The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The midfield he selected today would be torn to pieces against a decent side. 

What sort of point is that. Why not say that he saw what we were up against and selected the XI he thought would combat them best?

mcnaly is writing his usual shit

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-boss-Chris-Hughton-insists-he-can-cope-with-the-pressure-despite-Martin-O-Neill-s-name-is-being-mentioned-as-his-possible-replacement-article611909.html

obviously written before the game tonight and with the assumption we'd be beat, mentions o'neill and hoddle as potential replacements (as if oneill would come)

Absolutely embarrassing. It doesn't even make sense, going on about home form in the Premier League then saying he could be sacked if we lose the next two games - one of which is in the Coca-Cola Cup.

Just fuck off you set of scummy vultures.

Deserve a lot of credit today especially for sticking with 2 upfront and inspiring the players during half time. But I still have concerns on his ability to use subs effectively. It was telling that in the last few minutes all he did was ask Carrol to help the defense to preserve the lead. This time it worked but would have preferred him to take out one striker and beef up the midfield with Guthrie or just sub in Lovenkrads for Ameobi just to waste time or at the very least ask the players to take the ball into the corner (we continued to attack till the very last moment which could have easily backfired)

In other words he is a very non interventionist (or minimal interventionist) sort of manager who prefers players to work things out instead of trying to actively influence the game whilst it is going on. I agree that there is no way anyone can say what would have happened had he made the subs, but without the ability to use sub effectively, that is one less weapon in his armory as a manager. So this is one area he has got to improve but Chris is still good enough for us, better than some of the names bandied around by the press and hopefully will keep us up  O0

Deserve a lot of credit today especially for sticking with 2 upfront and inspiring the players during half time. But I still have concerns on his ability to use subs effectively. It was telling that in the last few minutes all he did was ask Carrol to help the defense to preserve the lead. This time it worked but would have preferred him to take out one striker and beef up the midfield with Guthrie or just sub in Lovenkrads for Ameobi just to waste time or at the very least ask the players to take the ball into the corner (we continued to attack till the very last moment which could have easily backfired)

In other words he is a very non interventionist (or minimal interventionist) sort of manager who prefers players to work things out instead of trying to actively influence the game whilst it is going on. I agree that there is no way anyone can say what would have happened had he made the subs, but without the ability to use sub effectively, that is one less weapon in his armory as a manager. So this is one area he has got to improve but Chris is still good enough for us, better than some of the names bandied around by the press and hopefully will keep us up  O0

All 11 players were contributing at the end of the game, changing the team around could have caused more problems than it solved as it often takes players time to get up to pace.  I thought that he was spot on leaving the starting 11 alone for the full game.

All 11 players were contributing at the end of the game, changing the team around could have caused more problems than it solved as it often takes players time to get up to pace.  I thought that he was spot on leaving the starting 11 alone for the full game.

Agreed. It's not as if at any point in the second half they looked like they were running into trouble. On the other hand, our lead wasn't so unassailable that it would have been a good time to give someone a run-out.

You're possibly right Mick, all I'm saying is that I have yet to see him (this season at least) influencing a game through substitutions and I think that is a weakness that he has to improve on.

I like Hughton but even if I dont like him.  There is no way Ashley going to fire him. He is the cheapest option he have out there. Why would he pay someone 2 mil on wage and then get pressured in Jan to spend loads on players ? All this papers rumers are they have to write something about Newcastle and poor Chris is in the middle of all.

How on earth are people like Brian McNally earning a living as journalists ? He writes just like the person he is - fat and lazy.

Chris Hughton is doing a far better job at football management than above mentioned journos are as sports correspondents.

I have a feeling that a person of influence at the club reads this forum and is influenced by the majority opinion on things here. Smith no longer playing, Perch dropped, Hughton wearing a suit, starting with two up front yesterday etc.

Gotta give Hughton credit for being so willing to change things around. Such a refreshing change from Kinnear, Souness and Roeder.

Guest Ridzuan

I have a feeling that a person of influence at the club reads this forum and is influenced by the majority opinion on things here. Smith no longer playing, Perch dropped, Hughton wearing a suit, starting with two up front yesterday etc.

Gotta give Hughton credit for being so willing to change things around. Such a refreshing change from Kinnear, Souness and Roeder.

I wouldnt be surprised if it was Hughton himself.