Wayne Routledge signs 3 year deal with Swansea

clintdempsey

I was happy with him today. He wasn't brought on to win us the game IMO, just to retain the ball and give them something to think about up their end of the pitch. He did that.

Yea, that's why he is a substitute.

I'm not saying that I was happy with his end product btw, just that by that point in the game I wasn't particularly arsed. He was brought on to do a job and to me he did the job satisfactorily.

actually we lost a bit of impetus for the first 9-10 mins after he came on, but after that we adjusted as a side and he was pivotal in keeping us moving forward. obviously the final ball was crap but at that point it was most important to keep pressure on wigan.

Of course his crossing was sub-par, but he caused Wigan quite a few problems on the right.  Gave them something to think about.  Certainly kept them form trying to attack us at will.  Routledge overall did quite well, and was instrumental to us holding onto the lead somewhat easily, even against an absolutely abysmal side.

He came on, I knew that first attempted cross would hit the first man and it did. I said "why the fuck can't he beat the first man!?" next cross, massively overhit :lol:

If he could cross he would be brilliant, he didn't seem to have much trouble last season. Are premiership footballers an inch or two taller than championship players?

He came on, I knew that first attempted cross would hit the first man and it did. I said "why the f*** can't he beat the first man!?" next cross, massively overhit :lol:

If he could cross he would be brilliant, he didn't seem to have much trouble last season. Are premiership footballers an inch or two taller than championship players?

Defenders probably on average are a bit taller tbh. :lol:

He's nearly a very good winger but like a few of our players you're never sure what you're going to get on the day. I thought he did well in the Chelsea game against one of the best left backs in the world. He actually stuck in some decent crosses as well. But he hasn't done much when he's been on the pitch since then. Yesterday he had their (admittedly piss poor) left back on toast, but the end product was strangely lacking.

He did that full-back about 4 times with the same trick!  I thought he was good when he came on.  No end product but with Shola tiring and eventually subbed hitting long balls was gonna be a waste of time so we needed a wide outlet and he provided that.  Helped keep us up their end of the park and out of trouble.

Guest Stephen927

Theres a lot of wingers in the same mould as Routledge, small and pacey, who don't seem to be able to put in enough good crosses on a consistent basis. It is a tricky thing to master, and your cross is only as good as the strikers movement half the time. Aaron Lennon worked a lot of great positions in for himself but his final ball against Fulham was missing. Just before his injury though he had looked like his crossing had improved ten fold, no reason Routledge can't improve in that area.

Jonas is a lost cause for his crossing ability.

I don't understand when he beats his man and he has all the space in the world he decides to put a cross in, it's like there is an invisible wall stopping him running into the box and playing a low ball in front of the keeper, it causes far more confusion in the box and best has a far bigger chance of scuffing one in.

He came on, I knew that first attempted cross would hit the first man and it did. I said "why the f*** can't he beat the first man!?" next cross, massively overhit :lol:

I remember a couple of instances where he delivered at least one perfect ball and there was noone on the end of it.

His crossing isn't the best, but it works both ways as well. A good cross needs a crosser and a receiver.

He came on, I knew that first attempted cross would hit the first man and it did. I said "why the fuck can't he beat the first man!?" next cross, massively overhit :lol:

His crosses seem to be better when he sprays the ball with his laces, rather than when he tries to whip them in.

Plus he had more time in the Championship to be able to do that too.

I remember a couple of instances where he delivered at least one perfect ball and there was noone on the end of it.

His crossing isn't the best, but it works both ways as well. A good cross needs a crosser and a receiver.

if there's no one there then why cross it? The better wingers either go for goal themselves or hold it up until someone arrives. Routledge is like Guthrie and Loven for me....this club is probably a bit too high profile for them.

Guest neesy111

Metro says hodgeson wants him after being priced out of a move for n'zogbia.

Just read that, couldn't stop laughing.

Metro says hodgeson wants him after being priced out of a move for n'zogbia.

in theory i'd be happy with that. i dont rate him much but at the same time i dont want to lose a good squad player for the sake of cash that wont be put back into transfers.