Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

I don't see any marked difference in the amount of goals conceded under Pardew compared to Hughton.

Hughton - 25 goals in 16 games. (1.56 goals conceded per game).

Pardew - 13 goals in 9 games. (1.44 goals conceded per game).

I'd love to know what you think Pardew has actually done to make the defence more porous (in your opinion).  Do you think we have changed the way we defend?  Has he told them to take more risks?  Not bother with marking?

Wait till Pardew gets to 25 matches and then we can talk about Pardew being better defensively.

I can't blame him tbh. He was first choice all season, then Pardew comes in and Taylor regains fitness and suddenly he's on the bench.

His head is down mainly because he feels as though he's just in the team because there's noone else. It's hard to motivate a player in that situation.

Surely he should be motivated enough to think that if he plays well he'll keep Taylor out?

But he won't, that's the point I was originally making.

I'd have expected the manager to keep faith in what I see as our first choice CB partnership, over a player who was only weeks before wrestling the club over a couple more quid on his contract.

I wouldn't say he's been 's***' at all either. He's no Colocinni but I think he's lower risk compared to Taylor, who I find to take too many risks with his passing and the stupid arm thing that he continues to do again and again - he thinks he's rambo and clearly loves himself, but that's just my opinion (no doubt one that Ronaldo or someone will be along soon to laugh at and call me 'stupid')

That being said, I'd still be looking for a better partner for Colo.

I'm staggered, on the evidence of Arsenal (twice), Wigan (h), Blackburn (h), Bolton (a) and Stevenage, that anyone would choose Williamson over Taylor right now.

Williamson was worse in those games than I can ever remember Taylor being, for all his kissing the badge, arm-waving nonsense.

Because those games are stretched out over a number of months. Of course a player is going to have bad games, but to pick each one of them out like that is unfair.

If Taylor had played as much, he'd have had as many poor games. In fact, I'd struggle to name a player who hasn't had a few poor games this season.

Sorry, but that's nonsense. In all those games, Williamson didn't just make mistakes, he single-handedly cost us goals. When did Taylor last make a mistake as blatant, basic, weak and generally piss poor as Williamson did against, say, Jason Roberts? When did Taylor last play as abjectly as Williamson did at Bolton, or even on Saturday?

Yes, Taylor has significant flaws in his game, and the sooner he realises he isn't a Geordie Beckenbauer, the better. But the idea that Williamson is harshly criticised is mighty rich considering the zero leeway given to Taylor, who - don't forget - didn't put a foot wrong for the first half of last season.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think he will be after 2 clean sheets, like. As soon as there's an iffy defensive performance though, I reckon he'll come in.

Which is fair enough and Taylor will have to accept that. Will do Taylor no harm training at peak condition without playing anyway.

Not really. It's been years since Taylor's been shown up like Williamson was against Arsenal.

Williamson will generally do Ok against plodding/brainless attacks like tonight, but stick him against effective movement in any form and he'll struggle.

Not really. It's been years since Taylor's been shown up like Williamson was against Arsenal.

Williamson will generally do Ok against plodding/brainless attacks like tonight, but stick him against effective movement in any form and he'll struggle.

As will Taylor which is why we need to sign a new starting CB in the summer to play alongside Coloccini. A Chris (not necessarily him) Samba type.

He suits Colo better because he is unassuming.

Taylor likes to be the hero but Colo is the one who should be getting forward because he is excellent at it. Willo is happy to sit back and do it simple which is why they suit each other.

A giant tank of a centre back would be perfect for Colo in the summer, a bit more mobile than Sol mind.

Taylor likes to be the hero but Colo is the one who should be getting forward because he is excellent at it. Willo is happy to sit back and do it simple which is why they suit each other.

A giant tank of a centre back would be perfect for Colo in the summer, a bit more mobile than Sol mind.

:thup:

When Taylor was last in the team he only ever gave it short to Tiote or another midfielder.  He's much less hot heated than he was.

I'd keep Williamson and Colo as a partnership as they are doing well but I still think there's more to come from Taylor  he's never really played in a settled team with a the same manager for more than about a year!

Last few games though, Williamson has been getting better and better.

If we did sign a CB, it would need to be someone clearly better than Williamson and Taylor, not a backup IMO.

Yup.  I'd love it if we started next season with another top class CB alongside Colo.  Colo, (?), Williamson and Taylor is a decent four CBs to have IMO