Sunderland...

Heron

Guest Wearside

So why aren't fans returning now, now that you're doing as good as you were back then (if not better)?

Attendances are down all over the country,last year our average was 40k, this year it's 38k,it's hardly a massive difference.I know many lads who vowed never to return after the 19 point season in 2003 and they haven't,every match is available in the boozers now and people are just happy watching it in there rather then spending £30 odd quid on a ticket.

Fair enough. To be honest, the ticket prices really are stupid sometimes, but I don't blame the clubs as much as I blame the Premier League for not regulating the league correctly.

Saying that though there should be thousands upon thousands of kids going. If i was a Sundelrand fan and if i could get a ST for £19 i'd be mad not to go for it.

Firstly the £19 tickets were last season not this season and secondly to purchase one of those an adult had to buy a full price season ticket.

The way you lot are talking you would think Newcastle sold out the ground every week,how many full houses apart from Sunderland games have Newcastle had in the last few year?

You have to admit our numbers are good this season.

I'm not saying they are not good but it was only a couple of year ago that you were averaging 51/52k a season,like I say attendances are down at practically every club and this isn't just a Sunderland thing.

Guest Wearside

So why aren't fans returning now, now that you're doing as good as you were back then (if not better)?

Attendances are down all over the country,last year our average was 40k, this year it's 38k,it's hardly a massive difference.I know many lads who vowed never to return after the 19 point season in 2003 and they haven't,every match is available in the boozers now and people are just happy watching it in there rather then spending £30 odd quid on a ticket.

Fair enough. To be honest, the ticket prices really are stupid sometimes, but I don't blame the clubs as much as I blame the Premier League for not regulating the league correctly.

Saying that though there should be thousands upon thousands of kids going. If i was a Sundelrand fan and if i could get a ST for £19 i'd be mad not to go for it.

Aye, kids season ticket is only £19? Is that with a parents one though? Still, that's not a bad deal, like.

Kids season ticket was £49 this season if bought with an adults one.

I stood in the same spot too for the 1st leg of the 1990 play offs. Was a very different situation that time though as there weren't as many mags in the paddock and I couldn't manage to get in amongst the ones that were so I had to stand with the mackems as they sang "Spot The Mag". There were some seriously psychotic looking ones too and they were looking all around as they sang it. I wasn't taking any chances so I sang it too, LOL.

:lol: Merry Christmas mate.

A couple of old mates of mine were in the away end when sunderland played Millwall, during a chant of we hate Geordies one of them shouted they're not Geordies they're mackems.

the other lad said it was a bit squeaky bum time in there, especially when they were clocked by a mackem who lives in the same village, the mackem wasn't happy :lol:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Perhaps it isn't just a Sunderland thing, but Sunderland have tried a lot to correct the issue and its either worked (and only increased crowds to 30k) it hasn't worked. Which makes you wonder what's left for Quinn and Short to try? Cheap tickets and free tickets don't seem to bring back the missing 10k - what can?

Firstly the £19 tickets were last season not this season and secondly to purchase one of those an adult had to buy a full price season ticket.

The way you lot are talking you would think Newcastle sold out the ground every week,how many full houses apart from Sunderland games have Newcastle had in the last few year?

I'm not saying they are not good but it was only a couple of year ago that you were averaging 51/52k a season,like I say attendances are down at practically every club and this isn't just a Sunderland thing.

Are they down at clubs that have significantly improved though?

I see Murphy has settled in well at Celtic http://www.talkceltic.net/forum/celtic-chat/94685-murphy.html

"This guy couldn't even lick Cillian Sheridan's right ballsack....an he was absolutely pish!"

Guest Haris Vuckic

''We sell out every match/ It's literally impossible to get a ticket'' Spurs are only averaging 31793

Guest Wearside

I see Murphy has settled in well at Celtic http://www.talkceltic.net/forum/celtic-chat/94685-murphy.html

"This guy couldn't even lick Cillian Sheridan's right ballsack....an he was absolutely pish!"

We have higher average than so called big clubs such as Spurs,Everton and Villa,38k is not a bad average in my opinion and is currently the 7th best in the league.

As for Murphy,how we managed to get £1.5m out of Celtic for him was incredible. :)

I like Wearside. We've tested him and he doesn't seem a mong. Nice to have a macekm on the board tbh

Agreed. It has certainly sparked up the interest in this thread to have a decent Sunderland fan putting his club's argument across intelligently.

Former poster SAFC was a good lad too and his contributions were always worth reading.

Guest neesy111

Wearside is correct this is a country wide problem, people's budgets are being pushed to the limit currently.  Though NUFC attendances for the prices have stayed very well.  Sunderland are still a very well supported club, but they do seem to have lost lots of fans over the last 6-7 years.

I like Wearside. We've tested him and he doesn't seem a mong. Nice to have a macekm on the board tbh

Yep. We were just saying the other day how it'd be nice to have one around then BAM!!!!! Wearside turns up.

If only Wearside would turn up at the SOL......

Guest Wearside

Yep. We were just saying the other day how it'd be nice to have one around then BAM!!!!! Wearside turns up.

Aye that was the reason I registered after I seen that.I started reading this messageboard just before we played you in October and it's always good to see how the other half live so too speak.

I might go missing for a few weeks in January if you beat us again mind!! :)

yeah yeah nice guy and all that, blah blah.

but thats not how rivalry works,

Wearside you shit crowd Mackem twat, 5-1 sad mackem bastard. ;)

In the US, the games are blacked-out locally unless they are sold out. Only available on Cable/Satellite season packages unless they are a sellout.

There must be some financial incentive from the local TV companies to show the games locally too, because the team owner will often buy up the last 5000 tickets and donate them, in order to get the game onto TV.

Guest neesy111

You're a lot more constructive than my one mackem mate who sends me pictures of dead magpies following derby defeats anyhow. fair play

He won't have had much practice tbf...mobiles have only been around for about 10 year.

:lol:  Was thinking that some line myself.