Football podcasts

Gash

• 3 weeks later...

Listening to the Rambles reaction to last night. Pete is a truly awful representation of our fanbase. Thought it was the law that it was a pen and dismissed Lewis Miley's performance saying he was thrown in at the deep end and it showed.

Do we actually have anyone across fans any podcasts that represent the fanbase well?

I’ve long since come to the conclusion Pete either doesn’t really like football or doesn’t understand it. He’s always talked absolute shit. Most of his analysis is surface level stuff.

His self-flagellation about the takeover whenever he has to talk about us is mighty tiring too, and I feel broadly similar. I don’t need to go on about it constantly though.

3 minutes ago, TRC said:

Listening to the Rambles reaction to last night. Pete is a truly awful representation of our fanbase. Thought it was the law that it was a pen and dismissed Lewis Miley's performance saying he was thrown in at the deep end and it showed.

Do we actually have anyone across fans any podcasts that represent the fanbase well?

BBC's own John Murray also thought it was the law and that PSG should've scored anyway so it was fine. I assume although brought up in Northumberland he's a bitter Middlesbrough supporter from his time working at BBC Teeside.

I was bored so I listened to the Sky Sports Football podcast for the first time today. 

Any reason the presenter's/studio panel's voices are chopped and screwed? :lol:

Proper "we used actors to protect the individual's identity" vibes, haha. 

On 29/11/2023 at 16:59, christ said:

I’ve long since come to the conclusion Pete either doesn’t really like football or doesn’t understand it. He’s always talked absolute shit. Most of his analysis is surface level stuff.

His self-flagellation about the takeover whenever he has to talk about us is mighty tiring too, and I feel broadly similar. I don’t need to go on about it constantly though.

Havent listened to the ramble in years, but thought it was always pretty obvious that he was just there to be the affable idiot that didn't know owt about football. 

Actually think the takeover was the final straw for me, had pretty much stopped listening to it before that and then was hoping for some decent discussion of it but it sounded like a group of mackems had got together when they talked about it IIRC. 

8 hours ago, Nobody said:

Havent listened to the ramble in years, but thought it was always pretty obvious that he was just there to be the affable idiot that didn't know owt about football. 

Actually think the takeover was the final straw for me, had pretty much stopped listening to it before that and then was hoping for some decent discussion of it but it sounded like a group of mackems had got together when they talked about it IIRC. 

I used to listen regularly, completely forgot it even existed.  The takeover also was the end for me (see also; Grauniad podcast, James Richardson’s podcast that wasn’t the Grauniad one)

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I used to listen regularly, completely forgot it even existed.  The takeover also was the end for me (see also; Grauniad podcast, James Richardson’s podcast that wasn’t the Grauniad one)

Which James Richardson podcast? I listen to his ones on the Athletic and think they’re spot on. Or is that the pod you’re referring to?

1 hour ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Which James Richardson podcast? I listen to his ones on the Athletic and think they’re spot on. Or is that the pod you’re referring to?

Yeah, the Totally Football one.  I forgot the Athletic bought it out.

Edited by TheBrownBottle

• 1 month later...

Bored with the lack of NUFC games I have been searching for any snippets I can get my hands on and came across nufcmatters with Steve Wraith as the host. I watched a couple of shows despite my better instincts and it was pretty shite. Wraith spent most of his time congratulating himself on ranting, then in the show where Ben Jacobs was the invited journalist who was a nice bloke but was making daft points about FFP which Wraith looked totaly unprepared to address. Plenty of supporters pulled Jacobs up on it while Wraith just sat there looking non-plussed.

What stunned me though is that this channel has almost double the subscribers of the two much higher quality podcasts which I follow, The Toon Review and Loaded Mag. Is it an age thing?

9 minutes ago, TRon said:

Bored with the lack of NUFC games I have been searching for any snippets I can get my hands on and came across nufcmatters with Steve Wraith as the host. I watched a couple of shows despite my better instincts and it was pretty shite. Wraith spent most of his time congratulating himself on ranting, then in the show where Ben Jacobs was the invited journalist who was a nice bloke but was making daft points about FFP which Wraith looked totaly unprepared to address. Plenty of supporters pulled Jacobs up on it while Wraith just sat there looking non-plussed.

What stunned me though is that this channel has almost double the subscribers of the two much higher quality podcasts which I follow, The Toon Review and Loaded Mag. Is it an age thing?

Depends. How old are you?

19 minutes ago, TRon said:

Incredible to think that Wraith has been pushing out sub-par fanzine content since the mid-90s yet he’s still kicking about.  It’s a mystery of the age

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

60. But I like their views over the old guard.

I’d definitely say Wraith’s channel probably more for you as aimed at the older fanbase. Despite his faults he puts a lot of effort into giving some variety with all his shows. They aren’t without some nonsense but probably 3 Amigos the best pick for you or Supetmac & Gibbo. I personally like the Ben Jacobs one. Would give it a second chance perhaps as was a little different to usual due to Wraith being in a fettle all week it seemed on his shows. Normally he just poses questions and Jacobs does virtually all the talking which to me is preferable 😆

17 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I’d definitely say Wraith’s channel probably more for you as aimed at the older fanbase. Despite his faults he puts a lot of effort into giving some variety with all his shows. They aren’t without some nonsense but probably 3 Amigos the best pick for you or Supetmac & Gibbo. I personally like the Ben Jacobs one. Would give it a second chance perhaps as was a little different to usual due to Wraith being in a fettle all week it seemed on his shows. Normally he just poses questions and Jacobs does virtually all the talking which to me is preferable 😆

Ben Jacobs just made him look even more clueless and it was a shame because Jacobs patter was mostly shite. Some of the comments which were flashing up pulled him up on it but they flew right over Steve's head. Maybe he was concentrating too hard on understanding what Jacobs was actually saying, which was basically FFP is A-OK.

Latest Pod on the Tyne episode is quite embarrassing. Caulkin doesn't even take the pod seriously. Waugh talks about the Miggy link, then Caulkin brings it up without even realising thats what has been discussed.

13 hours ago, TRC said:

Latest Pod on the Tyne episode is quite embarrassing. Caulkin doesn't even take the pod seriously. Waugh talks about the Miggy link, then Caulkin brings it up without even realising thats what has been discussed.

Just listened to it. Cringing.