The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Boy done good but if we're looking to estabilish ourselves and make inroads in the Prem (assuming we get there) then the manager is the key to absoluely everything, at a push Hughton might keep us up but i cant see him taking us to the next level, just doesnt have the experience and quite frankly I cant help but think that the results we're getting are largely due to the gap in quality between our players and the rest of the championship rather than any tactical nous on Hughtons behalf, he hasnt really changed much in the way we play football. That gap wont be telling at all should we go up so the way we play football will determine how we do and as Hughton who in my opinion hasnt changed much footballing style wise then i cant see how we'd succeed with him should we go up.

Shearer is an absolute no go - no more sentimentality please.

Hughes

Sven

Personally Im firmly in the camp that thinks that most British managers are lagging when it comes to managing a team, theres rarely any art or craft in there style of play, although a few have recently come through who seem to apply this type of football i think id honeslty like to see a foreign manager.

Id even consider Mclaren.

On the whole, 'B' list Dutch and German managers seem to be streets ahead in tactics, planning and organisation compared to their British counterparts.

Strange to think that we've never appointed a manager from abroad.

???

Boy done good but if we're looking to estabilish ourselves and make inroads in the Prem (assuming we get there) then the manager is the key to absoluely everything, at a push Hughton might keep us up but i cant see him taking us to the next level, just doesnt have the experience and quite frankly I cant help but think that the results we're getting are largely due to the gap in quality between our players and the rest of the championship rather than any tactical nous on Hughtons behalf, he hasnt really changed much in the way we play football. That gap wont be telling at all should we go up so the way we play football will determine how we do and as Hughton who in my opinion hasnt changed much footballing style wise then i cant see how we'd succeed with him should we go up.

Hughes

Sven

Personally Im firmly in the camp that thinks that most British managers are lagging when it comes to managing a team, theres rarely any art or craft in there style of play, although a few have recently come through who seem to apply this type of football i think id honeslty like to see a foreign manager.

On the whole, 'B' list Dutch and German managers seem to be streets ahead in tactics, planning and organisation compared to their British counterparts.

???

What?

Hughes

Sven

???

What?

Well it depends on what exactly you mean when you state 'from abroad' but we've had Argentinian and Dutch managers and one that before coming here had previously worked in Spain, Portugal and Holland.

Hughes

Sven

Aye, exactly, think Mclaren might of learnt a bit with Twente, seems to of taken them to the next level which is a very good achievement, think he could turn our to become a very good manager. Strange to think that we've never appointed a manager from abroad. Would love this to be the case becasue there are some excellent manager out there who im sure would love to manage at a premier league club with 50k turning up every week, shame it wont happen at all.

McLaren's doing very well with Twente, in fact they're top of the league atm. i'd take him over Hughton too.

just goes to show how provincial our club have been in terms of never recruiting directly from abroad, ie a manager at an overseas club. the only foreigners we'd have were managing in the UK and actually not very good. I suppose robson is the closest, though he had left PSV for the FA by the time we approached him.

Hughton is going to be manager next season regardless of what we think, no club in the world would sack someone who has just won promotion. I can't see Hughton being successful with the brand of football he is playing at the moment if we do go up though. The problem will be identifying a manager who is significantly better. None of the names which were mentioned before he got the job inspired me much.

I doubt Hughton thinks he'll be in charge next season if we go up. If he is then prepare fully for a relegation of mackem proportions. We'll sink like shit.

Not sure why people don't seem to get that. He is a good coach who gets on with the nuts and bolts and that is all.

It's easy to overlook what Hughton has got right, and his man management has been pretty good, I like the way he lets the players take the glory and just gets on with the job. I'm not convinced Shearer got that part of it right in his short time in charge. At the end of the day though I am usually impressed by manager's whose sides football shows their influence. Watching Newcastle it would be difficult to be impressed by the turgid stuff we see week in and week out.

Hughes

Sven

???

What?

Well it depends on what exactly you mean when you state 'from abroad' but we've had a Dutch manager and one that before coming here had previously worked in Spain, Portugal and Holland.

We've never appointed amanager from outside these shores, thats what i meant to say.

Hughes

Sven

Aye, exactly, think Mclaren might of learnt a bit with Twente, seems to of taken them to the next level which is a very good achievement, think he could turn our to become a very good manager. Strange to think that we've never appointed a manager from abroad. Would love this to be the case becasue there are some excellent manager out there who im sure would love to manage at a premier league club with 50k turning up every week, shame it wont happen at all.

McLaren's doing very well with Twente, in fact they're top of the league atm. i'd take him over Hughton too.

just goes to show how provincial our club have been in terms of never recruiting directly from abroad, ie a manager at an overseas club. the only foreigners we'd have were managing in the UK and actually not very good. I suppose robson is the closest, though he had left PSV for the FA by the time we approached him.

Precisely, really irks me how we didnt have the foresight like Liverpool to look outside these shores. There are literally only 3 british manager i'd have at this club, O'Neil, Mclaren and Hughes, the rest are miles behind there foreign counterparts, even putting Hughes with the other 2 is stretching it a bit.

Unfortunately this is all a pipe dream cant see us going foriegn, my guess would be Ron Atkinson shoudl Hughton leave.

Hughes

Sven

Precisely, really irks me how we didnt have the foresight like Liverpool to look outside these shores. There are literally only 3 british manager i'd have at this club, O'Neil, Mclaren and Hughes, the rest are miles behind there foreign counterparts, even putting Hughes with the other 2 is stretching it a bit.

Unfortunately this is all a pipe dream cant see us going foriegn, my guess would be Ron Atkinson shoudl Hughton leave.

Ferguson?

How serious was that Hitzfeld link back in the time?

Some mentalists off here made a dossier to entice him though, amazing it never happened truth be told.

I remember reading it on the papers and thought it would be canny for you lot. You were also linked to MON iirc? And ended up with Roeder...

(Sorry, didn't want to rub salt in your managerial wounds)

I like how Arry "bare bones" Redknapp sets up his teams to play.

Ok, actually Im getting boned here so yeh, maybe there are a few more brits id like but  either way theres a lot more foreigners who id give a whirl.

Fact.

Not everyone is a Jose M or Wegner man!!! The likes of Gross, Santini, Dr Venglos, Zajec, Perrin were all f***ing s****.  Not that long ago Van Basten, Klinsmann, Le Guen were all the rage.

You have to get the right man not the bloke with the right passport & accent :pow:

Some mentalists off here made a dossier to entice him though, amazing it never happened truth be told.

I remember reading it on the papers and thought it would be canny for you lot. You were also linked to MON iirc? And ended up with Roeder...

A deranged local journalist said that MON had called him and and said he wanted the job was the story of the MON link, the journalist in question has a long track record of that sort of thing.

Martin O'Neil I am not sure what the connection is told Dennis Waterman (Minder/father of the bird who has lost a load weight) that he was offered the job. I know people who know Dennis. I know its f***ing bizarre but that is what I was told.

A deranged local journalist said that MON had called him and and said he wanted the job was the story of the MON link, the journalist in question has a long track record of that sort of thing.

Funny how it got reported on the Spanish press, but they have an habit of just picking up whatever headline and run it for their "international football" pages without putting any effort on checking it.

Houghton will be our Manager next season and that the only thing he deserve after this year accomplishment. Under his guidance we are manage to finish mid table next season. I can not believe how many of you lot don;t have any sort of loyalty to some one who done something good for your club.

Houghton will be our Manager next season and that the only thing he deserve after this year accomplishment. Under his guidance we are manage to finish mid table next season. I can not believe how many of you lot don;t have any sort of loyalty to some one who done something good for your club.

People never learn do they.

What are you babbling about. The PL isn't some place where people dote on stuff like loyalty. He simply isn't good enough at that level and as such will have to be replaced for the good of the club by a better manager if one can be found.