Twitter

Thespence

Ollie Holt from the Mirror still banging on about there not being enough black managers.

It is the case that black managers are not well represented enough, but the Rooney Rule is stupid. Black managers will prove themselves in the coming years, it'll be harder than if they were not black, but the rule is ridiculous in the context of the development of English football (it is slow, but it gets there, racially, basically).

Don't the LMA represent black managers just like they would white managers?

Represented in terms of spread of managers to clubs, sorted by ethnicity. In those terms, they are poorly represented, relative to the population of black footballers.

Guest Haris Vuckic

:thup:

You don't really hear of many black managers actually applying for jobs or being in contention for them either.

Perhaps it's lack of role models, who knows?

Forcing clubs to have to interview at least one 'ethnic' manager isn't going to solve anything. Black players doing their coaching badges, pitching up in lower leagues, proving themselves beyond doubt, then rising, will inspire appropriately. It'll take longer than their talent justifies, but they'll get there and it's the most organic way for them to be properly recognised and accepted within English football. They shouldn't be forced in, in the same way that they shouldn't be forced out based on prejudices. Positive discrimination is bullshit though, especially when we HAVE the lower leagues as a breeding ground, as opposed to NFL where it's like a closed-shop franchise with less of a meritocratic (as if English Football could be described as such...) way of coach progression.

Guest Haris Vuckic

At the same time I think 'the race card' after a failed project breeds laziness within the journalists & crowd.

'Blackburn are proper git racist for sacking Ince' etc etc!

Guest Haris Vuckic

It's the same as any kind of ''positive discrimination'' it's totally illogical.

Because this person is a minority they must be represented in the board room blah blah, companies must interview one tortoise for the role of chief robot,  despite how good they are.

If a black manager was good enough and applied he'd get the job. There may be a few racist chairman bit I doubt it's that widespread.

Most managers in England are British, and most come from a playing background in Britain (probably from the early 90s/80s). Now I may be wrong like, but i'm pretty sure the very vast majority of English players in those times were white.

I don't even know why there has to be a deal made out of it tbh, when I heard Ince was a manager it never crossed my mind "Oh my, He's the first British black manager!!!", I didn't even realise until some huge unecessary story was made out of it.

Forcing clubs to have to interview at least one 'ethnic' manager isn't going to solve anything. Black players doing their coaching badges, pitching up in lower leagues, proving themselves beyond doubt, then rising, will inspire appropriately. It'll take longer than their talent justifies, but they'll get there and it's the most organic way for them to be properly recognised and accepted within English football. They shouldn't be forced in, in the same way that they shouldn't be forced out based on prejudices. Positive discrimination is bullshit though, especially when we HAVE the lower leagues as a breeding ground, as opposed to NFL where it's like a closed-shop franchise with less of a meritocratic (as if English Football could be described as such...) way of coach progression.

:thup:

If a black manager was good enough and applied he'd get the job. There may be a few racist chairman bit I doubt it's that widespread.

Most managers in England are British, and most come from a playing background in Britain (probably from the early 90s/80s). Now I may be wrong like, but i'm pretty sure the very vast majority of English players in those times were white.

I don't even know why there has to be a deal made out of it tbh, when I heard Ince was a manager it never crossed my mind "Oh my, He's the first British black manager!!!", I didn't even realise until some huge unecessary story was made out of it.

Agreed, if there were a load of racist chairman (and I know this is xenophobia but there doesn't seem to be much of a line when people are that ignorant) would we have as many French, Portugese, Spanish, Dutch etc.. managers?

We must have the 'best' record in the whole country for this btw, having had 2 black managers.  What GG's saying about this needing to begin at lower levels is completely true, it's about those clubs considering black managers but also about black pros being interested in coaching and management in the first place.

Probably much easier to just start off in another country, particularly the US, where it will definitely be a lot easier. Especially as an ex-player or someone with experience in the game in a European league. Will get far more respect I would imagine. Far more scope for learning more and developing quicker too. Check out Emenalo of Chelsea's background as an example.

There's clearly a problem, for whatever reason, with not enough black players getting into coaching roles from where they can develop.

Why is it a problem?

You have to wonder why it's even being brought up as an issue. Has someone complained they aren't getting a break? I always assumed not many black players looked on coaching as a career after football.

There's clearly a problem, for whatever reason, with not enough black players getting into coaching roles from where they can develop.

Why is it a problem?

You have to wonder why it's even being brought up as an issue. Has someone complained they aren't getting a break? I always assumed not many black players looked on coaching as a career after football.

When 25% of the playing workforce is Black and around 1% of the coaching workforce is Black there will always be an issue. It is definitely a combination of all the factors listed above and it should theoretically get better with time, but for now it cannot be written off and should be looked upon as something to address in the British game. Similarly, the FA should be doing everything possible to promote the game in the UK's vast Asian and Arab communities as they are underrepresented at all levels (except ownership).

Guest icemanblue
Ruth_TheSats u will be cumming in your pants u dirty bitch with excitment lol xx wats happend:)

From everyone's favourite weirdo. Lass appears to be 16. :lol: