The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/apr/05/newcastle-united-promotion-premier-league

Giving power to Kevin Nolan, Alan Smith, Steve Harper and Nicky Butt, a man who as a Tottenham full-back had mixed in Trotskyite circles watched that 'Politburo' ensure his coaching drills and game plans were strictly adhered to.

I like this guy more and more.  Long live Comrade Hughton.

That Enrique story is pretty shocking like. Poor guy. But all is well now  :frantic:

Credit where its due.

At the end of last season, I fully believed we deserved to go down, despite the numbness I tried to dream that it might even work out well with us. Shearer looked set to stay on, a dream coaching team joining him, quality players still knocking on the door and looking to join the revolution.

Come September things couldnt have looked bleaker, whilst we still retained enough quality to give promotion a great shot, the club was in tatters internally and externally.

Rumours of a Kinnear return or a nearly as bad thought of keeping our nice guy but ultimately spineless looking pair of coaches in charge loomed. Doing a Leeds was looking increasingly possible.

I'd honestly say whilst I'd keep a quiet, very reserved hope we could make it back at the first attempt I had no idea which end of the table we would end up.

Both Hughton, Calderwood, the other staff and of course the players deserve a huge amount of credit for proving doubters wrong and turning despair back into hope.

Hughton wouldnt be my ideal choice to take us into the premiership but there is no doubt he has earned this chance.

I'd still like to see an experienced hand added to the coaching set up for next year, to aid. We are really down to the bare bones coaching wise.

Regardless, Stage one is complete... Over to you Mike for stage two.

When getting a goal becomes a neccessity and the players use their own initiative, we play better football.

Aye, clearly:

NUFC 5-1 Cardiff

NUFC 4-1 Coventry

NUFC 3-0 PNE

NUFC 6-1 Barnsley

NUFC 3-0 Scunthorpe

When getting a goal becomes a neccessity and the players use their own initiative, we play better football.

Howay man, how can you tell the difference between player initiative and hughton's tactics?

Not say it's not true, but it's almost impossible to tell from watching.

Ronaldo knows everything man, he can tell you how good any one player from any of the 92 league teams are, he knows what is said on the Newcastle training ground, and in the dressing room and also what was in Shola's shopping basket a week past tuesday!

like fuck he can!

Lovenkrands had some "gilt edged" chances last night and I thought sheffield were toothless up front. There goal was a lack of fight and concentration from our marker, gifted him that header...

A fair score I thought, although the defenders around Nolan suffered some "matrix" slow motion reactions whilst he scratched his arse, positioned himself, took a sup and then overgut kicked the ball into the back of the net. As long as he keeps scoring I'm not too bothered. He was all over the pitch last night regardless of how "overweight" he looks to some. Good shift!

Hughton kept faith well when they looked a bit lethargic in the first half and they fairly dominated the second. I'll put it down to his half time tea cup tantrum :)

Well done to hughton and good luck for next season, I am 100% behind him and would be dissapointed if another manager was brought in.

I have 100% respect for the man, I really hope he can now go on now and have a great prem career with us.

Every manager has to start off soemwhere and winning a title will be a great start for him.

:smitten: :smitten:  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Regardless of relegation and all that happened last season, when Hughton became manager we were a team low on morale and confidence and one headed for a nose dive.

For his first proper managerial job, to make us the first promoted side in the country is an achievement, and one he deserves praise for.

Hughton's earned his place at the top, I reckon. I've become increasingly impressed with him as a manager, especially since January, and I think he comes across well on TV, he clearly has the trust and confidence of the board and the dressing room, and has led us back to the Premiership in what has undoubtedly been difficult and challenging circumstances. I'm impressed not only with what he's achieved, but also the way he's done it. It would be unfair and irresponsible of Ashley not to let Hughton continue to manage us next year. Continuity and stability will be key for us next season - ripping it up and starting again would be playing Russian roulette with our newly regained Premiership status. So long as he is given the necessary backing in the transfer market, I'm confident he can get us a comfortable mid-table finish next year, and we can build from there.

Keep Chris!

Lets face it the guy came in when we were at our lowest point and as far as i am aware he did not moan or bitch about the whole situation once! He puut his head down and got on with the job and in doing so he stabilised the club froim the players up.

He deserves his chance and, although there are improvements that need to be made such as suad selection and the introduction of exciting/attacking football, i reaally think that this guy can become great but not a messiah because we already have too many of those :D  

Regardless of relegation and all that happened last season, when Hughton became manager we were a team low on morale and confidence and one headed for a nose dive.

For his first proper managerial job, to make us the first promoted side in the country is an achievement, and one he deserves praise for.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mr Christopher Hughton  I THANK YOU SIR

Something on Talksport this morning about Martin Jol being brought in to work with him which personally I would approve of 100% but I can't believe Hughton would be happy about it.

Bringing in Jol would be bizzare. Jol and Hughton are exactly the same type of manager, more of a coach than a manager, in that they spend more time on the training ground than in the office. Let's hope this isnt true, it would totally undermine Hughton and we're back to September 2008 again.

Can't see jol doing that. Always liked him.we need someone of his experience at the club next year though to assist hughton.

I disagree. The management structure at the club right now needs exactly one thing: no change.

If Hughton fails then sack him then and get someone who'll do better. No need to exhume an idea that's already failed spectacularly in the mean time.