Carroll Has Been Charged With Assault

Crumpy Gunt

Cautioned for punching a woman I think.

A Newcastle United footballer has been arrested in connection with a late-night assault on a woman.

Police were called to Pudding Chare, near the Bigg Market in the early hours of 14 September.

Striker Andy Carroll was arrested. The 19-year-old later accepted a police caution.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7627816.stm

:rolleyes:

wonder if this will have any bearing on the latest charge

Depends how true it all is really. Footballers can be testosterone driven muttonheads at times and they do tend to have a profound lack of imagination in where they drink and what they do. The 'have you seen all of my tattoos?' culture they cling to is bloody awful. Wayne Bridge deserves his women to have their pumper thumped by team mates for owning up to liking Das EFX.

Anyway, in their defence, the number of plebs running to the police/media etc when they do something gets on my tits. Mind you lamping women and glassing people might be a bit OTT I suppose.

If Carroll did what he's been accused of, then he ought to spend a week or so in jail. His actions were very inappropiate and dangerous.

I wouldn't argue against that. As much as I want him available for us, getting his head sorted now might be good for his career in the long term.

In England and Wales, a person guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm is liable, on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years, or on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, or to a fine not exceeding the prescribed sum, or to both.

Have you not heard that prisons are quite full? He's not going to prison, it took a string of at least similar offences by Joey Barton for him to go in prison for 6 weeks ffs, no chance.

i got a caution for assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

cant see him being punished too hard!

In England and Wales, a person guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm is liable, on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years, or on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, or to a fine not exceeding the prescribed sum, or to both.

Have you not heard that prisons are quite full? He's not going to prison, it took a string of at least similar offences by Joey Barton for him to go in prison for 6 weeks ffs, no chance.

Did you glass someone?

I'd be really surprised if it's anything above a community punishment order. He should just plead guilty and get it over with.

Did you glass someone?

no, the IP wasnt left in a very good way though.

granted glassing is nastier.

still dont think owt will happen to him other than a fine / small amount of community service.

• 3 weeks later...

I had forgotten all about this until I read a story which says that the case was adjourned until April 29.  The Magistrates said the case was too serious for them to deal with and it could only be dealt with in the crown court.

Aye, committed to crown court. Doesn't look great for him but on the plus side, I think we'll only have one game left at that point.

EDIT: Unless we finish outside the top 2.

The burden of proof doesn't look to be too great for the charge either, the prosecution doesn't have to prove intent to cause an injury, only that the injury was caused, if he claims that he meant to throw beer but not the glass then he'll still be found guilty.  http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKHL/1992/1.html

Aye, committed to crown court. Doesn't look great for him but on the plus side, I think we'll only have one game left at that point.

perhaps he has elected to go to crown court??? the defendant does have the choice.

The burden of proof doesn't look to be too great for the charge either, the prosecution doesn't have to prove intent to cause an injury, only that the injury was caused, if he claims that he meant to throw beer but not the glass then he'll still be found guilty.  http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKHL/1992/1.html

Carroll could have elected to go to Crown court to be tried 'by a jury of his peers'

Magistrates can refer it to Crown Court if they think the seriousness of the offence means a custodial sentence could be handed down that is beyond what they can legally hand down.

Hopefully the former rather than the latter.

You seem to have a slightly uncomfortable, extensive amount of knowledge on these type of things. :undecided:

Had a few kickings in your time have you? :p

You seem to have a slightly uncomfortable, extensive amount of knowledge on these type of things. :undecided:

From his sister.

perhaps he has elected to go to crown court??? the defendant does have the choice.

The clue was in "The Magistrates said the case was too serious for them to deal with and it could only be dealt with in the crown court."

My only knowledge is of what you've told me.  :lol:

How come that Bowyer and Woodgate weren't allowed to play for England when their court case was ongoing yet Carroll can?

Probably the claim that the offence was racially motivated.