Next Seasons Starting XI

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest kingdawson

One other thing, what team in world football (bar Sevilla) play 2 out and out wingers in a 4-4-2?

or any formation for that matter.

One other thing, what team in world football (bar Sevilla) play 2 out and out wingers in a 4-4-2?

Manchester United for a start.

Guest kingdawson

Really?

Well they don't play 4-4-2 for a start (but i did say "any formation tbh"). How many times have Nani and Valencia started together because Park isn't an out and out winger and starts a lot of games.

Really?

Well they don't play 4-4-2 for a start (but i did say "any formation tbh"). How many times have Nani and Valencia started together because Park isn't an out and out winger and starts a lot of games.

I think you'd be surprised how many times both Valencia and Nani have started together.

Really?

I think you'd be surprised how many times both Valencia and Nani have started together.

Bayern always start both Robben and Riberý on the wings. (if both fit, which isn't very often.)

Guest kingdawson

am i missing something here? cos plenty of sides play with two wingers. it's fairly standard i wouldve thought.

It really isn't. The only legit one was Manchester United and that's only sometimes (when Nani and Valencia both start). The only team in world football that plays or has played 2 out and out wingers in a 4-4-2 is Sevilla imo.

Guest kingdawson

Villa usually play 4-5-1....City usually play either Johnson or SWP (usually one comes on for the other)...yeh you lot do. In world football it's you and Sevilla that play 2 out and out wingers in a 4-4-2.

Actually i'm not sure about the championship. Premiership and the other major European leagues i'm talking about.

Villa usually play 4-5-1....City usually play either Johnson or SWP (usually one comes on for the other)...yeh you lot do. In world football it's you and Sevilla that play 2 out and out wingers in a 4-4-2.

Actually i'm not sure about the championship. Premiership and the other major European leagues i'm talking about.

Villa play with 2 up top, don't they?  2 from Agbonlahor, Carew and Heskey.

i get what youre saying, but i think plenty of sides still use wingers, just not as much in a 4-4-2 as managers move away from that formation. wouldnt be surprised to see hughton use some different formations next season - he's reverted to 4-5-1 plenty this season when away from home.

Guest kingdawson

Ocho - I think you're right. They do play 4-4-2 sometimes but other times it looks like 4-5-1 (4-3-3). It's definitely not the traditional 4-4-2.

Johnny- You're also right when you say managers are moving away from the 4-4-2 formation. I still think managers would prefer 1 out and out winger with a creative attacking midfielder that drifts inside if they were playing 4-4-2. 2 out and out wingers suit a 4-3-3 formation imo.

I think British managers will always prefer to play 442, as it's what we've grown up on.  Ferguson, O'Neill, Bobby too.

Harry would have played with 2 wingers if he managed to get Downing.

Wenger was the first manager who really brought in non-conventional wingers in Pires and Ljungberg.  Mourinho really put his stamp on the 451 (433) with Robben and Cole (SWP at times) on either side.

Honestly, try and get Cleverley or Lansbury. Both excellent players, Cleverley would be good in the first team, Lansbury as general cover/squad player. Would be the right level for them to step up to also, before (potentially) making it at their respective parent clubs.

Harper

NEW  NEW Taylor Enrique

Rout NEW NEW Jonas

Carroll NEW

Subs: Krul, Simpson, Williamson, Guthrie, Nolan, Loven, NEW

Is about the rubbish i'd expect from someone who spent years telling me that Taylor was England quality and Bramble wasn't good enough for the premiership.

We've only got one player in that secondary striker role and I don't think Lovenkrands is good enough. I'd be happy to see most of the budget get blown in that area, because it can make a real difference to a side.

Having said that, I can't think of any established players who would be a) affordable and b) available. Cheeky loan bid for Kakuta, Sturridge or Wilshere mebbe.

Guest Mantis

Harper

NEW  NEW Taylor Enrique

Rout NEW NEW Jonas

Carroll NEW

I'd go: Harper, Simpson, Colo, Williamson, Enrique, Jonas, 3 new midfielders, Lovenkrands, Shola.   Bench of Krul, Taylor, Kadar, Routledge, Barton, Guthrie, new Striker.

Cant see the cash flowing freely so would like to see three good solid midfielders who dont stop playing football once they hit december.  

Harper

NEW  NEW Taylor Enrique

Rout NEW NEW Jonas

Carroll NEW

Is about the rubbish i'd expect from someone who spent years telling me that Taylor was England quality and Bramble wasn't good enough for the premiership.

Keeping in mind we don't have unlimited funds, we'll have to keep some of them.

Would like to see Coloccini have another shot at the big time, improved bucket loads.

See how Guthrie gets on till the end of the season. At LEAST one new CM. Alan Smith and Kevin Nolan would be alright cover (unless we can shift their wages).

It's really hard to say. On one hand I'd love to give the players that are playing well a shot at the top level, on the other hand it's sometimes fairly clear that this is their level and no more. Would be very hard for the manager to justify replacing, say, Wayne Routledge or Andy Carroll. Same goes for the manager, he has done well and he won't be sacked, but is it an ineveitability?

For me,

Harper

Enrique

Coloccini

Taylor

NEW

Jonas

NEW

NEW*

NEW

Carroll (meh)

NEW*

(stars indicate importance)

Guest kingdawson

When have Villa played 4-5-1?

:dowie:

Their last game against Chelsea so you can keep your Dowie face to yourself.

Would you like me to provide evidence?