Newcastle United 3 - 0 Scunthorpe - 17/03/10 - post match reaction from page 14

Nate

Was I the only person who didn't realise Nolan's goal was disallowed until I got home?

I think even SSN got it wrong for a while, I texted my brother that the second goal had gone in and he thought it was 3-0.

Even the stadium announcer said it was a goal at first.

By the way, was it really offside?

Guest Leeevo

The idiocy is dripping from the page when it comes to our players sometimes. Best may well be rubbish and from what I've been able to gather from the matches I've seen/heard live and/or saw highlights of he definitely hasn't got off to a great start in the reverential black and white. The fact remains that he has been on the pitch somewhere around 364 minutes for this team. I wish on all of you that you are forever judged in your jobs and occupations based on the first 364 minutes of your work, while you acclimate to your new surroundings. Not even a full work day, that is. IT is fine to express our doubts as the supporters that spend our hard earned currency on tickets/merchandise/whatever, but this over-the-top chastisation is undoubtedly uncalled for. I say, let us give the man time. I think that would be the better option than declaring the young man's career over on the back of a 20 minute substitute appearance in a match that was well won.

:thup:

Got to agree with this, we have to give him more time. Hopefully it's one of those situations where if he gets a goal, the confidence will improve and he'll improve. Also, difficult to get in the side at the moment with Carroll and Lovenkrands playing well and scoring goals.

Was I the only person who didn't realise Nolan's goal was disallowed until I got home?

no quite a few of us didnt realise till half time. think cos we all heard the anouncer confirm number 4 kevin nolan has scored, we were still jumping about and missed the goal kick to restart!

also i was in line with jonas and he looked level when the ball was played for his disallowed goal - great dinked curling finish though, and nolan also looked to be level for his goal on the highlights at half time.

Scunthorpe are seriously fucking gash, slightly disappointed it wasn't 10-nowt.  No surprise to see they've got the worst goal difference in the league.  Straight after the match I got to see a lad in a guinness hat proper chunder near Barker and Stonehouse as well, one of those ones where it explodes out of both nostrils as well :lol:

Have to say, I don't really understand what Best did wrong mind, apart from one mis placed pass.

From his game and onwards he has just looked nervous and lacking in confidence, possibly completely overawed by his new surroundings. He desperately needs a goal to settle his nerves.

Have to say, I don't really understand what Best did wrong mind, apart from one mis placed pass.

From his game and onwards he has just looked nervous and lacking in confidence, possibly completely overawed by his new surroundings. He desperately needs a goal to settle his nerves.

Probably what Hughton was thinking when he brought him on against those lot.

Guest palnese

Probably what Hughton was thinking when he brought him on against those lot.

Should at least have been given 30 minutes or so.

No world beater, but nowhere near as bad as some are calling him on here. Like any striker he'll struggle until he notches a couple and then he'll be much more relaxed and look a better player.

No world beater, but nowhere near as bad as some are calling him on here. Like any striker he'll struggle until he notches a couple and then he'll be much more relaxed and look a better player.

The thing is Besty realistically only has 10 games to make any sort of impact as he's going to be a useful as a flacid penis in the premier league.

Scunthorpe are seriously fucking gash, slightly disappointed it wasn't 10-nowt.  No surprise to see they've got the worst goal difference in the league.

I'll post this as a Scunthorpe fan, which is difficult to do right now.

That was easily our worst performance of the season. Absolutely gutless performance; they just didn't turn up. It was always going to be one way traffic, but they looked like they didn't even care.

Missing your best defender (Mirfin) and your best striker (Hooper) doesn't help, but add to that a right back who should be back playing college football in america, and a centre back who wouldn't look out of place in Sunday league football, it was always going to be a big defeat.

There was a huge argument after the match between the players. Think they already know they're down, and no there's a rumour Hooper is out for the season.

Had a decent night our after the match though, after I'd recovered from my vertigo.

Scunthorpe are seriously f***ing gash, slightly disappointed it wasn't 10-nowt.  No surprise to see they've got the worst goal difference in the league.

That was easily our worst performance of the season. Absolutely gutless performance; they just didn't turn up. It was always going to be one way traffic, but they looked like they didn't even care.

Missing your best defender (Mirfin) and your best striker (Hooper) doesn't help, but add to that a right back who should be back playing college football in america, and a centre back who wouldn't look out of place in Sunday league football, it was always going to be a big defeat.

There was a huge argument after the match between the players. Think they already know they're down, and no there's a rumour Hooper is out for the season.

Had a decent night our after the match though, after I'd recovered from my vertigo.

aye.some lads in the bar beforehand were saying  3 or 4 nil and they'd take it if they got no more injuries for more important games they might get points from.

Scunthorpe are seriously f***ing gash, slightly disappointed it wasn't 10-nowt.  No surprise to see they've got the worst goal difference in the league.

aye.some lads in the bar beforehand were saying  3 or 4 nil and they'd take it if they got no more injuries for more important games they might get points from.

Shame Williams and Josh Wright both picked up injuries. Adkins might go to Bristol City too now. Happy days.

Exactly, but most mugs on here don't understand things like that  :pow:

"he's such a waste of fucking money" "more like leon WORST huhuhuhuhuh" etc..  :kinnear:

I think even SSN got it wrong for a while, I texted my brother that the second goal had gone in and he thought it was 3-0.

Even the stadium announcer said it was a goal at first.

By the way, was it really offside?

I got it on video, search 'Newcastle vs Scunthorpe Leazes Corner' in google and it's the first result. It's on around 1:30. Looks onside to me.

Scunthorpe are seriously fucking gash, slightly disappointed it wasn't 10-nowt.  No surprise to see they've got the worst goal difference in the league.

Andrew Wright was the best player in light blue last night, in my opinion. Thought he was outstanding considering what he was up against. Had a couple of shaky moments but on the whole was very, very good. One of the very few to play anywhere near the level required.

Agree that it was the worst performance of the season though, just didn't turn up at all.

Where did the argument happen, by the way? On the pitch?? I missed it if so. I don't think Scunny are down and out just yet either, have a feeling they were holding something back for the games on Saturday/Tuesday. Anything less than four points from those two and I might agree that things are extremely bleak.

Andrew Wright was the best player in light blue last night, in my opinion. Thought he was outstanding considering what he was up against. Had a couple of shaky moments but on the whole was very, very good. One of the very few to play anywhere near the level required.

Agree that it was the worst performance of the season though, just didn't turn up at all.

They must have been given some duff information about us.

They must have been given some duff information about us.

:lol:

Wright being the best Scunny player last night says more about the rest of the team. He's not up to Championship standard (you could say that only Murphy, Hooper and Josh Wright are though I guess).

It could quite easily have been 9 or 10 nil. Murphy's not a happy bunny at all, and there could be some reprecussions of that......

I'll post this as a Scunthorpe fan

Whats with the NUFC related avatar/username then? From the Tim Lovejoy school of supporter?

Whats with the NUFC related avatar/username then? From the Tim Lovejoy school of supporter?

Ahh, this one again.

I've followed Newcastle for 27 years now, but scunthorpe are my home team (considering I live in Scunthorpe). Ok?

Ahh, this one again.

I've followed Newcastle for 27 years now, but scunthorpe are my home team (considering I live in Scunthorpe). Ok?

So you wanted Sccunny to win?  Hard to reconcile that with following Newcastle.  Not meant as a criticism by the way - just a strange situation to be in.

Where did the argument happen, by the way? On the pitch?? I missed it if so. I don't think Scunny are down and out just yet either, have a feeling they were holding something back for the games on Saturday/Tuesday. Anything less than four points from those two and I might agree that things are extremely bleak.

I thought the lad up front actually had a canny game. Worked his socks off all night.