Race for the Number 9

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Stephen927

Hughton sees Carroll as undroppable, plus he's a young, local lad. Will probably give it to him to boost his confidence and help him push on.

That, or its just trying to get the strikers to put in performances cos this season they haven't scored consistently enough, then he'll give it to someone else in the future, or not hand it out at all.

Guest Stephen927

Haha, boost Carroll's confidence?  He's already convinced he's Pele. 

If anything he needs bringing back down to Earth.  2 goals yesterday didn't help - which sounds retarded, but whatever.

He isn't confident whatsoever in front of goal.

No but I think they should.  I cringe when I see all these Italian clubs with ridiculous NFL style squad numbers, your 1-11 shirts should be your number 1 choices for each position as such (and yes I know I'm assuming a 4-4-2):

I saw Rubin Kazan players wearing 70s and 80s when we played them in the CL  :rolleyes:

Fortunately in La Liga squad numbers over 24 are not allowed for first team squads (can be worn by U21 players from your B squads and youth teams)

If anything he needs bringing back down to Earth.  2 goals yesterday didn't help - which sounds retarded, but whatever.

From what I've seen recently, there is an arrogance about his play that his stunting his performance.

I'm positive that this needs dragging out of him and he needs some perspective. 

Guest Stephen927

From what I've seen recently, there is an arrogance about his play that his stunting his performance.

I'm positive that this needs dragging out of him and he needs some perspective. 

He is like Nile Ranger in the way that hes the big boy off the field in night clubs, but on the pitch don't deliver the goods more often than not. I don't understand it, you would think both had made it big the way they go on.

The barer of the number 9 not only needs to be a good goalscorer, but he needs to have character and personality, and also needs to be atleast slightly endearing to the supporters.

I wouldn't give it to any of our current lot.

Piers Morgan has his say

Toon get shirt shrift

Newcastle's new signing Leon Best has turned down the No 9 shirt because he doesn’t think he’s earned the right to wear it, yet.

This might have been true when Alan Shearer’s burly frame was tucked inside. But given that the last occupant was the hapless Obafemi Martins, I think young Leon’s honourable reluctance is a little misplaced.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1249046/Piers-Morgan-High-Noon-showdown-decide-Arsene-Wengers-fate-Arsenal.html#ixzz0eo976Lik

The barer of the number 9 not only needs to be a good goalscorer, but he needs to have character and personality, and also needs to be atleast slightly endearing to the supporters.

Umm. Loven?

i'll bet i can name more no.9's who were the opposite of that than you can name who lived up to it.

It might seem cheesy but I like that we have a tradition for the "No 9" being special. The game is just becoming sanitised by money. We need to hold on to an many traditions as we can. I like to think that regarding the number 9 shirt as more than just a number, gives us a form of identity, even if the rest of the country take the piss.

Like Hughton said, the number 9 carries (rightly or wrongly) a lot of expectation. I can't see us being able to attract any player who people will think worthy of the shirt. Someone earning the right to wear it is probably the right way to go. I see Routledge has the number 10 shirt which used to be for a striker. The numbers don't seem to mean as much as they used to. Do any other clubs still hold certain number shirts in such high regard?

No but I think they should.  I cringe when I see all these Italian clubs with ridiculous NFL style squad numbers, your 1-11 shirts should be your number 1 choices for each position

Remember Ivan Zamorano  1 + 8?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0157/6035/zamorano_18_feature.jpg

Aberdeen's Zerouali wore the number 0 short in reference to his name

Lizerazu - number 69

Like Hughton said, the number 9 carries (rightly or wrongly) a lot of expectation. I can't see us being able to attract any player who people will think worthy of the shirt. Someone earning the right to wear it is probably the right way to go. I see Routledge has the number 10 shirt which used to be for a striker. The numbers don't seem to mean as much as they used to. Do any other clubs still hold certain number shirts in such high regard?

No but I think they should.  I cringe when I see all these Italian clubs with ridiculous NFL style squad numbers, your 1-11 shirts should be your number 1 choices for each position

Remember Ivan Zamorano  1 + 8?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0157/6035/zamorano_18_feature.jpg

Aberdeen's Zerouali wore the number 0 short in reference to his name

Lizerazu - number 69

Zamorano's 1+8 thing is actually proof of how highly shirt numbers are still regarded in some places. He was forced to relinquish it to Ronaldo and he didn't take it lightly.

#9 shirts are a big marketing icon.