Newcastle United 2 - 0 Crystal Palace - 27/01/10 - Post match reaction from p19

Dave

The f*** cares if you win 1-0s the rest of the season all ogs after rebounding the keepers arse after a fluky Nolan kick, as long as you get promoted.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME, I'M A BARÇA FAN FFS.  :angry:

You're on the brink, insanity will follow.

For the record, we actually won this match 2-0. We need to curtail the whinging a bit, aye we weren't that good, but we're still winning. Smile. :)

after a win is probably the best time to whine and moan imo.

needed the win today after poor results recently. very impressed with the defence today, we did well keeping enough men back to cope with palace's counter attack, while at the same time allowing enough men the freedom to go an attack to be threatening , baring opposition set pieces, where we continue to get 11 men behind the ball.

For the record, we actually won this match 2-0. We need to curtail the whinging a bit, aye we weren't that good, but we're still winning. Smile. :)

We havent won in the league for over a month and have been shite since boxing day, possible exception of plymouth.

The f*** cares if you win 1-0s the rest of the season all ogs after rebounding the keepers arse after a fluky Nolan kick, as long as you get promoted.

Once you stop typing EPL you will be fully assimilated to NUFC.

You're on the brink, insanity will follow.

We're waiting for you with open arms VI.... step into the light...  :undecided:

Hughton was absolutely clueless tonight btw. The last person I would have brought on is Pancrate when Jose went off injured. And when Routledge came on, why the hell did he play off Carroll? It doesn't make any sense - he's a winger for goodness sake.

Clueless? I wasn't there tonight but almost all the ratings on here said he did surprisingly ok at rb. Implausible I know, but maybe Hughton knows more about the player than us.  O0

Hughton was absolutely clueless tonight btw. The last person I would have brought on is Pancrate when Jose went off injured. And when Routledge came on, why the hell did he play off Carroll? It doesn't make any sense - he's a winger for goodness sake.

Clueless? I wasn't there tonight but almost all the ratings on here said he did surprisingly ok at rb. Implausible I know, but maybe Hughton knows more about the player than us.  O0

Aye, me included. But it wasn't half a bizarre decision. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but there's no way Hughton had it - he didn't know Pancrate would play decently there, training or not. This is the bloke that refuses to play Guthrie in his best position man.

Pancrate still gives the ball away far too much IMO.

One time that sticks out greatly was he came bombing over to Guthrie wanting the corner short.  Guthrie duly obliged and gave it to him, to which he proceeded to give it straight back to Guthrie.  It was a 3 yard pass, which he made weak as fuck, it was intercepted and hoofed out for a throw in.

Aye, me included. But it wasn't half a bizarre decision. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but there's no way Hughton had it - he didn't know Pancrate would play decently there, training or not. This is the bloke that refuses to play Guthrie in his best position man.

Hope to god Jose makes a miraculous recovery, but otherwise it'll be interesting to see how we line up on Saturday.

Harper - 7 - Dependable, another great save.

Kadar - 7 - Bit shaky at RB, much better at LB.

Coloccini - 7 Solid, dependable.

Williamson - 8 - Colossus in the air.  Great debut.  Didn't put a foot wrong.

Enrique - 6 - Didn't really get time to shine.

Guthrie - 7 - Strong performance.  Tidy, and industrious.

Nolan - 4 - Non existant.

Smith - 6.5 - Good.  Got a bit of a physical beating from their lot.

Gutierrez - 6 - Soldiered on despite clearly not being 100%.  Did okay.

Lovenkrands - 6.5 - Some neat and tidy runs.  Unlucky not to get a goal.

Carroll - 6 - At times showed why he is a talent with nice turns and strength.  Seems to lack vision and sense.

Pancrate - 7 - I was impressed, gotta say.  I groaned when he came on, but he played an incredibly sensible game and used his pace and strength to good effect defensively.  Gotta say, Hughton made the right call here with what he had on the bench.

Routledge - 7.5 - I was again impressed.  Quick, spritely, but he also seems to have the vision and sense Carroll lacks.  He spots runs the others don't even look for.

Ranger - 7 - A very well taken goal, and the usual above-average hold-up play we've come to expect.

Hughton - 7.5 - Depleted squad, good selection.  We really need a stronger CM though in order to stop teams overrunning us.  However, steps in the right direction with the new CB and RW.

Harper - 7 - Dependable, another great save.

Kadar - 7 - Bit shaky at RB, much better at LB.

Coloccini - 7 Solid, dependable.

Williamson - 8 - Colossus in the air.  Great debut.  Didn't put a foot wrong.

Enrique - 6 - Didn't really get time to shine.

Guthrie - 7 - Strong performance.  Tidy, and industrious.

Nolan - 4 - Non existant.

Smith - 6.5 - Good.  Got a bit of a physical beating from their lot.

Gutierrez - 6 - Soldiered on despite clearly not being 100%.  Did okay.

Lovenkrands - 6.5 - Some neat and tidy runs.   Unlucky not to get a goal.

Carroll - 6 - At times showed why he is a talent with nice turns and strength.  Seems to lack vision and sense.

Pancrate - 7 - I was impressed, gotta say.  I groaned when he came on, but he played an incredibly sensible game and used his pace and strength to good effect defensively.  Gotta say, Hughton made the right call here with what he had on the bench.

Routledge - 7.5 - I was again impressed.  Quick, spritely, but he also seems to have the vision and sense Carroll lacks.  He spots runs the others don't even look for.

Ranger - 7 - A very well taken goal, and the usual above-average hold-up play we've come to expect.

Hughton - 7.5 - Depleted squad, good selection.  We really need a stronger CM though in order to stop teams overrunning us.  However, steps in the right direction with the new CB and RW.

Pretty positive on the new lads at least, and even Pancrate (and Hughton by extension). Good stuff.

/Thanks for the reports eveyone. :clap2:

Dull, dull and more dull - but a very good, and crucial, result. And in spite of a pants performance, we were extremely comfortable and i didn't for a second think we'd come away with anything but a win. Such is the trend of our home performances.

Honestly, there's a script for our home games. It's a wonder we haven't been sussed. We either come out the block at a million miles an hour and score... or we come out at a million miles an hour, don't score, then punt it long all game. They are the two typicalities of our home games, and tonight was a bit of a mixture of the two. Palace played it quite cautiously and shot themselves in the foot, but with all the injuries and re-jigs, we really did adopt an "Oh shit, what do we do? Let's just punt it long..." attitude.

Back four all handled things very well. Kadar's clearly very versatile and has the odd nice touch here and there - but, importantly, can defend ugly when he needs to. Colo continued in the same vain as always, and Williamson looked partial to the odd crunching tackle. Promising debut from him. And i've got to say, with Pancrate in a more withdrawn/deeper position, he was actually quite effective. He's a horrific footballer but he's got pace and strength, and given how he's naturally a winger, it was in his mindset to drift out and provide a bit of width, which is something Simpson doesn't do enough.

Routledge looked mint. It's got to be him, Jonas, Guthrie and Smith - but we all know it won't be. I honestly don't know how Kevin Nolan gets games for us at home. He's scored three times at SJP this season, and given how his goals are the only thing keeping him in the team, it's time he had a rest.

Carroll was toss. Lovenkrands never in it. Ranger was :thup:. He sat near me in Nando's earlier in the evening munching on a spicy chicken; who'd have thought it would be the ideal preparation?

Rubbish game, good result.

CP fans were loud in O'Neills before the game and while walking up to the ground passed Raffertys. Wouldn't have been surprised if 1 or 2 got into trouble; singing in a bar beforehand shouldn't bother anyone but bigging it up on the way to the ground  isn't the greatest of ideas.

a bit off beat, but has anyone else noticed that woman who plays the guitar outside Barker and Stonehouse has proper piled the beef on recently?

Has she ate her one time singing guitar playing partner?

:lol:  probably.  Coupled with a few cheeky steak sandwiches from 'Quality Catering'.

Looked up the duff to me like.

Dull, dull and more dull - but a very good, and crucial, result. And in spite of a pants performance, we were extremely comfortable and i didn't for a second think we'd come away with anything but a win. Such is the trend of our home performances.

Honestly, there's a script for our home games. It's a wonder we haven't been sussed. We either come out the block at a million miles an hour and score... or we come out at a million miles an hour, don't score, then punt it long all game. They are the two typicalities of our home games, and tonight was a bit of a mixture of the two. Palace played it quite cautiously and shot themselves in the foot, but with all the injuries and re-jigs, we really did adopt an "Oh shit, what do we do? Let's just punt it long..." attitude.

Back four all handled things very well. Kadar's clearly very versatile and has the odd nice touch here and there - but, importantly, can defend ugly when he needs to. Colo continued in the same vain as always, and Williamson looked partial to the odd crunching tackle. Promising debut from him. And i've got to say, with Pancrate in a more withdrawn/deeper position, he was actually quite effective. He's a horrific footballer but he's got pace and strength, and given how he's naturally a winger, it was in his mindset to drift out and provide a bit of width, which is something Simpson doesn't do enough.

Routledge looked mint. It's got to be him, Jonas, Guthrie and Smith - but we all know it won't be. I honestly don't know how Kevin Nolan gets games for us at home. He's scored three times at SJP this season, and given how his goals are the only thing keeping him in the team, it's time he had a rest.

Carroll was toss. Lovenkrands never in it. Ranger was :thup:. He sat near me in Nando's earlier in the evening munching on a spicy chicken; who'd have thought it would be the ideal preparation?

I protest strongly against Yorkie's biased agenda against Nolan. Quit banging on about our tubby scouse hero mate. It's boring.  :razz:

Could only listen to the game due to the HUGE distance between the Hague and St James' park. That said it did sound quite nail biting and that second goal could not have taken longer to arrive.

I have to admit that I agree with Yorkie and McQuillan -- when Pancrate came on I was feeling a bit quesy, he's a quick and strong but he has the ability to combine the sublime with the downright horrible in the space of 5 seconds. Not quite sure how he does it. He did alright though, was never going to be an excellent right back but he defended well and had the pace to get out of trouble when he needed too.

As for our central midfield Nolan and Smith out in a decent shift by the sound of things. I would prefer to see Guthrie in the centre but if injuries required him out on the left at the end of the game then so be it.

We really need some more bodies in the squad!

Probably been mentioned, but did anyone else see that charver on level 7 at half-time who was pretty much comatosed? He was led out the concourse by two coppers, god knows what he was on,  looked completely out of it, couldn't stand up.

Guest toonlass

Probably been mentioned, but did anyone else see that charver on level 7 at half-time who was pretty much comatosed? He was led out the concourse by two coppers, god knows what he was on,  looked completely out of it.

I think Jill mentioned it. Did anyone else notice the Palace fans who were dressed as gauchos in sombreros and the whole shebang,  :lol: