Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

Williamson's certainly a lot more likeable than Taylor, that's for sure.

When Taylor came out with his "i want more money or i'm off" transfer request tripe at the end of the summer, it smacked of everything that had happened the previous couple of years. Basically, mercenaries not playing for the club. Obviously i wouldn't put Taylor in the same boat as the likes of Martins and Owen (after all, he's still here) - but, similarly, i don't put him in the same boat as the likes of Nolan, Carroll, Barton, etc... ie, those who look like they'd literally die for the club.

I think there's more of a future in Williamson/Colo than there is with Taylor. If only cos i see him as a bit of a dick who'd get his head turned at some point.

I'm a little suprised more has'nt been made of Williamson's performance, tbh. I don't know exactly what it is, but when he plays, I feel much more confident about our defence than when Taylor plays, even to the extent that when he makes mistakes, I don't worry as much. In the second half I thought he was excellent, and lead Coloccini's example. If he can remain at that level, it's a no-brainer to play him ahead of Taylor.

I know what you mean. Williamson comes across as a calm personality whereas our other defenders - Simpson, Perch, Taylor, Colo, Enrique - all look a bit nervy under pressure. Our defence usually looks that bit more confident and organised when Willo's around.

I'm a little suprised more has'nt been made of Williamson's performance, tbh. I don't know exactly what it is, but when he plays, I feel much more confident about our defence than when Taylor plays, even to the extent that when he makes mistakes, I don't worry as much. In the second half I thought he was excellent, and lead Coloccini's example. If he can remain at that level, it's a no-brainer to play him ahead of Taylor.

I know what you mean. Williamson comes across as a calm personality whereas our other defenders - Simpson, Taylor, Colo, Enrique - all look a bit nervy under pressure. Our defence usually looks that bit more confident and organised when Willo's around.

Enrique!? Got to be the coolest cucumber in the, erm, pack (sic). If there's a ball played down our left-side... it either exits via the touchline, or is pumped back up-field by Enrique, after he's taken the onrushing opponent to fucking Alaska*.

*© johnnypd, circa 2008.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'll agree with that, there's been a few times this season when the ball has got trapped/lost/stuck under Williamson's feet and he looks like he panics. Few sloppy back passes to the Krul too (seemingly forgetting which foot Krul kicks with). However, his long balls are better than Taylor's, but I'm not sure that's a great achievement.

Limited footballer that shouldn't be viewed as anything more than a squad player moving forward, would start Taylor ahead of him every time given the choice. Decent backup if he's happy to be a squad player though.

Taylor is better physically and technically. He has far more natural attributes to be a superior defender to Williamson.

Yet Williamson simply looks like a better defender, go figure. Saylor has been stuck at the same point of development for about 4 years.

It's because Williamson reads the game better. Espicially when the ball's in the air, either a cross or a diagonal. Williamson did very well in the 2nd half against the mackems when they tried popping the ball over the top. He just read it.

Taylor's a better athlete and better with the ball.

Taylor is better physically and technically. He has far more natural attributes to be a superior defender to Williamson.

Yet Williamson simply looks like a better defender, go figure. Saylor has been stuck at the same point of development for about 4 years.

It's because Williamson reads the game better. Espicially when the ball's in the air, either a cross or a diagonal. Williamson did very well in the 2nd half against the mackems when they tried popping the ball over the top. He just read it.

Taylor's a better athlete and better with the ball.

Agree with these sentiments. Williamson may be physically and arguably technically inferior - but is a far more intelligent footballer than Taylor.

I'd say Taylor is pretty technically limited. Willow is twice the player.

Wouldn't say twice the player like, although Taylor hasn't developed into the "future England captain" people were banging onabout when he was 21 he isn't as bad as some people make out, was good last year before he got himself injured but hasn't realy had much of a chance this year.

As for Willo i'd just like to see him beef up a bit, his physical presence hasn't exactly become a problem but a bit more muscle wouldn't hurt.

Perhaps ‘cool-headed’ isn’t the best description, but Williamson is a strong character and that comes out in his play. I think it also helps out the rest of the defence.

Centre back is a very exposed position where players have to make fine judgements about whether or not to challenge, where to position themselves etc etc  Mistakes can be costly and the role comes with pressure, and a CB needs to be fully committed to their decisions.

Despite the fact that Taylor is by far the better athlete, I don’t think he’s developed those kinds of mental qualities like Williamson has. Taylor’s career – so far, at least – has been a disappointment.

Williamson is a solid performer who may get done by the better player. Whereas Taylor is likely to mess the defensive line up, or come charging out to dive into a tackle at a relatively comfortable moment in the game.