Sunderland...

Heron

I was surprised to learn today that Ashington has a 50/50 split of Newcastle/Sunderland fans, if not more leaning towards Sunderland.

Ashington? All the way up there? I'd find that surprising as well.

What was the source?

its true,  although Ashington has the most,  quite alot of them are spread around South East Northumberland,  mainly due to miners moving there for work years and years ago. 

there are more than you'd think but nowhere near 50/50

Thats because its not! :lol:

I was surprised to learn today that Ashington has a 50/50 split of Newcastle/Sunderland fans, if not more leaning towards Sunderland.

What was the source?

its true,  although Ashington has the most,  quite alot of them are spread around South East Northumberland,  mainly due to miners moving there for work years and years ago. 

Early 20th century strike breaking blackleg scum i believe. Led to the first case of football hooliganism in 1905 at SJP apparently.

What was the source?

Early 20th century strike breaking blackleg scum i believe. Led to the first case of football hooliganism in 1905 at SJP apparently.

Can you supply any more info on this? very interesting if true.

It's OK, Wigan's in this run of easy games they have coming up, points pretty much on the board already like West Brom and Birmingham.

Shame all these 'easy' games are teams fighting for their life, while the mackems are fielding a load of spinless wankers who (probably rightly) consider themselves pretty safe.

Steve Bruce

“What creates that expectation? I think it's a combination of a lot of things that are unique to Sunderland and the North-East.

“What gives Sunderland a divine right to succeed when we've finished seventh in the Premier League twice in 50 years? Where does the expectation come from? Is it just because of the volume of support that we have? Partly, and I also think we have a press that helps foster it. It does become very difficult.”

Full article: http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/8983777.Bruce__We_might_have_been_wrong_to_sell_Bent/

Steve Bruce

What creates that expectation? I think it's a combination of a lot of things that are unique to Sunderland and the North-East.

What gives Sunderland a divine right to succeed when we've finished seventh in the Premier League twice in 50 years? Where does the expectation come from? Is it just because of the volume of support that we have? Partly, and I also think we have a press that helps foster it. It does become very difficult.

Full article: http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/8983777.Bruce__We_might_have_been_wrong_to_sell_Bent/

He's cracked and going under.

Always seems to dodge the fact that he has spent a huge fortune on players and contracts and made zero real progress.

Anyone who thiks Lee fkin Cattermole is fit to captain a Premiership club really has lost the plot.

Hope they get the couple of results they crave between now and the end of the season, just enough to appease the board so that the fat Geordie lad can finish the job properly next season.

Steve Bruce

“What creates that expectation? I think it's a combination of a lot of things that are unique to Sunderland and the North-East.

“What gives Sunderland a divine right to succeed when we've finished seventh in the Premier League twice in 50 years? Where does the expectation come from? Is it just because of the volume of support that we have? Partly, and I also think we have a press that helps foster it. It does become very difficult.”

This thread just keeps floating like a turd in water.

Always one of the top five threads on the forum.

And they are the sad bastards?

People like you keep posting in it.

AFAIK, we never had a mackem thread--and they were hardly ever mentioned in general--until we were relegated. Presumably, once we've established ourselves back in PL, we'll re-forget about them.

When footballer Stefan Schwarz signed for Sunderland in a record transfer for the club in 1999, it was explicitly written into his contract that he was forbidden from travelling into space.

Sunderland were worried that Schwarz, a well-known space enthusiast, would be tempted to accompany one of his advisers, who had tickets for one of the planned upcoming commercial tourist flights into space that were then scheduled for 2002. In the end, by the time Schwarz ended his playing career with Sunderland in 2003, only two paying tourists had actually flown in space, and regular tourist flights into space are yet to become a reality

:lol:

The 'Sunderland' title of this thread is deceiving anyway. Most the stuff posted in here is taking the piss out of things mackems have said. Should be renamed "What have the dipshits on RTG been saying now".

Guest neesy111

TBF to the Bruce-monster, if they hadn't sold Bent out from under him they would be doing absolutely fine.

Not Really.  Every Steve Bruce team hits alarming form at the end of the season, just look at the last 8 seasons.

Also they didn't sell Bent under him, Bent putting a bloody transfer request in