Wayne Routledge signs 3 year deal with Swansea

clintdempsey

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_7003153,00.html

Routledge facing Toon exit

Wide-man mentioned to Premier League and Championship clubs

Skysports.com understands that Newcastle have circulated the name of Wayne Routledge to a number of other clubs.

The wide-man spent the second half of last season on loan at QPR and played an important part in helping Neil Warnock's side to the Championship title.

Routledge impressed in the second division, having struggled in the Premier League, and Warnock said at the end of the campaign that he hoped to keep the 26-year-old.

But no deal has been agreed and Newcastle remain keen to offload the player they signed from QPR in January 2010.

QPR are understood to still be interested, but Routledge has also been mentioned to a number of other Premier League and Championship clubs, including Nottingham Forest.

Alan Pardew is setting about remodelling his squad at St James' Park and has already signed Sylvain Marveaux, Yohan Cabaye and Demba Ba.

Guest johnson293

Can definitely see Hughton in for him... surprised the QPR deal is seemingly dead though.

Though maybe clubs are realising that The Championship is his best level?

If we don't sign Zog/Barnetta/someone else, i'd be happy to keep him around for some squad depth. Aside from that though, i can't see us having much of a job on trying to shift him.

Guest firetotheworks

He's such a bizarre player like. He seems to massively lack confidence in his ability, which he has when he believes. It must be a vicious circle thing for him.

Regardless of how good/bad he may be, it was unfair of Pardew to say what he did in January, especially when there are far bigger shysters right under his nose. It can't be good for his already weak mentality if he does stay.

Regardless of how good/bad he may be, it was unfair of Pardew to say what he did in January, especially when there are far bigger shysters right under his nose. It can't be good for his already weak mentality if he does stay.

Contrary to my last post in this thread i kinda enjoyed the ruthlessness on that occasion. He was far from good enough and told to sling his hook; a message to the rest of the squad. Not replacing him was the cardinal error.

Contrary to my last post in this thread i kinda enjoyed the ruthlessness on that occasion. He was far from good enough and told to sling his hook; a message to the rest of the squad. Not replacing him was the cardinal error.

Heard that before...

Regardless of his ability to play in the PL, I think he would have made a significant difference in some of the games he missed between January and the Summer.

Most notably, running out the game in the Sunderland/Spurs games, injecting a bit of pace into the lacklustre second half against Everton and the trip to Villa where we looked unbalanced, mismatched and off the pace.

Letting him go was bad. Not replacing him was criminal.

Heard that before...

Dunno. 'Cardinal's a rare'un, i'd say. Cranked up synonyms.com just for that beaut.

Regardless of his ability to play in the PL, I think he would have made a significant difference in some of the games he missed between January and the Summer.

Most notably, running out the game in the Sunderland/Spurs games, injecting a bit of pace into the lacklustre second half against Everton and the trip to Villa where we looked unbalanced, mismatched and off the pace.

This.

This.

I said when we let Routledge go in January it might give more opportunities for Ferguson.

Of those games you mentioned we had Routledge as an unused substitute at Sunderland, and Ferguson was an unused sub against Spurs & Villa. We had pace if we wanted to go down that route but Pardew decided on bringing on Gosling & Perch instead. That's tactical, and I'm sure in the situation many managers would have went down the "hang on to 1-0" route rather than bring on pace at that stage.

We also finished the game against Everton with Jonas & Ferguson on the wings, that defeat was just down to Everton being better on the day than anything else. Amazed at how much has been played on Wayne smegging Routledge leaving. :lol:

I said when we let Routledge go in January it might give more opportunities for Ferguson.

Of those games you mentioned we had Routledge as an unused substitute at Sunderland, and Ferguson was an unused sub against Spurs & Villa. We had pace if we wanted to go down that route but Pardew decided on bringing on Gosling & Perch instead. That's tactical, and I'm sure in the situation many managers would have went down the "hang on to 1-0" route rather than bring on pace at that stage.

We also finished the game against Everton with Jonas & Ferguson on the wings, that defeat was just down to Everton being better on the day than anything else. Amazed at how much has been played on Wayne smegging Routledge leaving. :lol:

Personally don't think that much is being 'played' on him leaving tbh :dontknow:

I just think he's more useful than the majority of this forum gives him credit for, and we certainly missed him (or his space in the squad) whilst he was at QPR.

The Wigan (a) game is testament to what affect he could have had in seeing out a 1-0 victory though. We just gave him the ball and he ran it across the halfway line and down the wing.

He's also capable of offering something different. Against Villa we looked very one paced and our midfield was so unbalanced, with Barton drifting inside and practically every single attack going down the left.

Everton were there for the taking IMO. And we simply ran out of ideas. That's as well as throwing more players out of position than was necessary. Simpson on the wing man, it could have so easily have been avoided.

I'm not pretending he's capable of stepping up to the PL, but it was a mistake to let him go.

:thup: agree with JH there. I was absolutely livid with him after the Stevenage performance, that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. However, watching Simpson on the wing and loads of square pegs being forced into round holes during uninspiring draws/defeats made it obvious we shouldn't have let him go so fast without a replacement.