo Baheng  n/a  Released

May 2010  Frank Wiafe Danquah  n/a  Released

May 2010  Jonny Godsmark  n/a  Released

May 2010  Danny Williams  n/a  Released

May 2010  Darren Lough  n/a  Released

May 2010  James Taylor  n/a  Released

May 2010  Darren Lough  n/a  Released

May 2010  Callum Morris  n/a  Released

Jul 2010  Max Johnson  n/a  Released

Aug 2010  Fraser Forster  Celtic  Loan

Will be intersting to see what happens with Bafra, whether Nolan gets dropped or there is some other reorganisation of the side. After all he (Bafra) must have had assurances to have been so single minded about joining us. IMO CH's first big descision of this season.

Will be intersting to see what happens with Bafra, whether Nolan gets dropped or there is some other reorganisation of the side. After all he (Bafra) must have had assurances to have been so single minded about joining us. IMO CH's first big descision of this season.

I think he'll start as sub, but yes, sooner or later Hughton is going to have to take the plunge. Of course, an injury or suspension (Barton has picked up three yellows in three games so far) may give him the chance to start Ben Arfa without upsetting anyone.

It's tricky, because although at the moment no-one deserves to be dropped, you can't afford to wait until something actually goes wrong before you make a change. A manager has to take the initiative.

So many times, Hughton's decisions have turned out to be right, even when it didn't look that way at the time, so let's have faith. With Ben Arfa, he's staking a lot on his ability to get the player to accept his authority on and off the pitch, where other managers have failed. Having been a real doubter when the transfer was first mooted, I'm now optimistic it'll work out.

I think Nolan will start, IF we are a couple up I think bafra will be unleashed.

Once we're safe he can have his talks about a new deal....................................

I think he will do quite well from now till january, enough to get a new contract for us and him .

i know i love the stability he has given us, so keep it up Chris  :clap:

edit: (would be nice with more good results also!)

Absolutely no reason not to give him a new contract then. I'd consider sticking with him even if we go down tbh, at least he's a likeable chap and has done well in the transfer market and I can't see Mike and Derek getting anyone better in.

Absolutely no reason not to give him a new contract then. I'd consider sticking with him even if we go down tbh, at least he's a likeable chap and has done well in the transfer market and I can't see Mike and Derek getting anyone better in.

Not with the squad we have now, no.

Not with the squad we have now, no.

I probably should have added that I really don't think we'll go down.

Can you see anyone wanting to come in should we go down? As long as Mike is still here, I can't, which why I would stick with Hughton.