The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

True. It's going to become a real issue for him/ us too.

Making Nolan captain was Hughtons first real dropped bollock.

Out of interest who would you have made captain? At the time it seemed the general consensus was he was the only realistic choice. It was a bit of a "would you rather lose your left foot or right foot" choice but their wasn't an abundance of obvious candidates.

Guest MrBrown

Nice to see people getting behind the team/manager like.

They will once we have a good result. Then once we have a bad one, they'll slate him again. Actually, I think that might happen after good results too. Never mind.

Guest Roger Kint

Out of interest who would you have made captain? At the time it seemed the general consensus was he was the only realistic choice. It was a bit of a "would you rather lose your left foot or right foot" choice but their wasn't an abundance of obvious candidates.

As i hate GK captains i would have said Colo or Barton tbh although theres not a great deal of options for him in all fairness.

I am not being funny but against stoke we lost because of two mistakes, Blackpool was a blip and we just thought we could walk it.

I can't really place blame at Hughton's door and I think he offers this club a huge added value that isn't taken into consideration.

As for Ranger for Nolan; Nile makes too many silly passes and in the prem these can cost you a game, his concentration isn't great over 90 mins. Nolan is very professional, he doesn't make too many mistakes and he is constant... I also would be going with the seniors to keep us up although at home I think he could be a little more adventurous...

Keep it up Chris!!

As i hate GK captains i would have said Colo or Barton tbh although theres not a great deal of options for him in all fairness.

I'm not sure how good Colo's english is but Barton is a good shout.

Guest Roger Kint

Well obviously we all share those concerns over Barton but Keane was a proven lunatic too tbh. Maybe Barton would mature with the role, stranger things have happened, i saw Nolan substituted not long ago.....

I am not being funny but against stoke we lost because of two mistakes, Blackpool was a blip and we just thought we could walk it.

I can't really place blame at Hughton's door and I think he offers this club a huge added value that isn't taken into consideration.

As for Ranger for Nolan; Nile makes too many silly passes and in the prem these can cost you a game, his concentration isn't great over 90 mins. Nolan is very professional, he doesn't make too many mistakes and he is constant... I also would be going with the seniors to keep us up although at home I think he could be a little more adventurous...

Keep it up Chris!!

You got them the wrong way round. The blip was selecting Nolan for the Stoke game, the two mistakes were Smith & Nolan in the Blackpool game.

Any repeat of these mistakes and blips for the forseeable future will ensure the same sort of results IMO.

God forbid if either of these mistakes or blips are still there for the Sunderland game in two weeks.

The first time substitution of Nolan against Man City may be a sign that Hughton is at last coming to his senses over the matter.

There isn't and shouldn't be any pressure on Hughton. He's doing the right things, the team is playing well and the players are determined. It's been years since we had that so lets not f*** it up eh

The players can be as determined as they like, but if they can't win home games they are not good enough - determination is great but without the necessary skills it is useless.

Cream always rises to the top....

There isn't and shouldn't be any pressure on Hughton. He's doing the right things, the team is playing well and the players are determined. It's been years since we had that so lets not f*** it up eh

The players can be as determined as they like, but if they can't win home games they are not good enough - determination is great but without the necessary skills it is useless.

Yeah, but that would be a criticism of the players... Hughton can only work the players he has.

Yeah, but that would be a criticism of the players... Hughton can only work the players he has.

There's no denying his tactics were a bit too conservative in the last couple home games, although iirc we ended up the Blackpool game with 5 strikers..

I have confidence that Hughton will sort the 'home tactic' but even if we lose the next 2-3-4-whatever games, the positives of his tenure far outweigh the negatives. Hughton is the right man for our club.

And it seems he is relatively good at getting better ones.

Serious question, who do we think we could get in who'd be an improvement at the moment? Also, maybe more importantly, who do we think we WOULD get in bearing in mind Llambias and Ashley manage us? All things considered, I think I'm inclined to stick...

Think there's something to be said for junkhead's attitude. Not saying this is definitely the case, only that it's possible, but it might even be best that we stick with Hughton if we get relegated - if he can/we let him retain his authority, keep running the club the way he wants to etc. with a view to ultimately being better off, as I think he could get us promoted again if we did go down yet again, while still improving things behind the scenes even though things are bad on the pitch. Again, the reason I say this is that I'm scared of who else might come in after him bearing in mind who'd get to decide - things could end up being a lot worse.

On a semi-related note, I think too many young, potentially decent managers are booted so soon as a relegation takes place. Stupid the way someone can unexpectedly get a club promoted twice in two seasons and then as soon as they go down from the Premiership they become shit. It's not as though the club's often end up returning thanks to such a decision, after all...

Making Nolan captain wasn't the issue. He made Butt captain, but minimised his playing time and as a result he started only a small percentage of games. It's the refusal to drop Nolan despite his form being shite and how he's rarely substituted despite being the prime example of what a '60 minute player' is.

I bet I'm not the only one who wishes we won 4-0 against Villa with Nolan fluffing his two goal chances - maybe then he'd be out of the team by now and we'd be a few points stronger as a result.

And it seems he is relatively good at getting better ones.

Serious question, who do we think we could get in who'd be an improvement at the moment? Also, maybe more importantly, who do we think we WOULD get in bearing in mind Llambias and Ashley manage us? All things considered, I think I'm inclined to stick...

Think there's something to be said for junkhead's attitude. Not saying this is definitely the case, only that it's possible, but it might even be best that we stick with Hughton if we get relegated - if he can/we let him retain his authority, keep running the club the way he wants to etc. with a view to ultimately being better off, as I think he could get us promoted again if we did go down yet again, while still improving things behind the scenes even though things are bad on the pitch. Again, the reason I say this is that I'm scared of who else might come in after him bearing in mind who'd get to decide - things could end up being a lot worse.

On a semi-related note, I think too many young, potentially decent managers are booted so soon as a relegation takes place. Stupid the way someone can unexpectedly get a club promoted twice in two seasons and then as soon as they go down from the Premiership they become s***. It's not as though the club's often end up returning thanks to such a decision, after all...

Not on the wind up but how do you know things are improving behind the scenes? Any of our Premier League teams before we got relegated would have walked the Championship last year and it would have looked like they too had great team spirit and everything was great behind the scenes.

Is it not just the case that we have a lot of very average players who know they'll never be any where better than Newcastle, indeed they probably count their lucky stars that they are playing for the club. Also a sign of how far our standards have dropped that their is not discontent in the camp after two miserable home defeats.

It's true, like. Good team spirit is easy to achieve when you're battering Plymouth every other week. This is the litmus test; losing games in which certain players are far more to blame than others. That's before you even consider what the manager has to input.