Wayne Routledge signs 3 year deal with Swansea

clintdempsey

Ummm, hate to be a party pooper but Routledge is shit. He's a one in five player (bit like Harewood) where every now and again he'll have a great game, but more often than not he'll do nothing, be ball greedy and generally be a waste of space. Honestly though, hope he proves me wrong and at least it gives us a proper winger on the right, but would be very surprised if he sees out this three and a half year deal with us.

Here's hoping he proves me completely and utterly wrong mind...

Ummm, hate to be a party pooper but Routledge is shit. He's a one in five player (bit like Harewood) where every now and again he'll have a great game, but more often than not he'll do nothing, be ball greedy and generally be a waste of space. Honestly though, hope he proves me wrong and at least it gives us a proper winger on the right, but would be very surprised if he sees out this three and a half year deal with us.

It depends what your definition of "shit" is in all honesty. No one is daft enough to think we've signed the next Ronaldo, but just how many decent right wingers are out there in England at the moment? Milner and Bentley are probably considered among the best and they weren't short of their critics either IIRC.

Be interesting to hear Brummie's view on him other than:

Wayne Routledge is absolutely shite.

and

Same shit we said when we signed him.

'Promising young player, career back on track yada yad yada', but he was shite.

And his head is too big for his body.

He's a player who's lost his way a bit. He made that breakthrough when he was snapped up by Spurs, and I wonder if it went to his head and he stopped improving. Hopefully he'll see this as his chance to work hard and get back into the top level.

Guest MrSundlofer

Pleased to have him here. He is needed. We need space down the flank and hopefully he can build a partnership with Simpson down the right.

• The way I see it:

Positives:

He's a genuine right winger that will add balance to the side.

He's quick and has good feet.

May benafit Simpson in the long run.

It shows we're looking to spend and strengthen positions we're short in.

Potential for Guthrie to play in the middle.

Negatives:

Inconsistent end product.

Probably not good enough for the Premier League.

and

Better than what we have by all accounts and will hopefully make our team more balanced. An intelligent signing whether or not he is shite in Brummies eyes (and no disaster if he doesn't make it in the Premiership if we get up).

See no reason to put a downer on the signing before he has even played for us. Hope he does well. :thup:

he is not that quick over long distances from what ive seen. he's more a tricky player who is fast over the first 5-10 yards, quick feet etc. will be one of our fastest though. i don't think he's succeeded in the premiership due to not having the physical attributes - not much power, either in the challenge or in his shots, and while he is quick he doesn't have lennon/walcott-like pace. he looked good in spurts for Fulham, ie against us, and for Palace when he was wide in a midfield 5, having energetic players like Watson, Soares making up for his lack of defensive ability.

will be exciting to have two wingers who can beat players without breaking sweat though, will totally change the dynamics of our attack.

and

brummie always laid into Reo-Coker as well which I didn't think was 100% warranted. Maybe it takes relegation and spending 6ok a week on other teams cast-offs to appreciate players values with a level head.

Ummm, hate to be a party pooper but Routledge is s***. He's a one in five player (bit like Harewood) where every now and again he'll have a great game, but more often than not he'll do nothing, be ball greedy and generally be a waste of space. Honestly though, hope he proves me wrong and at least it gives us a proper winger on the right, but would be very surprised if he sees out this three and a half year deal with us.

It depends what your definition of "s***" is in all honesty. No one is daft enough to think we've signed the next Ronaldo, but just how many decent right wingers are out there in England at the moment? Milner and Bentley are probably considered among the best and they weren't short of their critics either IIRC.

Can see Ashley finally getting his man and Hughes taking over if we go up, then signing Bentley and Bellamy. Routledge will be decent if not pouting back up.

When Routledge went over to Villa his confidence was rock bottom and he was given no kind of assurances I wouldn't imagine. In fact I'm pretty sure he was coming off an injury at the time.

We are getting him at a great time. He has been flying this season and is back to playing regularly and with confidence. I love you Brummie but take a leap of a high one buddy! You ain't getting me down about this one. He'll be good and he's still a better winger than Milner so there.

:razz:

and

brummie always laid into Reo-Coker as well which I didn't think was 100% warranted. Maybe it takes relegation and spending 6ok a week on other teams cast-offs to appreciate players values with a level head.

I appreciate you all want him to do well, but honestly, trust me, he's fucking shite.

You think Milner's crosses hit the first man all the time, at least he tried to get a cross in, Routledge is useless, if he can't knock it past the defender and beat him for pace, he hasn't got a fucking clue.

What's more, he's got a dreadful attitude, slouches around doing nothing and hiding from the ball.

When Marlon signed for you, I was quite honest in saying I tohught he'd do well at that level. Routledge won't though. He's not good enough.

Sorry.

As for NRC, can't pass three yards, blissfully unaware of the game going on around him, runs into brick walls. Has the first touch of a rapist.

Routledge is worse, though.

Not sure how anyone can say he flopped at Villa. They have the best right wing coach in the world, Bobertson or someone, the man who (based on information provided in this forum) taught Garrincha how to dribble effectively, and is now working hard to turn Milner into the most feared right winger in the northern hemisphere (and has successfully done so, so much so that the Government has passed a ruling forcing Villa to play Milner in midfield in case his right wing awesomeness caused a nuclear fallout).

So quite clearly, Routledge was great at Villa but never got the chance to show it, and having been coached by the greatest winger coach of all time and a former playing legend on a par with Maradona himself, I find myself disagreeing vehemently with statements like "we know he's not the next C.Ronaldo".

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion I guess, but I'll reserve my judgement on him until I've seen him play 3 or 4 times.  Admittedly despite feeling upbeat about the transfer the only time I can recall seeing him was when QPR came here earlier in the season.

and

I appreciate you all want him to do well, but honestly, trust me, he's fucking shite.

You think Milner's crosses hit the first man all the time, at least he tried to get a cross in, Routledge is useless, if he can't knock it past the defender and beat him for pace, he hasn't got a fucking clue.

What's more, he's got a dreadful attitude, slouches around doing nothing and hiding from the ball.

When Marlon signed for you, I was quite honest in saying I tohught he'd do well at that level. Routledge won't though. He's not good enough.

Sorry.

As for NRC, can't pass three yards, blissfully unaware of the game going on around him, runs into brick walls. Has the first touch of a rapist.

Can he run fast?

and

Sorry.

Can he run fast?

Faster than the wind.

Not sure how anyone can say he flopped at Villa. They have the best right wing coach in the world, Bobertson or someone, the man who (based on information provided in this forum) taught Garrincha how to dribble effectively, and is now working hard to turn Milner into the most feared right winger in the northern hemisphere (and has successfully done so, so much so that the Government has passed a ruling forcing Villa to play Milner in midfield in case his right wing awesomeness caused a nuclear fallout).

Robertson's a great coach, but there's only so much turd polishing you can engage in.

Maybe Routledge didn't like the stench of 60 B&H a day, and therefore didn't bond with him or something.

Or maybe I'm wrong, and he's actually the reincarnation of Garrincha, but I wouldn't hold your breath.