Wayne Routledge signs 3 year deal with Swansea

clintdempsey

Guest kingdawson

As I said before, even when he joined Villa he had been inactive for yonks, after being messed about by Tottenham, and he was also coming off an injury.

It's not as though when they bought him he had been flying at his previous club or anything. His confidence was shattered at that point he was at his absolute lowest when he went to Villa. They didn't exactly bring him in for the first team either so what was his spur or motivation really. I doubt he felt he had a real chance. Just another experience as he had just had at Pompey and Fulham. The odd appearance here and there.

Your being harsh Brummie so quit it. I recall very well his first year in the prem with Palace, as I used to live near the area and he was very good. A lot of clubs were after him at the end of that season don't forget. Tottenham just messed him around big time.

Over the summer people were writing off both Boateng and Kaboul! Boateng didn't have a squad number last year! He's twice the player Jenas is!

I know our track record with youngsters isn't exactly great but no way are we responsible for the failings of Wayne Routlegde. Jol bought both Routlege and Lennon in the summer of 05. Routlege was brought in as the first choice right winger and looked exceptional during pre season. Pompey away was our first game of that season and Routledge broke his foot and was around for 5 months (iirc). Lennon stepped in and looked the business.

Routledge returned and didn't look the same player we saw in pre season (i remember when we played Pompey he was so bad he came off after being substituted on). Granted he didn't really get much of a chance with Lennon's form so we loaned him out.

Just came home after a hard nights work. Thought I would just come on here to check how the old black and white was doing, already resigned to just find threads like "would you sit next to Barton in a quizshow?" and "ronaldo is making fun of my new haircut!!", when I saw "Wayne Routledge signs on 3.5 year deal".

Needless to say, I was blown away by the news of what to me seems to be a very decent signing. I will read tomorrow what people think and why this is all part of ashleys masterplan to destroy football as we know it, but no matter what happens, at least this signing made me able to go to sleep tonight with a smile on my face.

What I'm really over the moon about is that Ashley is actually opening up his wallet and making signings. I doubt that a winger was top priority, yet we get this signing. Makes me feel like there are more to come. Here's hoping!

im wondering wether he is starting to get twitchy about our chances of going up and knows he needs to spend to make sure it happens. Here's hoping.

Unfortunately our promotion isn't going to be decided on one player. Just like your manager wouldn't entertain the idea of signing Butt, Smith, Nolan, Taylor, Lovenkrands, Coloccini, Ameobi or Carroll, I doubt Routledge will be the straw that broke the camels back.

I know, that's not what I mean though, I meant let's reconvene in May and see how Routledge has done over a period of time, rather than whether he's been the signing that gets you promoted.

Even I'm not harsh enough on one player to expect him to be a one-man-promotion-machine.

O0

Incidentally, if MON signed Nolan or Smith even, I would not be even remotely surprised  :dave:

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

It's being reported that we got him for under £1 million, so i think it is a great signing, worth the gamble.

If Newcastle supporters were surprised about the Routledge signing, they will be even more shocked about the man who recommended the club to him.

Jenas famously regarded the club as a ‘goldfish bowl’ and left after struggling to cope with the attention placed on him – but it turns out he has delivered glowing references about the club.

“One of the big people that I know who has a Newcastle link is Jermaine Jenas and he couldn’t speak highly enough of the place,” Routledge said.

“He talked about it with the highest respect and said it was a great club and a brilliant place to play your football.

“Of course I know a bit about Newcastle United anyway, everyone who knows football knows about this club. I’m delighted to be getting the chance.”

I think this could also see Jonas & Enrique's performances improve even more. Teams will have to think twice about having 3-4 players around those two every game now we have a genuine pacy threat on the right hand side.

Having a threat on both sides is a major boost for us. Jonas might suddenly find he isn't being kicked to death by three blokes every time he gets the ball.

You'd hope so. It may be that theyre able to double up moreso because of our slow midfield than lack of right winger though. If we had someone who could attack the space left if one of them from the middle comes over, we're have been sorted a while ago. Its either that or they use wingers who can actually defend also.

If we had players who could knock nice passes across the pitch though, we'd be able to use a pacey right winger to stretch defences much more & creates gaps. Hopefully we will lets see what happens.

I think this could also see Jonas & Enrique's performances improve even more. Teams will have to think twice about having 3-4 players around those two every game now we have a genuine pacy threat on the right hand side.

I was thinking this.

Our outlet on the wings has always been the left. Jose, Jonas, all season. If we introduce a pacy threat on the right, we'll not only look more balanced, but the pressure will be taken off Jonas and he might excel a bit further. Here's to hoping anyway.

Just under a million for Routledge? Wow ...

The Times is going with £900K , elsewhere it is reported: "But flush with the £2million they made on the Routledge deal"

If Boro offered 1.5m, then the 900k figure has to be a tad optimistic, but who knows I suppose.

/that's the same price we paid for Kadar!

The Times is going with £900K , elsewhere it is reported: "But flush with the £2million they made on the Routledge deal"

Undisclose fee, i.e. nobody has a clue.

Aye but I reckon a few people know what the fee was.

Undisclose fee, i.e. nobody has a clue.

Aye but I reckon a few people know what the fee was.

Well somebody must, but I don't think the media in general know, hence the completely different reports.

Doesn't really matter anyway, we can be fairly sure that NUFC at the moment would only pay a relatively small fee.

It's being reported that we got him for under £1 million, so i think it is a great signing, worth the gamble.

I think that's the key. I have no doubt that he's not a top class player, hence brummie's view is bound to be more critical than ours. Hope no one expects the finished article here, what we've bought is a young player with pace for that money. We aren't going to get Luis Figo at that price so we should be patient.