Anyone else still unhappy that Shearer isn't our Manager?

QBG

Unfair to judge Shearer by the mess that was left by others

We may have got the start we desperately needed due to Shearers work at the end of the season, not Hughton's. Who knows ?

But that would be massively unfair to Hughton. Who knows what would have happened if Shearer had been at the helm at the start of the season ?

All hypothetical

Far too early to write off Shearer on the basis of 8 games but for me he made two crucial mistakes:

1) Was too quick to brag to the media about the changes he'd made behind the scenes and enjoyed the limelight. I always wonder if the lacklustre performances at the end of the season were down to players just not playing for him.

2) He took himself out of the running for the job by making demands that Ashley wasn't prepared to meet. You need a far better CV before you can start setting tough conditions in this game.

True, I think he was just trying to endear himself to the fans and/or he just couldn't help saying what (as a fan) he thought needed to be said.

I can't for the life of me understand why Pedro isn't in there working with them. Probably the most intelligent player i've ever seen in b&w, he must have a galaxy of knowledge to impart.

Indeed, Pedro would be ideal.

I can't for the life of me understand why Pedro isn't in there working with them. Probably the most intelligent player i've ever seen in b&w, he must have a galaxy of knowledge to impart.

Don't know about his coaching and communication skills though... just because he's got twinkle toes doesn't mean he can teach others.

I know he worked/works with the kids, but from what I heard he was a bit of a little Hitler with them. Allegedly, my lawyers have asked me to point out.

Don't know about his coaching and communication skills though... just because he's got twinkle toes doesn't mean he can teach others.

I know he worked/works with the kids, but from what I heard he was a bit of a little Hitler with them. Allegedly, my lawyers have asked me to point out.

t

Worked wonders with the youh setup at Boro, was a disgrace it took us so long to get him here. We are not talking full time coach here, he can still work with the kids as he does, just a few hours a week with our strikers.

Far too early to write off Shearer on the basis of 8 games but for me he made two crucial mistakes:

1) Was too quick to brag to the media about the changes he'd made behind the scenes and enjoyed the limelight. I always wonder if the lacklustre performances at the end of the season were down to players just not playing for him.

2) He took himself out of the running for the job by making demands that Ashley wasn't prepared to meet. You need a far better CV before you can start setting tough conditions in this game.

True, I think he was just trying to endear himself to the fans and/or he just couldn't help saying what (as a fan) he thought needed to be said.

That's a cardinal rule as a manager though, to back your team and not tell the world how weak you are in certain departments, even if it's obvious. It might make fans and MOTD viewers happy but it didn't really get a great response from his players.

That's a cardinal rule as a manager though, to back your team and not tell the world how weak you are in certain departments, even if it's obvious. It might make fans and MOTD viewers happy but it didn't really get a great response from his players.

Yeah, I agree. As much as fans don't like to admit it, a big part of being a manager is lying to the press and the public.

Guest firetotheworks

No harm in trying, but tbh what made Pedro so amazing was something that I don't think can be taught.

Shearer was a brilliant player and is a good man. However, there has never been ANY indication that he is even a decent manager. Pele wasn't a manager and Maradona isn't a good one thus far. These players are both superior to Shearer. I'm unhappy that we don't have a high quality manager right now, but I have no problem with a person with no experience not being given the job.

Would have Lee Clark over Shearer. He's more of a fan than Shearer is on top of being an established manager and tactician

going to have to explain that fan comment please.

Shearer wouldnt go and play for Sunderland and openly express how much he hates it.

And Clarky has been managing for years: He was coaching the likes of Walker central boys when he was still playing for us, he was then reserve team coach for us, before being Roeders assistant at Noriwch and now manager of Huddersfield doing very well.

You may scorn at the Walker boys and reserve team roles but invaluable man management and tactical experience.

Not saying he should be manager now, but can't see how Shearer would in any way be a better choice.

I'm unhappy. Think that although he has a bit to learn he was starting to get the club in order. I think Hughton is playing Butt as he's too scared to drop him - you wouldn't have got that with Shearer.

Hughton has got lucky in that the players have pulled together and shown some spirit...he does have something to do with that but ultimately he's limited and I'm starting to worry about a lot of his decisions.

Shearer played Butt.

So did Keegan.

So did Roeder.

So did Allardyce and..

Don't think that's fair to Roeder, Keegan and even Allardyce. Under Roeder many fans wanted Parker to get dropped and Butt to play alongside Emre because Butt was DM and Parker was also going offensive which didn't suit Emre's game.

Under Allardyce Butt was also ok iirc.

Under Keegan we needed Butt because we played that 4-3-3 formation in which Butt was quite important in my opinion. And also we played well under Keegan as a team, so even if Butt played poorly, who cares?

But under Shearer, Butt was extremely poor and the whole team was as well. Well, Butt was poor the majority of the season but I didn't expect him to get dropped by Kinnear nor by Hughton, but I did expected if from Shearer tbh. 

He won 1 game out of 8, and we failed to score in 6 of those games. If his name wasn't Alan Shearer, this thread would not exist.

This is basically the problem - although I wouldn't write him off based on such a short spell in charge, we've got no reason at all to think he'll be any good.

He cares about the club obviously, that's in his favour.