Wayne Routledge signs 3 year deal with Swansea

clintdempsey

Guest Stephen927

If Smith grew his hair a bit, the Scousers wouldn't be able to tell the difference between him and Poulsen, ability wise.

He came on, I knew that first attempted cross would hit the first man and it did. I said "why the f*** can't he beat the first man!?" next cross, massively overhit :lol:

If he could cross he would be brilliant, he didn't seem to have much trouble last season. Are premiership footballers an inch or two taller than championship players?

I remember a couple of instances where he delivered at least one perfect ball and there was noone on the end of it.

His crossing isn't the best, but it works both ways as well. A good cross needs a crosser and a receiver.

if there's no one there then why cross it? The better wingers either go for goal themselves or hold it up until someone arrives. Routledge is like Guthrie and Loven for me....this club is probably a bit too high profile for them.

Agreed. We need a strong first team and once ben arfa is back (up top with Carroll please) we have a pretty decent first team. If we can get Bentley in and improve on the likes of bit part below average squad players like Smith, Routledge, Guthrie, loven, best then it will improve us no end.

As at the moment heaven forbid we have an injury to key players such as Tiote or Barton.... or at the moment even Jonas or Nolan we do not have any really decent back up for them.

If Hogson came in with a decent offer for Routledge then as long as we 100% have bentley coming in i woulden't mind us selling Routledge. Routledge is a below average premier league player. Very fast but can't cross which is quite important for a winger and lacks the intellingence and quality to know what to do once he has beaten a player.

We then have Barton and Bentley battling out for Right wing. Barton or possibly Bentley can also cover Nolan if he's out too.

Got to admit I still have time for Routledge, I think he was dropped too early and maybe it hit his confidence a bit.

If he can continue to go past players like he did against Wigan he'll produce his fair share of assists IMO.

As was mentioned above though, he needs to learn to get his head up when he beats a man, it's no use burning it down the wing, beating the fuill back and then having zero end product. If he gets the end product right it'd be the difference in being an excellent player and a good player.

He's had the same problem throughout his career though, he's running out of time to correct it now.

Ive been slating WR big time in past few weeks....however i watch an AC highlights vid at weekend, and i noticed WR put in some mint balls acrross the box last season for AC to score, i mean balls put on a plate for him to score.  I had forgotten he had that ability at all.

SO it must be a confidence thing.  Yeah i dont think the lad is the brightest penny in the pound, but maybe hes worth retaining as a squad player.....could have a role as a speedy sub to harry defenses.

If hes on low wage, may as well keep, assuming we get in a proper player to start games.ie bentley or someone.

Ive been slating WR big time in past few weeks....however i watch an AC highlights vid at weekend, and i noticed WR put in some mint balls acrross the box last season for AC to score, i mean balls put on a plate for him to score.  I had forgotten he had that ability at all.

SO it must be a confidence thing.  Yeah i dont think the lad is the brightest penny in the pound, but maybe hes worth retaining as a squad player.....could have a role as a speedy sub to harry defenses.

If hes on low wage, may as well keep, assuming we get in a proper player to start games.ie bentley or someone.

Long been my opinion. For my money he was our best player in the second half of last season, he was so important to the tonkings we dished out. I think his struggles at this level are mental rather than entirely down to a lack of ability.

Long been my opinion. For my money he was our best player in the second half of last season, he was so important to the tonkings we dished out. I think his struggles at this level are mental rather than entirely down to a lack of ability.

One thing that a few sensible managers have said about this club is that you need players who are big enough to wear the shirt. Pardew also said the same thing when talking about Keane and Bentley and it's something I have always agreed with. For players with confidence issues I don't think this is the right club, and it looks to me like that is starting to apply to Routledge.

He's played alright recently, didn't think he should've been brought off against City as he was all over Kolarov and he had a decent game against Wigan. I'd keep him as a squad player but wouldn't fancy him as a first team regular.

Guest GeordieBatistuta

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2011/01/05/liverpool-plan-8m-january-bid-for-newcastle-united-winger/?

would take that in an instant. not sure its true right enough.

I can't understand this at all. I'd take half that for him and if Routledge is the kind of player that Liverpool are after, then it highlights a sorry state of their demise. Saying that, i've been relatively impressed with his appearances and cameos since December, and in the Championship, he used to give some balls to Carroll on a plate.

Guest johnson293

Sorry, but £8m for Routledge (if true) and I'd snap their hands off!!

Was the fee we paid for him ever confirmed?