The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Referees tend to favour the home team. I don't think there's any more to be read into it.

It's more to do with the crowd than the manager. If a player goes down and there's a huge howl from the stands, that's instant pressure.

It may have already been covered but does anyone else think Hughton's general niceness is what has lead to use getting some shoddy refereeing decisions over the past few weeks? Think about it, when we played Everton we were on the wrong end of some hilariously bad officiating when a week earlier Moyes had a huge bust up with a referee. Against City I got the feeling Atkinson was always looking for the decision which made his life easier rather than the correct one and nine times out of ten that was to give City the benefit of the doubt. Lets face it, Mancini is much more likely to take his concerns to the media than Hughton, who was still very magnanimous after the match despite having a word or two.

I'm glad the club have complained about refereeing, maybe that'll make them think twice about blowing up in the opposition's favour.

Probably not, but I do think he should have been a lot more angry & aggresively critical of the performance of the officials at the weekend.

It may have already been covered but does anyone else think Hughton's general niceness is what has lead to use getting some shoddy refereeing decisions over the past few weeks? Think about it, when we played Everton we were on the wrong end of some hilariously bad officiating when a week earlier Moyes had a huge bust up with a referee. Against City I got the feeling Atkinson was always looking for the decision which made his life easier rather than the correct one and nine times out of ten that was to give City the benefit of the doubt. Lets face it, Mancini is much more likely to take his concerns to the media than Hughton, who was still very magnanimous after the match despite having a word or two.

I'm glad the club have complained about refereeing, maybe that'll make them think twice about blowing up in the opposition's favour.

Probably not, but I do think he should have been a lot more angry & aggresively critical of the performance of the officials at the weekend.

The guy was clearly seething and the club has gone down the road of formally tackling the problem which should have a much greater chance of forcing a response. He did everything right in my book, can't stand seeing managers loosing it in the heat of the moment.

Similar to how Ben Arfa had his heart set here and was never going to go anywhere else, Bellamy was going to Cardiff from day 1.

I think it was also down to a policy from Man City of not letting their good players go to Premier League rivals. The same reason Shay Given didn't manage a move.

I would think that, if City had been open to it, Bellamy would have played another 1-3 seasons for a Prem team then moved to Cardiff for the last couple of years of his career later.

I'd have thought the opposite from City. Loan Bellamy to a mid-table/lower Premier League team and it'd increase the chances of them nicking points off City's rivals. I reckon Cardiff was his only destination regardless of Premier League interest.

The guy was clearly seething and the club has gone down the road of formally tackling the problem which should have a much greater chance of forcing a response. He did everything right in my book, can't stand seeing managers loosing it in the heat of the moment.

I think given his normally reserved manner losing his cool may have had more of an effect on this one off occasion.

I think given his normally reserved manner losing his cool may have had more of an effect on this one off occasion.

or to take the punishment and coolly say "martin atkinson was a sick joke today and i instructed my players not to shake hands with de jong after the game, as in my opinion he deliberatly set out to injure hatem ben arfa"

I think that publically criticising a ref sometimes backfires.

The next few refs we get will not want to be seen to have been swayed by a public slagging. They sometimes overcompenste and it works against you. I can see the reasoning behind it though. 

The next few refs we get will not want to be seen to have been swayed by a public slagging. They sometimes overcompenste and it works against you. I can see the reasoning behind it though. 

Not being critical doesn't seem to be getting us anywhere. :(

Not being critical doesn't seem to be getting us anywhere. :(

being critical hasn't done Alex Ferguson any harm.

I posted this in the post-match thread. I like the way Hughton goes about his work but I think he needs to let referees know he is no pushover.

"Like you, I was proud of our manager and team on the day but at the same time really sick and depressed about the way it panned out.

One thing I'd like to see from Hughton is a little bit less "fair play nice guy" and a touch more of the Ferguson pugnacity, where any referee or opposition thug would know they'd be getting both barrels from him as they leave the pitch.

That said CH was about as angry as we've ever seen him"

..if you don't consider touchline bans and having to pay plenty of fines harmful.. then yeah.

how many titles has he won ? How many times are refs accused of "bias" ?

Guest MrBrown

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/10/10/bully-boys-won-t-put-ben-arfa-off-79310-27439088/2/

However, boss Chris Hughton’s decision to make an eight-hour round trip by car on Wednesday to see Ben Arfa has come in for special praise.

“It has been difficult for Hatem. Imagine anyone in that situation – settling into a new country where he doesn’t know the language and then he has an emergency operation within a few weeks of moving,” Stainrod said.

“It’s been hard, but Newcastle United have been so keen to look after him – I can’t praise them enough.

“The fact that Chris Hughton worked a full day at Newcastle but then still went to see him in Manchester says a lot. It is the mark of the man and the club as well.”

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/10/10/bully-boys-won-t-put-ben-arfa-off-79310-27439088/2/

However, boss Chris Hughtons decision to make an eight-hour round trip by car on Wednesday to see Ben Arfa has come in for special praise.

It has been difficult for Hatem. Imagine anyone in that situation settling into a new country where he doesnt know the language and then he has an emergency operation within a few weeks of moving, Stainrod said.

Its been hard, but Newcastle United have been so keen to look after him I cant praise them enough.

The fact that Chris Hughton worked a full day at Newcastle but then still went to see him in Manchester says a lot. It is the mark of the man and the club as well.

8-hour round trip? It takes me 2 hours, 10 minutes to get down to Manchester.

However, boss Chris Hughtons decision to make an eight-hour round trip by car on Wednesday to see Ben Arfa has come in for special praise.

It has been difficult for Hatem. Imagine anyone in that situation settling into a new country where he doesnt know the language and then he has an emergency operation within a few weeks of moving, Stainrod said.

Its been hard, but Newcastle United have been so keen to look after him I cant praise them enough.

The fact that Chris Hughton worked a full day at Newcastle but then still went to see him in Manchester says a lot. It is the mark of the man and the club as well.

Only if you go when there's little traffic and drive like an idiot.

However, boss Chris Hughton’s decision to make an eight-hour round trip by car on Wednesday to see Ben Arfa has come in for special praise.

“It has been difficult for Hatem. Imagine anyone in that situation – settling into a new country where he doesn’t know the language and then he has an emergency operation within a few weeks of moving,” Stainrod said.

“It’s been hard, but Newcastle United have been so keen to look after him – I can’t praise them enough.

“The fact that Chris Hughton worked a full day at Newcastle but then still went to see him in Manchester says a lot. It is the mark of the man and the club as well.”

Only if you go when there's little traffic and drive like an idiot.

Do you drive a Micra? The only delays occur in North Yorkshire. The rest of the journey is straighforward, even at fairly busy times.

Well ... I live in Manchester (drive like a bell end when I choose) and it still takes longer than 2h 10min ... It certainly doesn't take 4 hours though (excepting stops to consider the whims of fate when crossing Saddleworth on misty nights). I suspect a stop off at Scotch Corner to buy some nibbles and a driving rug!