Football podcasts

Gash

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Caulkin doesn’t seem at all interested in doing the podcast tbh. It seems as if most of his job is under duress these days lol. 

Worst thing is having read all the complaints about it I’m off to listen to it for the first time in yonks as a result

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

‘Ho ho ho Captain Waffles’

The irony of Caulkin going on about Waugh being a football nerd, when reading his soppy sub-par fanzine writing is akin to being smothered in a wet blanket.  

The “humour” on their podcast is absolutely woeful. Waugh is great to listen to. Caulkin goes off on too many tangents at times. 

On a separate note I struggle to listen to that Charlotte on true faith. She actually makes some really good points but she’s developed the is kind of annoying drawl trying to be comical which makes her hard to listen to lol Norman Riley and Corby are excellent. 

All with smiling faces podcast is the best one for me. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Found all of the NUFC ones have their flaws.  Think I've said the below so many times.  But it still tracks:

POTT - painfully unfunny.  Waugh the only one worth listening to.  But he certainly lacks a bit of charisma.  The other two twats just spend the whole show taking the piss out of him and offering fuck all in the way of anything worth listening to.

True Faith - Charlotte is horrendous.  Hurst speaks really well at times.  But I still can't see past the fact he regularly used to say Joelinton and ASM were left footed.  Norman is never on, who was class.  The post-match reaction lot are never particularly insightful or enjoyable to listen to.  Too much 'WE ARE CLASS.  WE ARE FUCKING MINT.  NOBODY WANTS TO PLAY US.'  When we're doing well.  Depressing stuff when we lose.  The life of a fan, I guess.  

AWSF - seem like good lads and it can be fun.  But they go off on too many tangents, they get bogged down on certain points or spending ages talking about food :lol:   The slightly higher pitched fella is argumentative for the sake of it and doesn't actually improve the overall experience.  Just feels like he's playing the role of the contrarian and it ruins it, for me.  The longest of all the pods, but they somehow say the least regarding the club or the game.  It can be 20 minutes before they even comment on the game, sometimes. 

Not NUFC specific.  But Football Daily has been pretty good of late.  Euro Leagues is alright, too.  Most of the pundits and journos on there are decent enough.  Only a few whoppers.

17 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Waugh should leave tbh, they go on like he's bringing the pod down, when he's the only redeeming feature 

Its like 2 Dads who have gone to the pub and on has brought their son along.

To give credit where it's due I thought Pod on the Tyne's post-Mackems podcast was really good; overlaying The Prodigy over the radio comms was a nice touch. But obviously agree that it's otherwise quite painful to listen to, and George Caulkin being a bit of a whopper continues to be a huge shame. On the rare occasions he's not playing either the weird curmudgeon role or being overly sentimental about something, he's insightful and even quite witty. Why he lowers himself to the 'ya dad' craic is beyond me. 

Pains me to say but, having defaulted to it as my NUFC pod of choice; True Faith is the best, but it still isn't great. I don't like Alex Hurst for reasons previously discussed but tend to think he speaks well most of the time. No issue with Charlotte and I think Si is generally always spot on. They did have Michael Martin on the last one to spend ten minutes mansplaining the Leeds/Portsmouth/FFP conundrum, mind, which was as tedious as it sounds. 

What I will say though - in everyone's defence - is that making a podcast is hard work; or at least it's hard work to make one that's good. Having microphones pointing at a conversation is one thing; but crafting 45 mins of truly listenable content is another. I dabbled with it once and I know @Darth Crooks gave it a really good go, and I found it took a gargantuan amount of thought and time to try and come up with something decent. 

Yeah - I don't actually find it all that interesting to talk about ENOUGH to come up with an edit that works. TBH The best might only be 15 mins long. Newcastle Natter is pretty fun at times - they are media professionals tbf. Thanks btw.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Any decent general (English) footy podcasts out there worth a listen? Feeling a gap this morning.

It varies a bit in quality depending who they have on and the source material. But BBC 5 Live Football Daily can be pretty good. It’s an easy listen and a solid round up of the previous day. 

A few decent journos get on there and Nedum Onuoha is a superb pundit. 

30 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Any decent general (English) footy podcasts out there worth a listen? Feeling a gap this morning.

Obvious but The rest is football. Everything else I watched or listened to is rubbish now in all honesty.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Obvious but The rest is football. Everything else I watched or listened to is rubbish now in all honesty.

I’ll give it another go. I think Lineker is terrific, but I’m not wholly convinced by Shearer on a podcast and Richards is a bit like having Kaka on at times.

Yeah. I tried that pod and couldn’t get into it. 

Tin hat on. But I don’t think Shearer is a particularly good pundit and Richards is too much at times. His laugh is great. But every 30 seconds gets a bit much. 

45 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

I’ll give it another go. I think Lineker is terrific, but I’m not wholly convinced by Shearer on a podcast and Richards is a bit like having Kaka on at times.

Lineker is basically the main reason to watch it. The other 2 aren't great but have decent anecdotes. I'm so exhausted with shite banter and pretentious fart sniffing journo podcasts though that having 3 footballers just have a chat about football for an hour feels novel.

Edited by Kid Icarus

I like Richards sometimes but sometimes its too jokey and sometimes his analysis is utter bs but some of the stories are great. It is interesting to hear richards talk candidly about how he didn't really get good attitude right until it was too late and his body wasn't up to it anymore

Edited by Tiresias

Absolute bash-your-head-against-a-wall stuff from the latest Monday Night Club (BBC Football Daily). Why Rory Smith, who is the best voice out there when it comes to football podcasts - by a country mile - lowers himself to that tosh, I really don't know.

The likes of him contrasted with Chris Sutton, who is playing a character (cos I assume that's what's required for worthwhile content) is such a mismatch. I tune in to Rory to learn something but he's limited to very basic 'voice of reason' stuff to counter Sutton's tripe.

Yesterday featured Sutton wailing with strawman arguments against anyone judging Moyes, versus a West Ham fan trying to justify leaving at half-time. Absolute noise where everyone's wrong and everyone's loud. 

It’s genuinely hard to tell if Chris Sutton is playing an incredibly long trick on us all with his commentary. It just so often seems to be utter nonsense delivered in a peculiar way.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, SteV said:

IMG_0534.thumb.jpeg.9b5bc1087ac987f03a35bc20087153e8.jpeg

Absolutely loved him as a player, it’s a shame it’s tainted by later events but he was absolutely outstanding with the ball at his feet. 

Enjoyable podcast but no mention of eggs :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

"Penises are absolutely fucking hilarious."

Pod on the Tyne, 2020-24

The best placed sources we have and all they done is drone on about absolute nonsense. 

23 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

The best placed sources we have and all they done is drone on about absolute nonsense. 

Yeah but knobs and other words for knobs are funny as fuck. 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Chris Waugh was on True Faith and he's very decent. The dynamic on POTT is dire though, it's unlistenable.

Chris Waugh is generally excellent I think, a really good listen. The forced attempts at humour on POTT is truly dire 😂

Edited by ExiledGeordie