Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

If we sign more than one midfielder who can actually run, I might explode.

Midfielder that can run, striker with pace and some cover on the wing and we'll stay up imo.

You're probably right, at least it looks like Hughton has identified our criminal lack of athleticism in midfield... that's what the PL is all about.

Hope so, if we end the window with Nolan and Smith both starting then we're doomed.

Hughton will surely agree with this and must have alternative plans.

Guest Roger Kint

Is Scharner still available?

Heard he was talking to Blackpool, seems a strange one though

People letting themselves get carried away again I see.

Sorry, lets all sit and not think about our favorite club because of a "no capital outlay" statement that no one even understands.

How much did that lovely straw man set you back?

Guest Heneage

Yeah f*** you Dave.

Now we both know that's not what I said. That's abuse! :bluestar:

But to say we can't sign two free players surprises me.

Yeah f*** you Dave.

Oh you've got one too? Nice.

I'd really like Scharner but I think he's going to want large wages, possibly the reason why he's still a free agent. However he's 30 and after a quick google news-ing of him it seems Liverpool are after him.

Guest Heneage

Yeah f*** you Dave.

Just explain to me, what is so unrealistic about it.

Two players, both young, both coming from average sized clubs for differing reasons. De Guzman will not have been on major money in Holland between 5-10k per week. Gosling turned down 15k, so while it would mean going to the top end of our salary structure, but it's not like we are Blackpool.

People letting themselves get carried away again I see.

Sorry, lets all sit and not think about our favorite club because of a "no capital outlay" statement that no one even understands.

How much did that lovely straw man set you back?

What shall we do then? Sit back and moan about how shit we are? No thanks, it's the one time of year for us to have some hope, and I'm not going to sit here be cynical about free signings. I don't even see anyone getting carried away in the first place.

Yeah f*** you Dave.

Just explain to me, what is so unrealistic about it.

Two players, both young, both coming from average sized clubs for differing reasons. De Guzman will not have been on major money in Holland between 5-10k per week. Gosling turned down 15k, so while it would mean going to the top end of our salary structure, but it's not like we are Blackpool.

It's pretty realistic considering the circumstances, though I still don't know why anyone insists on trying to guess wages and what we can afford/want to pay. I also think it's a bit ridiculous to say Everton and Feyenoord are average sized clubs, especially in comparison to us at the moment.

I just think there's been an increased flurry of speculation since we signed Perch for fuck all and I don't really understand why. I mean I hope he does great for us but it's nothing to get excited about. Nolan, Smith, Ryan Taylor et all are still going to be first teamers this season, why get your hopes up that they're not?

Dave give your pessimism a rest :razz:

"We're not signing anyone"

Newcastle United sign James Perch

"We're not signing anyone else"

Agent: Magpies bid for Sporting star Yannick Djalo

NEWCASTLE have made a £4.2 million bid for Portuguese forward Yannick Djalo, according to his agent.

But both United and Tottenham, who are claimed to have lodged a similar offer, will need to put more cash on the table to persuade Sporting Lisbon to part with one of their brightest stars.

Djalo is attracting serious English interest after it became clear that cash-strapped Sporting were willing to cash in on the 24-year-old.

And his agent, Lionel Silva, has declared that Newcastle and Spurs are the first Premier League clubs to have shown their hand.

But Sporting are said to have rebuffed both English bidders as they hold out for £6 million-plus.

”The two clubs (Newcastle and Spurs) are interested,” said Silva. “But we have not reached an understanding with regard to price. We have to wait a little longer.

“He (Djalo) fancies the idea of going to England, because playing in the English Premier League is a dream for most players.

“But while there is not total agreement on a deal, Yannick has to report to work (at Sporting) every day.”

Born in the former Portuguese colony Guinea-Bissau, Djalo is a product of Sporting’s youth system and a former Portugal Under-21 international as happy playing on the wing as through the middle. If United do press home an interest in him, it remains to be seen whether their reputed bid for another striker, Paris Saint-Germain’s Melvut Erding, comes to anything.

Meanwhile, Italian sources say Newcastle are also keeping tabs on Roma front man Stefano Okaka. The 20-year-old spent the back end of last season at Fulham, scoring twice in 10 appearances, and is thought to be available for around £2 million.

Celtic are also on the trail of Okaka, as they are another player to have caught the eye of United boss Chris Hughton – Nottingham Forest centre-half Kelvin Wilson.

Meanwhile, Newcastle and Sunderland may miss out to Liverpool if they pursue free agent Paul Scharner.

The versatile Austrian international is on Tyne-Wear radars, but his agent has made clear that Liverpool, whose new boss Roy Hodgson repeatedly tried to sign him for Liverpool, is Scharner’s dream move.

United are also among a host of Premier League clubs set to be made aware of the availability of French teenage starlet Nassim Boukhelifa.

The 19-year-old fired Lens to the French youth league title but has turned down the club’s repeated offers of a senior contract in the hope of securing a move to England, where his free agent status will hold real appeal.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/2010/07/11/agent-magpies-bid-for-sporting-star-yannick-djalo-79310-26827343/

Guest BooBoo

It seems that there's now complete overlap between this thread and the "Transfer Rumours in the Media" thread. Should they not just be merged into one?

Newcastle sweat as race for Dan Gosling hots up

NEWCASTLE have held a second round of talks with midfield target Dan Gosling – but face being trampled in a rush for the England Under-21 star.

Having travelled to Tyneside for discussions on Wednesday, the Sunday Sun can reveal England Under-21 international Gosling spoke again to United on Friday, and a decision on his future is expected within 48 hours.

But while West Ham are the only other club seriously linked with him so far, Gosling – a free agent after leaving Everton – is now scheduled to meet with up to half a dozen other interested Premier League sides.

With Newcastle’s commitment to keeping their wage bill down, that could mean Gosling being offered a more lucrative deal elsewhere.

But the 20-year-old Devonian is insistent he will decide his destination on footballing rather than financial terms, meaning the greater guarantees of first-team football that the Magpies can offer, the better.

Meanwhile, Newcastle may also be willing to up their contract offer to defender Steven Taylor beyond his current £35,000-a-week deal.

Hopes are high that United striker Andy Carroll is soon to sign his own new contract, worth around £19,000-a-week.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/2010/07/11/newcastle-sweat-as-race-for-dan-gosling-hots-up-79310-26827341/http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/2010/07/11/newcastle-sweat-as-race-for-dan-gosling-hots-up-79310-26827341/

Guest BooBoo

Still yet to be convinced that we need Dan Gosling. I dont think he would bring anything new to our midfield.