The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gets WAY too much stick on here but I would prefer someone else if we get promoted.

All bases covered.  :-*

He has his faults which I think won't match up to the Premiership but he is doing well now and every match/Newcastle thread seems to slag him off, his tactics, substitions, starting elevens etc every game. It's mental. This league is shit but I don't think we stand out that much from everyone but he has still managed to get us top.

Realistically, I think that Hughton will be the manager next season. And I don't think that will be a bad thing. NUFC really needs stability. We've done nothing but burn through managers since SBR was sacked. Has anyone served a full season since Robson? That lack of stability-- not the lack of success--- has been at the root of a lot of our problems. I think it's alienated veterans (Given) undermined the development of younger players (N'Zogbia, Milner), made it difficult for foreigners to settle (Enrique),  and generally undermined the team's efforts.

So I'd like to see Hughton stay on for a couple of seasons. Even if it means that we're a middling club for a time. And I think Hughton will do reasonably well. I did not expect us to be leading the Championship and I think Hughton's accomplishment is being underestimated and underappreciated.

If we are promoted and we struggle-- if we are in a relegation struggle come next January. Then, yes, he should be replaced. No question. But I do not think that will the case. This time next year, I'd expect the club to be in the middle of the table-- by no means "safe", but not really in danger. Keeping the same management in place for back-to-back seasons will be a major step forward.

Having said that, I hope the club will be purchased by new owners,who have big dreams and, more importantly, a plan, and thata they''ll bring in their own man--someone they are prepared to to stick with for the long term.  If the club gets new ownership I'd hope they'd be wise enough to hire someone they have faith in right from the start rather than sticking with someone that they don't fully support à la Ashley/Allardyce. We need to get out of crisis mode.

Gets WAY too much stick on here but I would prefer someone else if we get promoted.

All bases covered.  :-*

He has his faults which I think won't match up to the Premiership but he is doing well now and every match/Newcastle thread seems to slag him off, his tactics, substitions, starting elevens etc every game. It's mental. This league is shit but I don't think we stand out that much from everyone but he has still managed to get us top.

Yeah but Smith and Butt are picking the side and tactics are being relayed over the phone from Gazza at (*insert name of pub).

Realistically, I think that Hughton will be the manager next season. And I don't think that will be a bad thing. NUFC really needs stability. We've done nothing but burn through managers since SBR was sacked. Has anyone served a full season since Robson? That lack of stability-- not the lack of success--- has been at the root of a lot of our problems. I think it's alienated veterans (Given) undermined the development of younger players (N'Zogbia, Milner), made it difficult for foreigners to settle (Enrique),  and generally undermined the team's efforts.

So I'd like to see Hughton stay on for a couple of seasons. Even if it means that we're a middling club for a time. And I think Hughton will do reasonably well. I did not expect us to be leading the Championship and I think Hughton's accomplishment is being underestimated and underappreciated.

If we are promoted and we struggle-- if we are in a relegation struggle come next January. Then, yes, he should be replaced. No question. But I do not think that will the case. This time next year, I'd expect the club to be in the middle of the table-- by no means "safe", but not really in danger. Keeping the same management in place for back-to-back seasons will be a major step forward.

Having said that, I hope the club will be purchased by new owners,who have big dreams and, more importantly, a plan, and thata they''ll bring in their own man--someone they are prepared to to stick with for the long term.  If the club gets new ownership I'd hope they'd be wise enough to hire someone they have faith in right from the start rather than sticking with someone that they don't fully support à la Ashley/Allardyce. We need to get out of crisis mode.

If Hughton stays in charge we'll be relegated and no mistake. The man is a danger to football.

What did you see from Shearer that suggested he'd do any better?

Not much tbf. Just a gut instinct. Also it might be difficult initially first season back getting a top manager who will agree not to spend much.

I'd get Hughes in.

Hughton deserves credit for us being where we are mind, very few predicted pre season we'd actually be top / on course to win the leage.

I'd be relatively pleased with Hughes. I'd like to see Hughton remain on the staff, but he's proven over and over he's not a Prem quality manager.

I'd get Hughes in.

Hughton deserves credit for us being where we are mind, very few predicted pre season we'd actually be top / on course to win the leage.

Exactly.

At the start of the season it was the end of the world, we were going to get humped by West Brom and struggle to stay up. Hughton has got us points clear at the top by new year and still gets shit.

I'd get Hughes in.

I'd be relatively pleased with Hughes. I'd like to see Hughton remain on the staff, but he's proven over and over he's not a Prem quality manager.

Hughes did a brilliant job at Blackburn - even got them playing attractive football at the end - and he's got a fucking eye for a bargain too. Nelson and Samba, less than a million for both. McCarthy £3m, RSC £3.5m, Bentley £1.5m, Warnock £1.5m, Bellamy £6m, Dunn £1m, it's an outstanding record really.

He didn't cut it at City but he's still a very good manager and would be a great appointment imo.

I'd get Hughes in.

Exactly.

At the start of the season it was the end of the world, we were going to get humped by West Brom and struggle to stay up. Hughton has got us points clear at the top by new year and still gets shit.

Whereas I lumped a tenner on us to win the league at 6-1 :pow:

Blind optimism, I didn't actually think we'd do this well :lol:

I'd get Hughes in.

Care to expand on that?

I'd get Hughes in.

Hughes did a brilliant job at Blackburn - even got them playing attractive football at the end - and he's got a fucking eye for a bargain too. Nelson and Samba, less than a million for both. McCarthy £3m, RSC £3.5m, Bentley £1.5m, Warnock £1.5m, Bellamy £6m, Dunn £1m, it's an outstanding record really.

He didn't cut it at City but he's still a very good manager and would be a great appointment imo.

Yep, can't believe some wouldn't want him here because he "failed" at City :lol:

I'd get Hughes in.

Care to expand on that?

I don't have too. Just look at when he was our caretaker when we were in the Prem.

Hughton is going to be manager next season regardless of what we think, no club in the world would sack someone who has just won promotion. I can't see Hughton being successful with the brand of football he is playing at the moment if we do go up though. The problem will be identifying a manager who is significantly better. None of the names which were mentioned before he got the job inspired me much.

I actually quite like the pint analogy i've conjured there.

Hughton, i'd definitely buy him a pint. But i'd only say a couple of words to him, then go downstairs before being bored to death.

Souness, i'd let him buy the pint but i'd probably sit and natter to him for a good hour or so about footy. It'd be an interesting conversation.

Roeder, well, Glenn Roeder stands on his own two feet. Glenn Roeder will buy the pint. He'd probably offer me, the spirited youngster, the pint - tease me with it - then give it to some old clogger that can no longer down it.

Kinnear, i'd probably get him a glass of water and ask him why he's in the pub, only to be cursed at.

I'd smash him straight in the bracket with pint pot.

Boy done good but if we're looking to estabilish ourselves and make inroads in the Prem (assuming we get there) then the manager is the key to absoluely everything, at a push Hughton might keep us up but i cant see him taking us to the next level, just doesnt have the experience and quite frankly I cant help but think that the results we're getting are largely due to the gap in quality between our players and the rest of the championship rather than any tactical nous on Hughtons behalf, he hasnt really changed much in the way we play football. That gap wont be telling at all should we go up so the way we play football will determine how we do and as Hughton who in my opinion hasnt changed much footballing style wise then i cant see how we'd succeed with him should we go up.

Shearer is an absolute no go - no more sentimentality please.

Hughes

Sven

Personally Im firmly in the camp that thinks that most British managers are lagging when it comes to managing a team, theres rarely any art or craft in there style of play, although a few have recently come through who seem to apply this type of football i think id honeslty like to see a foreign manager.

Id even consider Mclaren.

Hughton is going to be manager next season regardless of what we think, no club in the world would sack someone who has just won promotion. I can't see Hughton being successful with the brand of football he is playing at the moment if we do go up though. The problem will be identifying a manager who is significantly better. None of the names which were mentioned before he got the job inspired me much.

I doubt Hughton thinks he'll be in charge next season if we go up. If he is then prepare fully for a relegation of mackem proportions. We'll sink like shit.

Boy done good but if we're looking to estabilish ourselves and make inroads in the Prem (assuming we get there) then the manager is the key to absoluely everything, at a push Hughton might keep us up but i cant see him taking us to the next level, just doesnt have the experience and quite frankly I cant help but think that the results we're getting are largely due to the gap in quality between our players and the rest of the championship rather than any tactical nous on Hughtons behalf, he hasnt really changed much in the way we play football. That gap wont be telling at all should we go up so the way we play football will determine how we do and as Hughton who in my opinion hasnt changed much footballing style wise then i cant see how we'd succeed with him should we go up.

Hughes

Sven

Personally Im firmly in the camp that thinks that most British managers are lagging when it comes to managing a team, theres rarely any art or craft in there style of play, although a few have recently come through who seem to apply this type of football i think id honeslty like to see a foreign manager.

On the whole, 'B' list Dutch and German managers seem to be streets ahead in tactics, planning and organisation compared to their British counterparts.

I doubt Hughton thinks he'll be in charge next season if we go up. If he is then prepare fully for a relegation of mackem proportions. We'll sink like shit.

Not sure why people don't seem to get that. He is a good coach who gets on with the nuts and bolts and that is all.

Not sure why people don't seem to get that. He is a good coach who gets on with the nuts and bolts and that is all.

Done well to get those fuckwits playing like a team and believing they can win again tbf. Not sure he's done much else but that has got us top of the league.

Hughes

Sven

On the whole, 'B' list Dutch and German managers seem to be streets ahead in tactics, planning and organisation compared to their British counterparts.

Aye, exactly, think Mclaren might of learnt a bit with Twente, seems to of taken them to the next level which is a very good achievement, think he could turn our to become a very good manager. Strange to think that we've never appointed a manager from abroad. Would love this to be the case becasue there are some excellent manager out there who im sure would love to manage at a premier league club with 50k turning up every week, shame it wont happen at all.