Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

I don't mind Williamson but think he is more of a good cover defender than a starting 11 player. I would certainly have Taylor higher in the pecking order, i think Taylor and Colo have a very good partnership to establish, just injuries or suspensions have prevented it from really getting a good run of late.

Perfectly adequate Premier League squad player.

Let Campbell go, bring Kadar into the fold and we'll still need another CB.

Colo's only going to get slower, Williamson is average at best, as is Taylor. We need a CB version of Tiote.

Perfectly adequate Premier League squad player.

Let Campbell go, bring Kadar into the fold and we'll still need another CB.

Colo's only going to get slower, Williamson is average at best, as is Taylor. We need a CB version of Tiote.

Aye, but I can't see Chelsea selling John Terry just yet.

Seriously, I still think MW is a very decent centre half who can do it at this level.

We've given up on far too many defenders in recent seasons the moment they had a slight wobble only to be proven wrong and ended up with replacements who were no better or even inferior.

But Williamson has consistently been the weak link in our defence this season. Without exaggerating, I honestly think he is responsible for at least 10 goals being conceded this season.

In this league, he's average at best.

Should Mike Ashley do the unlikely and give us the money to spend... i'd love to see Hangeland alongside Colo.

That would free up Taylor as a cover for both centre half and right back.

Should Mike Ashley do the unlikely and give us the money to spend... i'd love to see Hangeland alongside Colo.

The only thing is, I think the 5 year contracts handed to them were an indication that he won't be willing to make CB signings. I fear Campbell we be replaced with another adequate CB and that will be the end of it.

That would be amazing.

Would be a superb signing. Handled Andy Carroll better than any other CH this season in the match at St.James'

Hanngelaand hasn't really performed well though this season. How much would we pay for him, n would filial accept the bid ??

10m? That would be the going rate for a player of his quality IMO but after recent transfers who knows?

Certainly worth that if we were prepared to bid 13m for N'Zogbia.

So ... Simpson as RB (with Saylor as cover) Coloccini and ??? at CB (with Saylor and Williamson as cover) and Enrique at LB (with Kadar as LB/CB cover).

Sounds too good to be true.

If the ??? is of the right quality that would probably be the best Newcastle defence in my lifetime.

(Not that there's much competition)

In all seriousness it's what we should be looking to do.

If Samba had not signed a new deal, he would be on the "list" too. Might have his head turned if a bid was put in though.

But Williamson has consistently been the weak link in our defence this season. Without exaggerating, I honestly think he is responsible for at least 10 goals being conceded this season.

Notwithstanding the 2nd half Saturday when he was excellent, I'd say Danny Simpson has been our weakest defender overall but seems to be flavour of the month with many.

Enrique who does many things brilliantly and has awesome power and pace has arguably made the most defensive mistakes this season but has the near legendary status that makes them easily forgotten.

Williamson has made a goal saving last ditch tackle in both of the last games and at 6'4" he's going to be very handy in some of the away games coming up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for improving the squad when we can but good centre halfs don't grow on trees and until we are guaranteed a better option I think Williamson is doing just fine. I'd make full backs or full back cover our defensive priority.

Notwithstanding the 2nd half Saturday when he was excellent, I'd say Danny Simpson has been our weakest defender overall but seems to be flavour of the month with many.

Enrique who does many things brilliantly and has awesome power and pace has arguably made the most defensive mistakes this season but has the near legendary status that makes them easily forgotten.

Williamson has made a goal saving last ditch tackle in both of the last games and at 6'4" he's going to be very handy in some of the away games coming up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for improving the squad when we can but good centre halfs don't grow on trees and until we are guaranteed a better option I think Williamson is doing just fine. I'd make full backs or full back cover our defensive priority.

Nah, Williamson kills babies and eats kittens for breakfast man.

In all seriousness it's what we should be looking to do.

If Samba had not signed a new deal, he would be on the "list" too. Might have his head turned if a bid was put in though.

The new deal might just be to protect his resale value TBH, contracts don't mean much if you can afford the asking price and the players wants out.

Not sure how good Samba actually is mind, he looks a beasy but I haven't seen him play many full 90s.

Can't remember Enrique making too many mistakes before this week.

I think you'd be in the minority saying that generally, Simpson has performed worse than Williamson this season.