The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest malandro

We must have been one of the most Expensively assembled and highly paid squads last season too, it means f*** all.

Of course it doesn’t. We'd have pissed the league with Scunthorpe’s squad. Chris would have taken them to Nandos for a bit of team bonding and the spirit in the camp alone would have propelled us to promotion.

It might not be a popular in certain circles, but it is a fact that Hughton found himself managing the most expensively assembled and highly paid squad in the division. Not to mention by far the best supported team. He started with an advantage and maintained it. This isn’t to take away from what he has achieved, only to put it into perspective.

Perhaps the debate needs to be turned around and ask what could he have done to scupper our promotion bid that he didn’t?

Rewind......in August this expensively assembled squad made up of various managers signings was going drag the club down financially off the pitch & take us directly to L1 on it.

Guest malandro

It might not be a popular in certain circles, but it is a fact that Hughton found himself managing the most expensively assembled and highly paid squad in the division. Not to mention by far the best supported team. He started with an advantage and maintained it. This isn’t to take away from what he has achieved, only to put it into perspective.

Perhaps the debate needs to be turned around and ask what could he have done to scupper our promotion bid that he didn’t?

Rewind......in August this expensively assembled squad made up various managers signings was going drag the club down financially off the pitch & take us directly to L1 on it.

Which CCC team started the season with a better squad of players than NUFC?

So basically wth that in mind you'd be saying that about any manager we had this season who got us into this position? What have you seen in Hughton to suggest he might not make it as a prem amanager?

For what its worth Im wary about having him in the premiership, so far Hughton has the team playing at par.

We have a better defence than the rest of the league (well 3 of them) but other than that it's VERY debatable imo and the centre of our midfield has constantly been bummed in the face by players who will have cost a sixth of the price and be lucky to be on a sixth of the wages.

Rewind......in August this expensively assembled squad made up various managers signings was going drag the club down financially off the pitch & take us directly to L1 on it.

We had a better squad than Hull but that counted for fuck all man.

Take a refresher with SKYSPORTS.COM to see how they thought we were going to do this season http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11096_5463544,00.html

Pre-season we had no manager & got trashed by Leyton Orient, fairplay to you for thinking we were going to piss this league

Guest malandro

So basically wth that in mind you'd be saying that about any manager we had this season who got us into this position? What have you seen in Hughton to suggest he might not make it as a prem amanager?

For what its worth Im wary about having him in the premiership, so far Hughton has the team playing at par.

I’m not and haven’t said he will fail in the PL. He might or he might not, I don’t know. My main concern would be that it was the reaction of the players to being relegated that has been the driving force behind this season’s campaign, rather than Hughton’s leadership.

Guest malandro

We had a better squad than Hull but that counted for f*** all man.

Take a refresher with SKYSPORTS.COM to see how they thought we were going to do this season http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11096_5463544,00.html

Pre-season we had no manager & got trashed by Leyton Orient, fairplay to you for thinking we were going to piss this league

I’m not interested in Sky Sports, or what people’s perceptions of the CCC were in August. I thought we might struggle, but then again I hadn’t taken much interest in the CC for 15 years. When it comes to assessing how well Hughton has done the starting point has to be what he had to work with. So, which CCC team started the season with a better squad of players than NUFC?

I certainly didn't think at the beginning of the 08/09 season that there were 17 clubs in the Premiership with better squads than Newcastle.  Most people didn't think there were 10 or 12.  And yet 17 finished above us.  How is it that Stoke, Blackburn, Hull, Bolton etc. managed it? 

If success this season is all down to the attitude of the players upon getting relegated, then I really wish they could have summoned that effort and consistency a little earlier on.  Nice of them to start now though.  I hope they don't lose interest again next season, poor little lambs.

I’m not interested in Sky Sports, or what people’s perceptions of the CCC were in August. I thought we might struggle, but then again I hadn’t taken much interest in the CC for 15 years. When it comes to assessing how well Hughton has done the starting point has to be what he had to work with. So, which CCC team started the season with a better squad of players than NUFC?

A few things you say haven't taken much interest in CCC for 15 years yet you seem to be clued up on how well Keano did in the CCC. Mackem fan are we? You thought we would struggle why is that? Your not bothered about peoples perceptions of the CCC in August yet you ask "which CCC team started the season with a better squad of players than NUFC". We had the squad with the most big names & players on the most coin per week if that is what you want to read but then & I JUST KNOW YOUR NOT INTRESTED BUT SO DID LEED's & VARIOUS OTHER FORMER PL CLUBS WHEN THEY WENT DOWN. Our players have had the right man in charge of them this season & for that he deserves a crack in the PL, may not be the correct man long term but he has earned his chance.

Now we can too & fro message but I cant see you posting anything that will change my mind & I doubt I am going to change your dislike for CH as you have been at it for while in this thread.

I'm happy enough to see how he does next season but I don't see why everybody should have the same opinion.  malandro has every right to form his own opinion and then to express it.  I think the chances of Hughton turning out to be a good manager are 50/50 so it could go either way for him.

I don't think Hughton has been as good as some people think he's been and that is mainly down to some of the reasons already mentioned.  Our squad is better than anything in this league and we look to have done as well as we should have with the players at our disposal.

Hughton has won me over but I'm not totally convinced that he can make the step up, I do now think he should be given the chance to prove himself and that wasn't the case 2 months ago.

Guest optimistic nit

really think hughton has improved as a manager in this season. completely changed my opinion on him. i'm still sceptical as to whether he'd do well for us in the PL, but i definately think he should be in charge in august next season.

i was researching transfers just now and was amazed to see kinnear was still our manager 13 at around this point last season (well he got ill in feb). That feels like such along time ago now. :lol:

Guest optimistic nit

I’m not and haven’t said he will fail in the PL. He might or he might not, I don’t know. My main concern would be that it was the reaction of the players to being relegated that has been the driving force behind this season’s campaign, rather than Hughton’s leadership.

your giving him absolutely no credit here.

yes we have the best squad in the league, no one doubts that and nobody thought any different at the start of the season, but if you look at the predictions of our position then the number of people saying we were going to finish first was no where near as high as you would expect for the best team in the league.

we were coming into the season still in the midst of off the field problems that we've been under since keegan fucked off, we were the team to beat and hardly any of our players had any Championship experience. we were worried teams would up their games against us, that our players wouldn't cope with the physicallity of the league (collicini as an example), that there would be no team unity and that we'd lose all our players and be left with 18 year old kids in the team because we hadn't signed anyone.

None of those things have happened or if they have, they haven't affected us. We've still got enrique, taylor, harper, colli, jonas and others that we were worried about leaving, our players have coped with the league very well and we have (it appears) excellent squad unity (look at the celebration following enriques goal) none of this happened by accident. Hughton has had a lot of issues that could have fucked our season up like they fucked last one up but he's dealt with them and there has not really been any point when it hasn't looked like we wouldn't be going up, as champions.

my main concern was that newcastle are simply not a team that can win enough games to finish in the top 2, as we lose or draw too many games that we should win but that turned out not to be the case as well (assuming we dont implode).

also looking at the players we've signed, only leon best appears to be someone that hasn't been useful to us this season, we've done pretty well imo.

Guest sittingontheball

I think it's going to be a weaker Premiership that we return to. We've seen what's happened with Portsmouth, and I can see the same problems visiting other teams in the league. With the odd exception like Citeh, the money looks like its seriously drying up. If that's the case, maybe its better to aim for stability. As time goes on, I can only see the appeal of playing in front of a Toon sized crowd and 30k a week wages, if that's what the cap is, increasing. That mightn't be enough for a say Robbie Keane-level player now, but I guess it will be one or two years' time.

The only reason to ditch Hughton would be if he's going to lead us straight back down. Any prospective manager would still be second-rate and rape us for a big contract. If we can stay up, I think we'll be in a much stronger bargaining position in a year's time.

What you're arguing here is pure and utter crap. You should just admit that you're being a negative sod about Hughton's chances as a manager in top flight rather than try to justify the stupidity of your argument with NE5-esque "facts".

The "fact" is that NUFC is top of the league with a few games to go, and we have had some special moments in a season we have enjoyed a million times more than our time in top flight since Sir Bobby's time. Chris Hughton is the man in charge at present, and that's who all the credit is going to.

I'm happy enough to see how he does next season but I don't see why everybody should have the same opinion.  malandro has every right to form his own opinion and then to express it.  I think the chances of Hughton turning out to be a good manager are 50/50 so it could go either way for him.

I don't think Hughton has been as good as some people think he's been and that is mainly down to some of the reasons already mentioned.  Our squad is better than anything in this league and we look to have done as well as we should have with the players at our disposal.

Hughton has won me over but I'm not totally convinced that he can make the step up, I do now think he should be given the chance to prove himself and that wasn't the case 2 months ago.

Yes malandro is entitled to form and express his own opinions of course, but with his kind of approach it begs the question, how much time/patience will Hughton get from the faithful next season should things not get off to the best of starts? We've been crying out a long time for a young ambitious manager who we could give time to build a squad here, and I think Hughton deserves a real go of things the way he has handled himself, Ashley and the players this season. If people with malandro's opinion on Hughton outnumber those who support him, it would worry me more than Hughton's credentials as a PL manager.

Was really shocked while reading this and thinking "WTF? NO! Please not again!" Until I realised it's April 1st.  :lol:

http://www.nufcblog.com/2010/04/01/chris-hughton-out-at-newcastle-owner-fires-manager/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nufcblog+%28The+Newcastle+United+Blog%29

Sensational news reported late last night that Mike Ashley has had a falling out with Newcastle manager Chris Hughton, who is said to have already left the Tyneside club.

Chris Hughton – not really surprised at his sacking

This is almost unbelievable as Chris has almost succeeded in seeing Newcastle back into the Premier League at his first attempt, but there has been a huge reported blow-up between manager and owner.

We understand that over the last few weeks there has been tension between the two men, and inside sources have revealed it’s due to some average  performances recently put in by the side.

There is also some talk that the reason Chris has been fired is so that Newcastle are free to go after Jose Mourinho this summer,

It seems that Jose is determined to leave Inter-Milan and initial contact made by the club suggests he would jump at the chance to join Newcastle United, the home town club of his former mentor, the great Bobby Robson.

While Newcastle seem to have been doing well in the league,  it seems that it wasn’t good enough for Mike Ashley and particularly for Managing Director Derek Llambias.

Derek explained the sacking late last night:

“This has been brewing for some time.”"While we have been generally pleased with what Chris and the team have done this season, we have been rather disappointed at the recent dropping of points at both Middlesbrough and Bristol City.”

“We also believe that Newcastle should have scored more goals than just two on Monday night, so Mike decided now was the right time to make the change.”

“We are already looking at a replacement and have a short list of three  with Jose Morinho our preferred choice, but Sven Eriksson and Fabio Capello  - if he leaves the England job after the World Cup – are also in with a chance.”

“Rafael Benittez called last night when he heard the news, but we had to tell him his record at Liverpool wouldn’t cut the mustard at Newcastle and we would not consider him for the Newcastle position.”

“It was really tough to watch a grown man cry so so much, but what more can i say?”

When contacted late last night at his home in Newcastle, Chris Hughton was magnanimous about his rather sudden and dramatic dismissal,  and issued the following statement through the LMA  (League Managers Association):

“This may be a surprise to Newcastle supporters, but I saw it coming over the last two or three weeks. Those two away draws were just not good and I knew it at the time.”

“And Monday night was basically it, because I knew Mike would be disappointed at only a two goal win against a side we really should have torn apart.”

“But I accept the decision and will be saying farewell to the players tomorrow morning at the Benton training grounds.:

“Yes, I hope to back into management again, maybe with a Conference club – if they’ll have me.”

We expected that from Chris, who has always been a gentleman while managing Newcastle on a permanent basis  since last October, and to think we thought he had done quite well this season.

It’s so hard to explain this rather surprising news, other than to say that Alan Shearer was appointed manager on this same day last year – April 1st.