What should our transfer priorities be?

James

1 - A Striker

We desperately need someone who can play the channels/drop a bit deep and offer a link between midfield and attack. Yes we need a CM, but unless we have someone up front who can take advantage of some better distribution from the middle then we're as well off having Nolan there because there'll be nobody up front offering us any sort of movement. At the moment our attempts to play good football are entirely dependent on Peter Lovenkrands and, as much a I love the lad, if we're depending on him to keep us up next season we're f***ed.

2 - A Central Midfielder

Ideally I'd like to see us get rid of Barton and Nolan and bring in two CM's. Realistically I think we'll see one of them moved on with the other staying. I'd love to see us go out and get a really good young ball-playing talent and build the midfield around him. Let Guthrie, Smith and Barton/Nolan battle it out for the other starting spot, with the other two then being backups.

3 - A Right Back

Simpson and Taylor aren't good enough, basically. Good squad players, but I'd love us to find some sort of right-footed Enrique and give us a good pair of FB's for the first time in years.

4 - A Right Winger

Routledge and Jonas are good options, but after them we've got nothing on the flanks. I'd like to see us bring in someone who could start on the right side, with Jonas on the left. Routledge has looked pretty decent on both sides, I think he'd be great to have as an impact sub and he'd be a capable starter when one of the starting wingers gets injured/needs a rest/has a dip in form.

:thup:

How can everyone be so confident in our centre backs? Don't people remember how hard the PL was for Colo tha last time? Taylor is always injured alot, Williamson didn't make the team for Pompey.  We need a good CB!

Do your research. :thup:

Guest jonlane86

Maybe we should start with working out what is the best system to play.  Why not play 4-5-1/4-3-3

In the premier league you could feasibly play

Harper

Simpson/New RB            Williamson               Collocini                      Enrique

Guthrie                            Nolan                         Barton

Routledge/Jonas                          Carroll                      Jonas/Lovenkrands

Personally I think shipping out Best/Raylor/Saylor would be good business, and bringing in another RB, 2xCB, CM, and WF.  Would leave us with a squad of

GK - Harper/Krul/Forster

RB - Simpson/New RB

CB - Williamson/Collocini/New CB/New CB

LB - Kadar (LB best position IMO)/Enrique

CM - Barton/Nolan/Guthrie/Smith/New CM

WF - Lovenkrands/Routledge/Jonas/New WF

ST - Carroll/Ranger/Ameobi

1 - A Striker

We desperately need someone who can play the channels/drop a bit deep and offer a link between midfield and attack. Yes we need a CM, but unless we have someone up front who can take advantage of some better distribution from the middle then we're as well off having Nolan there because there'll be nobody up front offering us any sort of movement. At the moment our attempts to play good football are entirely dependent on Peter Lovenkrands and, as much a I love the lad, if we're depending on him to keep us up next season we're f***ed.

2 - A Central Midfielder

Ideally I'd like to see us get rid of Barton and Nolan and bring in two CM's. Realistically I think we'll see one of them moved on with the other staying. I'd love to see us go out and get a really good young ball-playing talent and build the midfield around him. Let Guthrie, Smith and Barton/Nolan battle it out for the other starting spot, with the other two then being backups.

3 - A Right Back

Simpson and Taylor aren't good enough, basically. Good squad players, but I'd love us to find some sort of right-footed Enrique and give us a good pair of FB's for the first time in years.

4 - A Right Winger

Routledge and Jonas are good options, but after them we've got nothing on the flanks. I'd like to see us bring in someone who could start on the right side, with Jonas on the left. Routledge has looked pretty decent on both sides, I think he'd be great to have as an impact sub and he'd be a capable starter when one of the starting wingers gets injured/needs a rest/has a dip in form.

:thup:

:thup: :thup:

Starting Right Back

Back-up Left back

Starting Centre Back 2

Starting Right Winger

Starting Left Winger

Back-Up Left Winger

Starting Defensive Midfielder

Back-up Defensive Midfielder

Starting Central Midfielder

Starting Attacking Midfielder

Starting Striker 1

Back-Up Striker 1

Utility Defensive Player

Utility Offensive Player

My priorities would be -

1) A creative secondary striker in the Beardsley / Bellamy / Gavin Peacock mould. Hard to find but worth shelling out for the right man.

2) An anchor man in midfield who is quicker and more mobile than Nolan or Smith.

3) A centre back who is better than Taylor or Coloccini.

4) A right back who carries more of an attacking threat than Simpson.

in order for starting 11......

2 central midfielders

striker

right midfield

right back

Spot on.  :thup:

I'd push for another striker if the cash was there though.

if the cash was there i'd also be looking a left sided better version of ryan taylor to cover jonas and jose. (a latter day young olivier bernard if you will)

Maybe we should start with working out what is the best system to play.  Why not play 4-5-1/4-3-3

In the premier league you could feasibly play

Harper

Simpson/New RB            Williamson               Collocini                      Enrique

Guthrie                            Nolan                         Barton

Routledge/Jonas                          Carroll                      Jonas/Lovenkrands

Personally I think shipping out Best/Raylor/Saylor would be good business, and bringing in another RB, 2xCB, CM, and WF.  Would leave us with a squad of

GK - Harper/Krul/Forster

RB - Simpson/New RB

CB - Williamson/Collocini/New CB/New CB

LB - Kadar (LB best position IMO)/Enrique

CM - Barton/Nolan/Guthrie/Smith/New CM

WF - Lovenkrands/Routledge/Jonas/New WF

ST - Carroll/Ranger/Ameobi

A midfield three of Nolan, Guthrie and Barton would get torn a new arsehole in the Premier League.

i'd get rid of Best and Smith first of all. might be able to raise a few mill from those two. depending on who else we bring in, i'd also consider letting the taylors go, along with shola.

anyway midds and madras sum up what players we should be looking for. i did feel that a new centre-half would be nice, but williamson looks good so far. still a big doubt over him and colo in terms of adapting to the premiership though.

Do people really feel we need 2 central midfielders more than we need another striker?

a new striker and a new midfielder are both as important as each other tbh. though lacking a proven goalscorer is more likely to send us down than lacking a robust central midfielder, so i'd try to get the striker on board first/spend more money on that position.

A forward or two and a creative/attacking central midfielder are musts, getting someone in on the Right of midfield, at RB, and cover for CB and LB should also be looked at.

Anything else is a bonus really.

Guest firetotheworks

Do people really feel we need 2 central midfielders more than we need another striker?

I think its more to do with it being overlooked since we got rid of Emre. And even then he was always injured. So we haven't had any kind of good creativity in the middle since Dyer or Jenas played there.

Striker is priority, but Attacking CM should have been for a long time, until now.

It looks more and more likely that Burnely and Hull will be going down with Portsmouth so I would be looking at the following:

Left Back cover - Fox from Burnley

Striker - Fletcher from Burnley or Maynard from Bristol City plus Austin from Swindon

Wingers - Eagles from Burnley, Driver from Hearts

Right Back - Hinkel from Celtic or Hibbert from Everton or Perch from Forest

Centre Midfield - Bullard from Hull (one year loan deal), Cleverley from Man Utd.

Centre Back - Mertsecker (sp.) from Real Madrid. Not getting a game them apparently

Get rid of Best, Smith, Ryan Taylor and Steven Taylor for anything over 8 million quid.

Send out Forster, Kadar, Ranger and Inman on loan to top CC sides with the condition of immediate recall if necessary.

It looks more and more likely that Burnely and Hull will be going down with Portsmouth so I would be looking at the following:

Left Back cover - Fox from Burnley

Striker - Fletcher from Burnley or Maynard from Bristol City plus Austin from Swindon

Wingers - Eagles from Burnley, Driver from Hearts

Right Back - Hinkel from Celtic or Hibbert from Everton or Perch from Forest

Centre Midfield - Bullard from Hull (one year loan deal), Cleverley from Man Utd.

Centre Back - Mertsecker (sp.) from Real Madrid. Not getting a game them apparently

Get rid of Best, Smith, Ryan Taylor and Steven Taylor for anything over 8 million quid.

Send out Forster, Kadar, Ranger and Inman on loan to top CC sides with the condition of immediate recall if necessary.

:lol: