The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another thing I'm liking about having Hughton in charge is that the manager's interviews are all about the football. Staying out of the papers and headlines for wrong reasons, and the manager being the football man that he is....well it feels refreshing.

I pointed this out a week ago and was laughed at.

You any good with Photoshop? You're avatar is screaming out for a half naked woman bending over to be added to it.

In theory you're probably right about starting Mcloveinhispants ahead of Best. But as he says in his post match, its all about the impact the players make whatever game minutes they are given. His decision last night was the right one. Perhaps he will start to get it right more often than not now that he has a solid pool of players.

Lovenkrands hasn't scored when he's come off the bench until last night, he's made more of an impact when starting the game.  If Hughton was picking a team based on impact then we wouldn't have had to wait until last night to see a mobile midfield and a balanced team.  Carroll wouldn't have started against Cardiff either if it was down to impact because he was sterile against Leicester.

He was right to pick Carroll last night, I wouldn't have had him in my starting 11 but he was as important as anybody to the way that we played, let's see how he does on Tuesday.  He might actually turn out to be a footballer and Hughton might turn out to be a decent manager, we'll have to see how he does when injuries clear up and give him a free hand at picking his strongest 11.

Hoghton has chnaged the face of Newcastle united

http://www.tynetime.com/2010/02/06/chris-hughton-has-changed-the-face-of-newcastle-united/?

As expected for some, we’re top of the Coca Cola Championship and so far so good for Newcastle United. In less that 12 months after we plummeted into the Coca Cola Championship without a whimper, we’ve seen a fair few ‘big’ players leave the clubs and leave behind them, their big wages. Michael Owen, Obafemi Martins, Mark Viduka, Habib Beye, Damien Duff and many more left, as Newcastle United prepared for their first season in the lower tier of English football, in 16 years. With Mike Ashley ‘trying’ to find a buyer for the beleaguered club, we missed out on summer transfer targets and installing Alan Shearer as manager.

In the midst of all this, Chris Hughton, who had been employed by Newcastle to be Kevin Keegan’s assistant manager, kept the team training and introduced some discipline into what were then, a confused bunch of lads with no one knowing if they’d be at the club for much longer.

We started our season with a reasonable point against a new look West Brom side who alongside us had been relegated from the Premier League. It was Damien Duff who scored the equaliser and soon left for Fulham, where he is doing very well indeed.

Anyway, since then, we’ve had Chris Hughton installed as permanent manager and although many wouldn’t consider him a manager or indeed agree with his tactics, throughout the course of the season he’s created a steady side which are aloft the Coca Cola Championship table.

It’s funny to see how quick some fans turn on Hughton, for instance, after our 0-0 draw away to Leicester City. People questioned his tactics and rightly so but labeling his a “second class manager” and whatnot is pretty outrageous, just look at his record on Tyneside so far.

The team is being run like a proper football team. Chris Hughton has the team in the right frame of mind and has established a hardworking bunch of lads, who are working for each other. Sometimes we mightn’t play the most attractive football, but our 5-1 mauling of Cardiff City yesterday showed that we can indeed score goals and we have a bit of creativity in the side. Wayne Routledge, Jonas and others were inventive yesterday and we need that, at this level.

You’ll know if you read this ‘blog regularly that my opinions don’t change with the wind and have always backed Chris Hughton to succeed with Newcastle United at Championship level at least. So far he’s doing that but it’s not just the performances on this pitch and our form over the course of the season so far that’s strengthened my opinion. He is running the club better off the field, his latest incentive for the strikers to earn the coveted #9 shirt will make Andy Carroll, Leon Best, Peter Lovenkrands and others really give it their all to clinch the shirt. At any other club, the number nine shirt isn’t that important, however at a club like Newcastle United, we’ve had the likes of Malcom MacDonald, Jackie Milburn, Andy Cole, Alan Shearer all wear the shirt, and score a fair few goals too. Hughton is doing a good job and if he secures Premier League promotion then you can’t fault him one bit.

Newcastle United FC is going in the right direction and lets keep it that way

Shearer will take us down again, i'd even prefer Hughton.

He's hardly had a chance though.

No one can say he's "had a run"

Hughton has.

Pleased for a nice guy

But he's not the answer in the PL

(Thats IF we go up this season, remember)

Shearer will take us down again, i'd even prefer Hughton.

He's hardly had a chance though.

No one can say he's "had a run"

Hughton has.

Pleased for a nice guy

But he's not the answer in the PL

(Thats IF we go up this season, remember)

Neither of them are the answer.

credit where its due though, he's never played lovelypants on the left wing

Forest away and Plymouth in the league to name two.

just goes to show how shit my memory is. was it from the start in place of jonas or as sub?

credit where its due though, he's never played lovelypants on the left wing

Forest away and Plymouth in the league to name two.

just goes to show how shit my memory is. was it from the start in place of jonas or as sub?

He started both of those, don't think Jonas started either although he did come on against Forest (don't know if he was recovering for an injury or whatever). Bizarrely Lovenkrands was on the LW in a 4-5-1 at home to Plymouth iirc.

Hughton showed us today that not every supporter would made a good manager. So many on here (me included) would have loved to play a ovensive line-up away from home all season. Glad now he hasn't done it before today and I think he will go back to his negative away tactics.

Hughton showed us today that not every supporter would made a good manager. So many on here (me included) would have loved to play a ovensive line-up away from home all season. Glad now he hasn't done it before today and I think he will go back to his negative away tactics.

the supporters didnt pick the team, hughton did. and there is a lot more to managing than picking 11 players. anyone with a pen and paper can do that. you also need to train, motivate and lead your players, get them to gel as a unit, work out specific tactics for each game, understand the strengths and weaknesses of opponents and so on.

Bad idea for me personally. I think he has to maintain the positive attacking formation as I believe it will ultimately pay more dividends than a negative mentality.

This is all assuming he has the tactical nouse to manage an attacking team. Maybe a defensive mentality is what comes natural to him. If so, it wont work in the long term.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I'd have personally played Lovenkrands as would many. Our withdrawn and static attack invites teams to push right up the pitch and get at us. It needs to change.

It won't though

I'd have personally played Lovenkrands as would many. Our withdrawn and static attack invites teams to push right up the pitch and get at us. It needs to change.

The one change a few would have made, as you say. Doubt it would have had a HUGE baring on the result though.

Guest malandro

The team’s form has been slipping for months and I don’t think the starting formation had much to do with this result. We played Hughton’s traditional formation against Leicester and probably would have got tanked there if they hadn’t played most the game with ten men. In much the same way the size of the result against Cardiff owed more to getting off to flyer than the shift in tactics.

That said this is woeful league and if the team hold their nerve an automatic promotion place is there for the taking.

The one change a few would have made, as you say. Doubt it would have had a HUGE baring on the result though.

You all know what I think about Carroll's constant inclusion. It hurts us, time and time again.

aye. interesting that people are saying it wasn't our day and we actually had a lot of the ball. any coincidence that we didnt score with best and carroll up front? Lovenkrands is the best finisher at the club and the most intelligent in terms of off the ball running, while he can also open up space for others, and push defences back with pace. i think most wouldve wanted him starting. not saying the result would've been different but i think with him starting we would've converted at least some of our good play into a goal or two.

Bad idea for me personally. I think he has to maintain the positive attacking formation as I believe it will ultimately pay more dividends than a negative mentality.

This is all assuming he has the tactical nouse to manage an attacking team. Maybe a defensive mentality is what comes natural to him. If so, it wont work in the long term.

Not sure we have the quality attacking players to go for too adventurous formations, we could just end up being boro in disguise. My one concern about whether we'd be clinical enough to attack Derby away from home was whether we'd put the chances away and I said it in the pre-match thread so it's not hindsight. It might turn out to be a blessing in disguise if we realise our limitations and play within them.

You all know what I think about Carroll's constant inclusion. It hurts us, time and time again.

Apart from the first 3 goals last week obviously, couldve had 4. He has his days, wouldnt blame Hughton for starting him or best to keep the same initial partnership.