Football podcasts

Gash

On 23/08/2024 at 16:14, ramirez said:

Jonathan Wilsons pod looking at the 4-3 Liverpool game, despite his leanings its good and fair as ever.  

What’s the name of the podcast?

I hope I don’t sound precious, and I know it’s a bit of fun and doesn’t matter, but do you reckon any other of the Athletic podcasts dedicated to a particular club featuring journalists paid to cover said club spends quite as much airtime doing hilarious banter about not wanting to attend games because they’re far away? Games they’re paid to watch. 

I would just drop the running joke, lads.

2 hours ago, Hovagod said:

I hope I don’t sound precious, and I know it’s a bit of fun and doesn’t matter, but do you reckon any other of the Athletic podcasts dedicated to a particular club featuring journalists paid to cover said club spends quite as much airtime doing hilarious banter about not wanting to attend games because they’re far away? Games they’re paid to watch. 

Not precious just a genuinely terrible podcast. Real shame as other clubs put out decent content. 

I have to be honest, I'm not sure what a good football podcast looks like now. Whether it's through fatigue, poor quality or a combination of that and other stuff, I'm just not that engaged with any of it. The Rest is Football is for me miles ahead of everything now because Lineker is engaging, his trips down memory lane are interesting, and they all have the gravitas to speak about these things. 

Beyond that it's The Athletic - which is carried massively by JJ Bull's self depreciation vs everyone else's heightened sense of importance about what they're doing (talking in ridiculous detail about a fun game) - and JLM's podcast with Flav. All of them are good because of their authenticity, which is why the Ramble feels so shit now because that was why it was good, but now it feels like the furthest thing from that - everything feels set up, written down beforehand, false. 

For all N-O's faults, I'd much rather read and engage with a post from ponsealeus or whoever else than have to put up with the average know-nowt podcast out there. 

I love the Football Clichés pod that was previously on the Athletic. A bit nerdy being based mainly around the language of football used in media, punditry, commentary etc but really makes you think and is often quite funny. Some decent quizzes chucked in sporadically as well

2 hours ago, Hovagod said:

The contrast between ours and the Spurs one is night and day. The host, the analysis, the lack of shit craic, the willingness from said people to fairly get stuck into the manager, team, and owners when necessary.

Saying that, the Guardian lads hate going to games nearly as much as they hate fans being in attendance at games.

20 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

JLM's podcast with Flav.

What’s this? Jacob Lees-Mogg?

There’s a huge market IMO for a more documentary/broad stroke style pod like Set Piece Menu or what Gazetta was but alas they don’t seem to last. The Guardian ones where they tackle an issue such as racism or gambling etc are way more eye opening than the normal drivel they pump out.

Come to the conclusion I actually prefer listening to stuff that isn’t PL (and definitely not Newcastle) focused as you see through it too much albeit some of the pundits are obviously decent and know their stuff. 

14 minutes ago, Robbo2 said:

I love the Football Clichés pod that was previously on the Athletic. A bit nerdy being based mainly around the language of football used in media, punditry, commentary etc but really makes you think and is often quite funny. Some decent quizzes chucked in sporadically as well

Absolute #1 for me by a mile. I genuinely worry that if anything it’s too much aimed at me if anything. 

7 minutes ago, Disco said:

The contrast between ours and the Spurs one is night and day. The host, the analysis, the lack of shit craic, the willingness from said people to fairly get stuck into the manager, team, and owners when necessary.

Saying that, the Guardian lads hate going to games nearly as much as they hate fans being in attendance at games.

What’s this? Jacob Lees-Mogg?

There’s a huge market IMO for a more documentary/broad stroke style pod like Set Piece Menu or what Gazetta was but alas they don’t seem to last. The Guardian ones where they tackle an issue such as racism or gambling etc are way more eye opening than the normal drivel they pump out.

Come to the conclusion I actually prefer listening to stuff that isn’t PL (and definitely not Newcastle) focused as you see through it too much albeit some of the pundits are obviously decent and know their stuff. 

Absolute #1 for me by a mile. I genuinely worry that if anything it’s too much aimed at me if anything. 

James Lawrence Allcott, the M stands for Allcott 

Haven't listened to Football Clichés in ages, might have to pick it up again because I literally don't like any football podcast. :lol: If we win I'll listen to Pod on the Tyne and a bit of True Faith, and then some of the mainstream weekly ones if I feel like I'm overdue shoving my foot into the car speaker, but I rarely actively enjoy anything. I listen to the Monday Night Club from time to time because Rory Smith is on it but so is Chris Sutton, which is literally the very, very ends of the spectrum. 

7 minutes ago, Disco said:

Obviously a hard agree on that one. SPM will never be topped; I still miss it a lot. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Haven't listened to Football Clichés in ages, might have to pick it up again because I literally don't like any football podcast. :lol: If we win I'll listen to Pod on the Tyne and a bit of True Faith, and then some of the mainstream weekly ones if I feel like I'm overdue shoving my foot into the car speaker, but I rarely actively enjoy anything. I listen to the Monday Night Club from time to time because Rory Smith is on it but so is Chris Sutton, which is literally the very, very ends of the spectrum. 

Obviously a hard agree on that one. SPM will never be topped; I still miss it a lot. 

Aye the mainstream ones are in one ear out of the other when I’m doing something else 9/10 these days. Useful if you’ve not seen the weekends games and not a lot more which I guess is half their purpose. Their European equivalents are again, for me, miles better.

My mate went to the live show for Cliches and said it was decent. Said the Guardian one he went too was almost at walking out halfway through stuff. 

As an aside there’s so much football content these days it’s absolutely absurd. Like I think someone said the other day Gary Neville seems to have about ten podcasts/YT platforms on the go in addition  to being on Sky. Calm down lad we don’t need to hear from you that often. 

I started a couple of general football ones but I think I’m just not all that interested any more, and simply don’t have the time. 

Started listening to The Fighting Cock while I was in the US as essentially I was missing talking about Spurs down the pub and that’s basically what it is. Only…under all the nob jokes it’s quietly incisive about football (on and off the pitch) and Flav keeps it together nicely.

View From the Lane (the Athletic’s Spurs podcast) is simply - like Disco says - really good, although the best thing about it was Charlie Eccleshare and he’s just left. Danny Kelly can be a twat and is wrong so much of the time but he’s a pro and it shows. There‘s a podcast by a Spurs journalist called Gold and Guest that’s a bit dry but always has interesting info from behind the scenes.

Like Yorkie, I’ll happily listen to anything when we win and avoid them for a few days when we lose. One podcast for the Spurs banter/pub vibes, one for Spurs club info, one for interesting analysis and a bit of reminiscing. That seems to be enough footy podcasts for me for the most part.

9 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I have to be honest, I'm not sure what a good football podcast looks like now. Whether it's through fatigue, poor quality or a combination of that and other stuff, I'm just not that engaged with any of it. The Rest is Football is for me miles ahead of everything now because Lineker is engaging, his trips down memory lane are interesting, and they all have the gravitas to speak about these things. 

Beyond that it's The Athletic - which is carried massively by JJ Bull's self depreciation vs everyone else's heightened sense of importance about what they're doing (talking in ridiculous detail about a fun game) - and JLM's podcast with Flav. All of them are good because of their authenticity, which is why the Ramble feels so shit now because that was why it was good, but now it feels like the furthest thing from that - everything feels set up, written down beforehand, false. 

For all N-O's faults, I'd much rather read and engage with a post from ponsealeus or whoever else than have to put up with the average know-nowt podcast out there. 

I stopped listening to the Ramble during Covid (as there were no games) and listened to one episode a few months ago. Could have been a clip show, they make all the same in jokes, the matches barely covered just self referential. (Keagan joke, Pete joke). They’re just phoning it in.

I like the Rest is Football but wonder what I’ll think of it when I’ve heard all their stories already 

I listen to Cliche's mainly now. It's funny. I admit I do listen to guardian weekly a bit still, but not for coverage of us which is dreadful. Wouldnt dream of going to a live show for that though, I think the discussion is generally decent but they're not as funny as they think they are others apart from a few irregular guests. I know they are on the more high horse about us at times but I dunno i am more sympathetic to that side than a lot here i guess. I tried the athletic's tactics pod thing didn't really do anything for me but was preseason stuff may try again. Totally Football show felt so unengaged, like James Richardson was nearly falling asleep at all times. Rest is Football i dip in and out of, I don't really rate their analysis of games much it's at it's best when Linekar is telling old stories but feel like going to run out of them soon if he hasn't already, but some of their interviews I've really enjoyed. 

I do avoid Newcastle only pods, tried in past, never really did a huge amount. If I was paying less attention to here may appreciate them more I guess.

'

Edited by Tiresias

Apart from Second Captains, my go-to weekend review podcast at the minute is Planet FPL, really good tactical analysis. I think it's worthwhile even if you're not an FPL person.

Haven't bothered regularly with Guardian or Totally Football in years now.

34 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Apart from Second Captains, my go-to weekend review podcast at the minute is Planet FPL, really good tactical analysis. I think it's worthwhile even if you're not an FPL person.

Planet FPL is very good. They do a lot of non FPL content too

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

Aye, James really knows his stuff. 

I'm not that into FPL but his tactical analysis is excellent.

6 hours ago, leffe186 said:

View From the Lane (the Athletic’s Spurs podcast) is simply - like Disco says - really good, although the best thing about it was Charlie Eccleshare and he’s just left. Danny Kelly can be a twat and is wrong so much of the time but he’s a pro and it shows. There‘s a podcast by a Spurs journalist called Gold and Guest that’s a bit dry but always has interesting info from behind the scenes.

I quite like Danny but given I’m a step removed from it his rants and oddities don’t mean as much. I only listen when you don’t win or something else goes tits up too :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Disco said:

I quite like Danny but given I’m a step removed from it his rants and oddities don’t mean as much. I only listen when you don’t win or something else goes tits up too :lol: 

Schadenfreude is what makes football go round :lol:

Yeah I like him well enough but he winds up a lot of people and is wrong a lot. Charlie Eccleshare was right a lot so that balanced out :lol:. It’s just a well put-together podcast tbh.

Edit: Danny Kelly provides a nice bridge to both my generation and my Dad’s generation, something nearly all podcasts miss.

Edited by leffe186