Race for the Number 9

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Quotes this week from Best and Hughton suggest that he's issued a challenge to his strikers to prove that you are worthy of the Number 9 shirt. It is a carrot you can only use once though, so chances are one of the current crop of strikers will be wearing that number next season, so who will get it?

Guest sicko2ndbest

If we reach the premiership we need a new striker of genuine premiership class. We have 3 who could prove to be that (Best Carroll and Loven) but they have a lot to prove still.

I think the 9 will be kept open as a selling point in the summer

New signing for me. Lovenkrands isn't a Number 9 striker anyway. I would imagine Carroll and Shola would love to have it but Shola has proved enough that he isn't a Premier League class striker and Carroll is it not yet (if he ever will be)

Ranger is too young and I won't make a judgement on Best as I haven't seen him yet.

New signing.

None of the current lot are really good enough, although Carroll in particular could earn it.

Even if one of them got the number 9 they would need a new partner anyway because we are in desperate need of at least one top class striker.

Like Hughton said, the number 9 carries (rightly or wrongly) a lot of expectation. I can't see us being able to attract any player who people will think worthy of the shirt. Someone earning the right to wear it is probably the right way to go. I see Routledge has the number 10 shirt which used to be for a striker. The numbers don't seem to mean as much as they used to. Do any other clubs still hold certain number shirts in such high regard?

Easily more than just a number, think it pretty much engrained into every Geordie conscious that the N9 means more than a squad number.

That's how it was passed down to me, and am sure the tradition will continue.

Right now none of the players are proven goalscorers and don't deserve the shirt. Guess it would mean most to Carroll, if he gets another 10 from now till the end of the season CH should reward him with it. Would be a nice carrot for any young player, Ranger & Best included.

Easily more than just a number, think it pretty much engrained into every Geordie conscious that the N9 means more than a squad number.

Right now none of the players are proven goalscorers and don't deserve the shirt. Guess it would mean most to Carroll, if he gets another 10 from now till the end of the season CH should reward him with it. Would be a nice carrot for any young player, Ranger & Best included.

:snod:

Good way to sum it up, agree with you.

Guest jonlane86

Like Hughton said, the number 9 carries (rightly or wrongly) a lot of expectation. I can't see us being able to attract any player who people will think worthy of the shirt. Someone earning the right to wear it is probably the right way to go. I see Routledge has the number 10 shirt which used to be for a striker. The numbers don't seem to mean as much as they used to. Do any other clubs still hold certain number shirts in such high regard?

No but I think they should.  I cringe when I see all these Italian clubs with ridiculous NFL style squad numbers, your 1-11 shirts should be your number 1 choices for each position as such (and yes I know I'm assuming a 4-4-2):

1 - GK

2 - RB

3 - LB

4 - DM

5 - CB

6 - CB

7 - RM

8 - AM

9 - CF

10 - CF

11 - LM

Personally I agree with the move of not using the number 9 atm, I wasn't overly chuffed when Oba Martins was given the shirt.

Thought it was a good move to give to someone straight after Shearer retired. Glad they did. Yes the number does have a somewhat heightened meaning here, but it's also way overdone. As said it's the players that have made it great.

Hopefully someone will wear it next season.

Do any other clubs still hold certain number shirts in such high regard?

I was wondering the same thing. There's number 7 at Man U – Cantona (after whom I remember some of their fans saying the shirt should be retired), then Beckham, Ronaldo... but now they've given it to Michael Owen so it obviously doesn't mean so much.

Guest Stephen927

Couldn't give a s***, it's just a number.

Of course it isn't just a number, there is a lot of history attached to it. Some very good strikers have wore it, there is a great tradition with the number 9 shirt at this club.

The way numbers are distributed nowadays makes squads a bit wonky. For example, Barça's DM or deep-lying playmaker had always worn #4 (Pep or Koeman, for example). Nowadays is carried by Márquez. He's no longer first choice or even plays there but he retains his number because of being the more veteran player, as he used to be our first choice DM 4 years ago. So Sergio Busquets has to carry 16 and Touré 24.

Piqué is wearing 3, which is a full back number, because it was fred by Sylvinho and even though Piqué is first choice, he would be forced to wear a 11+ number as all other low numbers have been picked by more veteran players that have the right to retain them.

Plus Xavi likes to wear #6, which screws all the defense/midfield numbering  :angry: