Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

Guest icemanblue

This is quite odd, but I really can't imagine him being your typical football Billy big bollocks. Looks like a decent, down to earth, kind of guy. :lol:

This is quite odd, but I really can't imagine him being your typical football Billy big bollocks. Looks like a decent, down to earth, kind of guy. :lol:

He's played for Torquay United and Wycombe Wanderers in his career and had to work his way to where he's at now, would make sense if that had made him a more rounded person than the archetypal footballer who's spent their entire youth in the bubble of a big club's academy, with everybody telling them they're God's gift to humanity.

If we've got ambitions of Europe, a centre-back as good and effective as Coloccini is just about an essential imo. Williamson's a decent player though. Same with the Jonas thing, imo. I like him too but a left-winger would be a priority for me where the £35m's concerned.

Guest icemanblue

He's played for Torquay United and Wycombe Wanderers in his career and had to work his way to where he's at now, would make sense if that had made him a more rounded person than the archetypal footballer who's spent their entire youth in the bubble of a big club's academy, with everybody telling them they're God's gift to humanity.

Aye, that's probably it. He has a nice face, as well.

In his first games after replacing Taylor he was a bit rusty, but he's improved by each game. Especially against physical teams like Wolves it's important to have a cd that is strong in the air. Wolves kept on hitting long balls, but they did not lead to anything because Williamson won very duel.

Guest Stephen927

Got a lot to prove after what happened at Portsmouth, he's going a long way towards establishing himself as a decent Premiership defender.

He knows his limitations, that's absolutely key for him. He is fairly average technically but makes up for it by adopting a no nonsense approach. Simple but effective for the vast majority of the time.

Aye good point, getting a significantly better player for that position would be pricey.

Arsenal have spent a fortune on players who are about as good if not worse.

Squillaci and Koscielny were poor buys. Consider Samba, he cost something ridiculous like £500,000.

We need a big, physical defender, who can pass the ball on the deck to play alongside Colo imo.

Aye good point, getting a significantly better player for that position would be pricey.

Arsenal have spent a fortune on players who are about as good if not worse.

Squillaci and Koscielny were poor buys. Consider Samba, he cost something ridiculous like £500,000.

We need a big, physical defender, who can pass the ball on the deck to play alongside Colo imo.

True, if we could get someone like Samba it would be amazing.

But I wouldn't want to replace Williamson with a useless lump just for perceived 'physical presence'. The great thing about Samba is that he's actually good... not just big.

Williamson's fine if our ambition is to hover around mid-table.

If we want to progress he should be a squad player.

I've got loads of time for him though as he seems a decent, honest pro.

Punk,tdeans whatever,Williamson did not win every aerial ball on Saturday.Far from it.

This. Got seriously bailed out several times by Colo and, fair play to the young 'un, Ferguson.

Anyone who says different can't have been at the game.

Gary Cahill is too expensive, but I'd love him to partner Colo. Big and steady, yet a good footballer who can pass it well.

The type of defender we'd ideally have alongside Colo.

Not sure about that. I'd rather a 'stop it at all costs' type like Carragher, but a better version, clearly. We have Colo for the composure and quality on the ball.

As for Williamson, I echo what Tooj has already said. He's a great pro and a reliable enough defender for where we currently want to be.

We could need a samba-kind of stopper. But it's not the department we need to be prioritize right now. Imo it's more important to buy a rb that could challenge Simpson. Talylor is mainly a cd and not a rb. And Perch is not good enough.

Man of the match with good margins imo. One of the best games I've seen from him. Won every header. Good positioning resulted in him snapping up a couple of through ball attempts. And he was even cool with the ball.. Had some couple of nice passes to central midfield, but also did it simple when necessary. The difference between him and Taylor was noticeable today.