The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

There are a lot of valid viewpoints in the last few posts, but what has just struck me is that you can sort of understand why a lot of other teams supporters see us the way they do.

Many fans thought there was a risk we would do a Leeds at the start of the season, and here we are in February top of the league, and we're having a go at our manager for not dropping our top goal scorer and winner of a couple of player of the month awards earlier in the season.

He has been shocking for the last few games, Saturday in particular, but then so have a lot of the team. You can't really slate Hughton for sticking with one of the key men from earlier in the season.

There are a lot of valid viewpoints in the last few posts, but what has just struck me is that you can sort of understand why a lot of other teams supporters see us the way they do.

Many fans thought there was a risk we would do a Leeds at the start of the season, and here we are in February top of the league, and we're having a go at our manager for not dropping our top goal scorer and winner of a couple of player of the month awards earlier in the season.

He has been shocking for the last few games, Saturday in particular, but then so have a lot of the team. You can't really slate Hughton for sticking with one of the key men from earlier in the season.

I think this is what separates genuine managers from those who are just pretenders. No one should get picked on what they were producing months ago, or on reputation. It might well be that Hughton sees something that we don't however. Maybe Nolan's goal threat or defensive work at set pieces out-weighs his general lethargy in open play in Hughton's eyes.

Loved his reaction on Saturday when Carroll scored  :lol: I think i was more calm than him

Thats one thing I actually love about Hughton. He is a really emotional manager who shows his emotions on the touchline. Loved that about Shearer and Keegan, too.

I'm always torn with Hughton. I reckon he gets way too much stick on here considering he's got up more or less to the top of the table from the very start and created what appears to be a good team atmosphere with the same players that looked absolutely horrendous in the premier league.

..on the other hand he's thrown out some questionable line ups to say the least and relies too much on certain players, essentially all of our central midfielders who have no engine. There's a whole host of problems, especially with the majority matches that I've been to this season.

But after all of that we are still looking good for promotion and that was the best we could have hoped for this time in September.

He's got a lot more attacking ability than most people in the team, its just that he looks unfit and off form, which is obviously a problem in central midfield.

Although I'm not saying they are of similar ability, it almost reminds me of the many games where we kept Robert in the team, even though he was laughably shite for a lot of the time when he was not on form, because there was the off chance that he might spank one in from 50 yards.

A lot of managers seem to stick with certain "leader" characters even if they are off form because they bring experience, and when your drawing to the end of the season and are only 1 point clear at the top, maybe that is what is in Hughton's mind. Once the doubts creep in, you look to the leaders in the team. Once you start dropping players who have an off game (or 6), then it can send a message to the weaker characters, and fear creeps in. Towards then end of last season and in a lot of games under Allardyce when the crowd were at their most "vicious" (copyright Joey Barton) most of the players were too scared to do anything.

Maybe I'm giving Hughton too much credit.

So after the undroppable Butt, and tonight, Smith again. Surely the myth regarding Hughton not dropping senior players for the sake of the team has well and truely been exploded now, no?

Whatever, overall he has shown his nous, and well done to the lads on the pitch again. Hell of a home record. :smitten:

Again proved that he's quite capable until he leaves Newcastle and has a brain attack with regards to team, tactics and subs.

Very few complaints about his team at Derby iirc.

How many away games have we had? He's played a balanced, attacking side in one of them and that was the Derby game which we promptly lost 3-0, meaning he's immediately sacked off that idea and gone back to the hit-and-hope, possesion squandering anti-football, with which we've lucked our way to draws and a few narrow wins.

Again proved that he's quite capable until he leaves Newcastle and has a brain attack with regards to team, tactics and subs.

How many away games have we had? He's played a balanced, attacking side in one of them and that was the Derby game which we promptly lost 3-0, meaning he's immediately sacked off that idea and gone back to the hit-and-hope, possesion squandering anti-football, with which we've lucked our way to draws and a few narrow wins.

That really isn't a great arguement. :lol:

How? No-one can deny that there's a number of away games where we've been extremely fortunate to leave with any points.

How? No-one can deny that there's a number of away games where we've been extremely fortunate to leave with any points.

"draws and a few narrow wins" > "promptly lost 3-0"

One defeat from one balanced, attacking teamsheet.

Four defeats from fourteen unbalanced, hoofball teamsheets.

Ergo; too soon to sack the balanced line-up off, too defensive and rigid away from home.

One defeat from one balanced, attacking teamsheet.

Four defeats from fourteen unbalanced, hoofball teamsheets.

Ergo; too soon to sack the balanced line-up off, too defensive and rigid away from home.

I wasn't actually against the teamsheat that most at the time wanted to see. Just pointing out that your post came across as... not the most persuasive of arguements for it. O0

Guest guinness_fiend

Yep, Hughton has played an imbalanced team and has got his tactics wrong throughout this campaign...

Some will argue that we have the best players in the world but gifted players alone don't make a "team".  We have lost four games this season and Hughton, in my mind, is right to be cautious away from home.  Almost every manager adopts defensive tactics on the road.  I'd rather play negative football away from home and scrape draws, winning at home, rather than go all out, lose games and become even more reliant on home results.

Long may it continue if it keeps us top of the league. 

Saying that, if we get promoted come May - Hughton out! :shifty: