Watford 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 27/02/10 - post match reaction from page 20

Dave

We were away on a s*** pitch in pouring rain with half of our first-choice squad missing.

It's hardly surprising that the quality of football was less than epic. I see it as a plus that we were able to grind out a comfortable win under the circumstances.

Guest VegasToon

ESPN 360 is absolutely brilliant. Not only can I watch the match live, I can access the video of the game at any point that I feel like. I wish the club could create something similar for all the matches. I might even pay for it.

:clap:

ESPN 360 is absolutely brilliant. Not only can I watch the match live, I can access the video of the game at any point that I feel like. I wish the club could create something similar for all the matches. I might even pay for it.

:clap:

Aye, been watching Barça's second goal today over and over thanks to that  :fwap:

Think you have pretty much got promotion in the bag provided you don't lose to Forest, I can not see that happening, hope you wipe that smug grin off Billy Davies face! Just the title left for you to clinch now!

Colo has been immense this season - player of the season so far for me - I think any centre half would enjoy playing alongside him at the moment as he looks so "in control" and assured.

To pick up on a couple of earlier posts - it was very unfair for him to have been judged so harshly last season, as DISG said, against the backdrop of turmoil and chaos he walked in to - but the fact he never threw a "sicky" as some may have done, said a lot about his character.

Completely different league but I see him being a success in the PL this time round, IF we go up.

Another post comments that we haven't missed Taylor. I thought we would despite not being his biggest fan. Williamson looks to be a good signing, although as said earlier anyone would enjoy playing alongside Colo right now.

We have a much better squad than when we started the season, it's unlikely we could have gone to tough places like Watford and got a result with so many key players missing early on.

Credit to Hughton - he looks like he's spent what budget he has wisely.

Guest The_Scoreboard

What were you expecting like? We've played like that or worse in the majority of our away games this season.

Nothing spectacular, but a few chances created in open play from the team clear at the top of the league would've been nice, maybe? Or perhaps a few decent passing moves, only a few? Too much to expect from any team that looks to be 'effective' in this league, I guess, the likes of Swansea, WBA, Doncaster etc. play pretty football, but don't grind out the results.

That's not they way we do things, unfortunately. If we hadn't had scored the early goal you would have seen a better standard of football from us and a more open game. Scoring the goal gave us something to guard though and guarding a lead is what Hughton loves to do, it's not pretty but it's effective with a backline as solid as ours is. We could have stepped up a gear at any time, not that we would have necessarily scored or won but we're capable of a lot better. Typical away performance from us.

Hard to play decent football when the f***ing two central midfielders are about 30 yards behind play constantly as well.

This. Doesn't make for pretty flowing games but with an early goal in the bag all they gonna do is try and sneak another while keeping a clean sheet. Well done is what i say  :thup:

I think it's a bit harsh to say we haven't missed Taylor.  We've conceded 11 in the 9 games he's missed compared to 6 in 9 in the run up to his injury.  I realise this doesn't take into account a whole host of factors (including missing Jose and the standard of the teams) but it seems to indicate we have been a bit worse at the back.  I think Williamson has been brilliant since he came but from what I saw yesterday he looked a little shaky/nervous at times and made a couple of silly decisions, we'll have to wait and see if he can keep up his early form (which was excellent), otherwise I still think Taylor-Colo might be our best partnership with the players we have at the moment.

As for Coloccini being player of the season, I'd have to disagree.  He's definitely been in the top 3-4 players all season but I think people have been quick to forget how could Jose has been.  In most games he's not only been our best defender but also our best attacker.

Smith summed it up nicely after the game, "It wasn't a good game for the boys who like to pass it around but it was a good game for players like me".

He also added that he thought Coloccini was outstanding and Williamson had a good game.

I'd say that Colo and Enrique have been far better than anyone else this season. Both have cruised through the season.

Aye they have been brilliant all season. But who would you give player of the season too?

Personally i'd give it to Colo, as centre half is a more crucial position.

I've just realised that 'shirts' and 'shorts' sound exactly the same in Geordie. Why've I never noticed that before?

"Sharts" you mean ? Isn't that more like Makemland and Eshington accents ?

Guest toonlass

I've just realised that 'shirts' and 'shorts' sound exactly the same in Geordie. Why've I never noticed that before?

"Sharts" you mean ? Isn't that more like Makemland and Eshington accents ?

Fuck off. People from Ashington sound nowt like Mackems.

Guest Mighty Toon Army

Cracking trip.

Brilliant in the weatherspoons pre-match and the atmosphere was actually decent from our lot which makes a nice change.

Guest jeffers09

Yeah was in weatherspoons myself

Enjoyed the game thought the atmosphere was preety good compared to the last few ive been to

would have preferd to be closer to the back mind was the second row in

Yeah was in weatherspoons myself

Enjoyed the game thought the atmosphere was preety good compared to the last few ive been to

would have preferd to be closer to the back mind was the second row in

I was CC which was like 3rd from the front, just pushed in somewhere at the back, there's always spare seats where people go to stand with mates etc.

Excellent result.  That'll demoralise the fuck out of the chasing pack who will very quickly start to run out of games.  Happy fucking days.

agree.but chasing pack are fighting each other all the way for the other place, so we will have to keep going.

So Watford fans on a different forum reckon Smith took a swing at Williamson after we conceded. Apparently Smith was incensed with Williamson and he gave some verbal back, and other NUFC players had to intervene. Anyone see/read anything about this? I wasn't looking but saw Pancrate with his arms out as if to say to everyone to calm it.

So Watford fans on a different forum reckon Smith took a swing at Williamson after we conceded. Apparently Smith was incensed with Williamson and he gave some verbal back, and other NUFC players had to intervene. Anyone see/read anything about this? I wasn't looking but saw Pancrate with his arms out as if to say to everyone to calm it.

I heard about it on here during the match. No surprise that Smith missed though.