The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I get the feeling the players committee of Harper, Smudger, Nolan & Butt are running the gaff, hence the reason Ranger gets away with coming in late all the time. I don't believe the players have huge respect for him but I think they're behind them like the Mackems were behind Sbragia last season - he gives them an easy time of it so they're happy.

That's not to say Hughton hasn't done an admirable job. I mean tactially he's on another planet at times but he's not one to persist if something isn't working. He'll quiet happily make a change. He also seems to get on with things with the minimum of fuss which is nice after JFK came in, swore like a docker and then nearly died. Attention seeking c***.

I'm one for dictatorship in the dressing room, not democracy. If we go up I can't see our current set up lasting very long so I want to see an out and out manager brought in. Chances of that happening are slim if Ashley us still here though.

:mackems:

when we've done poorly this season people have said it's because of the manager - when we've done well then it's always because of the players or the shit opposition.

he can't win.

saying that - would prefer a proven manager next season.

It's barely even worth discussing. Ideally he'd be replaced but it won't happen. He's not a very good manager but he seems to keep the players ticking along from a motivation/team spirit perspective. And if we replaced a few notable cloggers, that same spirit would probably keep us up alone, if unspectacularly so. But then it comes to the money issue. If Hughton can wheel and deal in the transfer market come summer, then that will have been his biggest success - cos the players play in spite of him here. He's similar to Roeder on so many counts.

To be fair, at least he isn't constantly trying to sound intelligent (and as a result looking stupid) like Roeder did. Doesn't look like a peeping tom either.

Aye fair point. Roeder was supposedly a nice guy but was anything but (imo). Hughton's actually a nice guy. :laugh:

To be fair, at least he isn't constantly trying to sound intelligent (and as a result looking stupid) like Roeder did. Doesn't look like a peeping tom either.

Aye fair point. Roeder was supposedly a nice guy but was anything but (imo). Hughton's actually a nice guy. :laugh:

Roeder was fantastic entertainment if nowt else. Can anyone else remember the press conference after the West Ham match where they'd took the piss out of his tumour and he conducted almost all of it in the third person? :lol:

"Glenn Roeder stands on his own two feet, does Glenn Roeder"

He was a knob. In a tiny minority, probably, but i actually preferred Souness as a bloke. From a footballing perspective they were probably on par, but Graeme Souness has a heck of a lot more to show than Roeder does.

That West Ham thing was absolutely disgraceful mind. Same game that Harewood clattered into Given i believe.

He was a knob. In a tiny minority, probably, but i actually preferred Souness as a bloke. From a footballing perspective they were probably on par, but Graeme Souness has a heck of a lot more to show than Roeder does.

That West Ham thing was absolutely disgraceful mind. Same game that Harewood clattered into Given i believe.

Apparently Souness had all the time in the world for the fans. A lovely bloke away from football.

Unfortunately he was a cunt in the dressing room and a spastic of Ronaldo proportions on the touchline.

Apparently Souness had all the time in the world for the fans. A lovely bloke away from football.

Unfortunately he was a cunt in the dressing room and a spastic of Ronaldo proportions on the touchline.

Yeah, i can believe it. No doubting he was absolute horseshite for us - but from a ridiculously 'mannish' perspective (urgh), he's the type of bloke i'd like to sit and have a pint with and talk about football for a couple of hours.

You could argue that Souness was a worse man-manager than Roeder was. But consider the characters he had to deal with. There were a lot of twats in our squad (yes, i know, Bobby proved that a good manager can handle big egos), and Souness - undoubtedly - couldn't get on with it. But the dressing room was arguably just as bad when Roeder was here, no team spirit at all, and the only problem child he had was Charles N'Zogbia, which was all the manager's doing in the first place.

Souness was clueless. But atleast he wasn't insipid and clueless like Roeder. A manager needs an actual personality. Souness was arrogant, Roeder was just deluded.

I'm gonna get ripped to shit for this.

Disclaimer: I know Souness was absolute toss for us.

I actually quite like the pint analogy i've conjured there.

Hughton, i'd definitely buy him a pint. But i'd only say a couple of words to him, then go downstairs before being bored to death.

Souness, i'd let him buy the pint but i'd probably sit and natter to him for a good hour or so about footy. It'd be an interesting conversation.

Roeder, well, Glenn Roeder stands on his own two feet. Glenn Roeder will buy the pint. He'd probably offer me, the spirited youngster, the pint - tease me with it - then give it to some old clogger that can no longer down it.

Kinnear, i'd probably get him a glass of water and ask him why he's in the pub, only to be cursed at.

I actually quite like the pint analogy i've conjured there.

Hughton, i'd definitely buy him a pint. But i'd only say a couple of words to him, then go downstairs before being bored to death.

Souness, i'd let him buy the pint but i'd probably sit and natter to him for a good hour or so about footy. It'd be an interesting conversation.

Roeder, well, Glenn Roeder stands on his own two feet. Glenn Roeder will buy the pint. He'd probably offer me, the spirited youngster, the pint - tease me with it - then give it to some old clogger that can no longer down it.

Kinnear, i'd probably get him a glass of water and ask him why he's in the pub, only to be cursed at.

Freak.

O0

The problem is that if get promotion then the Manager knows the players - but if we bring in someone else its all change, new staff, new players ..and no evidence that it will make any real difference

personally I'd give Hughton some cash and some time

No proven decent manager will come unless there is A LOT of cash - if we dump Hughton we'll be looking at the usual dreadful list of PL cast-offs