If everyone was fit, who would be your starting two up front?

Guest michaelfoster
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As above. The system revolves around a player who has failed to deliver all season.

Bollocks. If it wasnt for Shola's injury, Carroll wouldn't have played that role as many times as he has. Yes he's failed to deliver consistently but it's not a system revolving around HIM. Not his fault he gets played by himself in a 451.

No matter which combination of strikers play, they are all very limited and only Lovenkrands would be worth including in a Premier League squad.

Come on, Carroll must get passed to more than anyone else in the team. And like VI says, we play plenty of high balls forward and get crosses into the box. Those conditions are more suited to him than any other of our forwards.

Come on, Carroll must get passed to more than anyone else in the team. And like VI says, we play plenty of high balls forward and get crosses into the box. Those conditions are more suited to him than any other of our forwards.

Not disagreeing with you there. I'm just saying that if Shola hadn;t have been injured, he would've played more than Carroll. We only play this way really when Carroll is up front on his own. It's not like he sets the tactics or gameplan. The fault lies with Hughton and a midfield who can't play football.

In account of the 4 (FOUR!!!) games I have seen this season it looks like you should put Carroll in there given all the crosses and high balls that you play... somebody has to chase them and the guy looked good at doing that at least. Then either Loven or Ameobi as the goalscoring forward. Not sure how Lovenkrands and Ameobi would complement each other as a pair. Again, it's only four games.

do you not think we play those crosses and high balls (mostly high balls) because he is playing ?

I don't think it's Carroll's fault. I think that what forces you to punt and use high balls is the fact you are so, so slow at taking the ball forward, and when there your mobility is awful (and I mean not only player mobility but ball mobility, passing, first touch... to take the defence out of position and force openings). In all the games I have seen the general tonic is that their defence is allowed to sit pretty comfortably, clouding your attacking players and forcing them to punt the ball to see if luck strikes and Carroll can bring it down.

Do you think you have the players for doing otherwise? (honest question). Guthrie hasn't impressed me to be honest, but maybe Routledge and Jonas together can bring some of that mobility. Maybe.

Guest firetotheworks

Its not his fault, but Hughton/the players do aim for his head endlessly when hes on the pitch & it isnt efficient with our midfield not supporting.

Except that it is to an extent. If you watch him off the ball, he's usually on the half way line patting his chest indicating that's where he wants it.

I picked Ameobi & Lovenkrands. All of our strikers seem to have erratic form. They blow hot one game then cold the next. Have we had a pair given a consistent run together yet? With injuries and the 'one striker plus Nolan upfront away from home' it doesn't look like we'll have a pair together long enough for them to get an understanding as to what runs the other striker will make.

Guest firetotheworks

The only ones that I know of are the usual running and overlaps between Jonas and Jose, the connection that Jonas and Loven had in that one match when we played 442, other than that there are no partnerships that Ive seen working off each other.

Key being "2" upfront  & starters.

CH has changed strikers to often for my liking, he has dropped strikers who have scored in the previous game ffs. The 451 away from home has done AC no favours at all as the season has went on with Nolan getting slower & the rest of the midfield not having speed or offering a known goal threat or both in socm cases.

AC has been a great help defensivley all season & out of all the strikers he has the most assits. So he does have a value to the team.  

You have to go with Shola as top goalscorer & Loven as he offers a bit of pace (he is not really that quick) & goal threat.

Need to see more of Nile running with the ball towards goal before I move him up from 4th choice striker.

At this precise moment in time there is not much between them.

If i had to pick two I'd go Ranger plus Carroll. Play Shola if either prove after a period of games not up to it.

Looking ahead Ranger and Carroll both have the potential to improve given the oppourtunity. With Mcloven and Shola what you see is what you get.

We really need a couple of really good strikers especially if Ranger and Carroll do not improve. 

Shola and Mcloven will definately not be good enough in the future.

So many shola votes and so few for Carroll?

Carroll wins almost every single header. Could be our Heskey with loven, guthrie, nolan and routledge chasing the flickons.

Carrokrands comes good. Shola shouldn't get a look in.

Guest schmuck

I would start Lovenkrands and Carroll in the next game, but long-term it'll always be Lovenkrands +1 for me. Whoever else is in form.

Aye, I think most of us can agree that Loven should be first choice, all of the others have some pretty big cons and with Shola being the oldest (and highest earner of the bunch?) I'd be looking to move him on if we were to go up and spend a big part of our budget bring in someone who could work well with Lovenkrands, saying that in this league all things being equal I'd probably  be looking to put him in as first choice alongside PL for the rest of the season. Shola's a playground footballer and if he's better than a defender which he is most of the time in this division he'll show it with goals, it's when he needs to show some nous that he struggles.

If all 5 are available, you play the pair according to the opposition. If they have a slow backline, I would probably go for pace and power with either Carroll or Best with Loven krands.

If it is going to be a battle against a relatively tall and skillful defence, then Shola and Carroll.

We should think about loaning Nile Ranger out to a lower league CC or upper League 1 club for the remaining of the season on the condition he starts most games and can be recalled if needed. Of course, he cant play against us.

I'd still go for Lovenkrands and Ranger, even after last night.  I think Lovenkrands is the best we've got at the minute and I think Ranger has more potential than the others.  Carroll did well to get his goals but he's also capable of producing as little as he did the week before, Shola is also just as capable of being bad as being good.  Best is probably the weakest in his position of all the Hughton signings.

If they're scoring they should stay in the team. I'd start Carroll and Lovenkrands for the next game. Our strikers are scoring and then getting dropped the next game. That doesn't make sense. Hopefully with Jonas on the left and Routledge on the right it will be 4-4-2 from now on with two strikers up front home and away.

Best is probably the weakest in his position of all the Hughton signings.

Based on one game (and not even the full 90 minutes).