NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Blatantly going into the season with Carroll, Shola, Best, Lovenkrands and Xisco - and loaning Ranger out. Can see us not signing any forwards.

We must hope that Xisco comes around or Carroll turns into a top player. That is an atrocious strike force. Not one in there I trust.

IMO Carroll has improved a lot during last season and we'll see that in the Premiership, not saying he's great, but he'll do ok IMO and can still get better.

Blatantly going into the season with Carroll, Shola, Best, Lovenkrands and Xisco - and loaning Ranger out. Can see us not signing any forwards.

I'm not so sure. There's an imbalance, in that four out of the five are basically target men. I think Hughton will be looking for a better player than Lovenkrands for the more secondary striker role.

I think he'd sooner play an attacking-midfielder like Cleverley or Ben Arfa off Carroll than another striker, or failing signing someone new, Nolan or even Vuckic in the end.

I'm not so sure. There's an imbalance, in that four out of the five are basically target men. I think Hughton will be looking for a better player than Lovenkrands for the more secondary striker role.

I'm sick of reading this rubbish. Lovenkrands is a less of a 'secondary striker' than any of them.

I think he'd sooner play an attacking-midfielder like Cleverley or Ben Arfa off Carroll than another striker, or failing signing someone new, Nolan or even Vuckic in the end.

Yeah, Cleverley could be a key signing. (I don't think there's anything in the Ben Arfa story) Whatever, he needs to avoid playing two big centre-forward types together, because the lack of pace and movement would kill us.

Yeah, Cleverley could be a key signing. (I don't think there's anything in the Ben Arfa story) Whatever, he needs to avoid playing two big centre-forward types together, because the lack of pace and movement would kill us.

There's clearly something in the Ben Arfa story, whether we get him or not.

Not signing a striker would be our death imo.

I'd rather have a good creative midfielder then a new striker, I'd love both of course :)

Not signing a striker would be our death imo.

Is it more of a priority than a good central midfielder?

Hmmm, tough one, but I'd say yes probably.

Signing the striker we're crying out for would instantly double our chances of survival.

Guest MrBrown

Hughton has clearly demonstrated an ability to see where the squad needs strengthening. He's shown as much, if not more, evidence of that than any other recent manager. Why the constant dismissive attitude towards him in this regard?

Hughton has clearly demonstrated an ability to see where the squad needs strengthening. He's shown as much, if not more, evidence of that than any other recent manager. Why the constant dismissive attitude towards him in this regard?

I don't think anyone's dismissing him in that regard. He did well in getting us up and signed the right players i.e Routledge at the right time. The players he's brought in so far have addressed needs. Still if he doesn't sign a striker I'll be worried, though I will give the current crop of forwards and Hughton my full backing.

Not to continually be a Hughton sympathiser; but i genuinely think that if we don't sign a striker - it'll be cos we've already got six (plus Nolan and Vuckic) on the books and Ashley won't sanction it.

It'll take Xisco and Ranger, at the very least, fucking off to prompt us into signing a striker imo.

With regards to Hughton's quotes about Xisco - the general concensus seems to be that it's confirmation that we're not getting another striker. To me it sounded straight out the 'come and sign him plz' book. "He's been good in pre-season" / "He's not gonna feature very much".

= we don't want him but he's good, honest.

Guest dover

This season should be Shola's last chance to prove himself, that is if we stay up.

He`s 28 man, prove himself for what the last 3 or 4 years of his career? he`s not good enough, end of discussion.

Guest Roger Kint

We need quality in CM. Giving Nolan the armband is a sign he wont solve that imo.

We need quality in CM. Giving Nolan the armband is a sign he wont solve that imo.

Giving Nolan the armband means nothing tbh. Last season Butt was captain and was on the bench for the majority of the season (if he was in the squad at all).

Nolan deserves a chance in the Premier League after he played such a big part last season.

If he fails to perform on a certain level than Hughton will drop him. I've got no doubts about that tbh. He did the same with Butt last season, he also dropped Owen in the 08/09 season.

Guest Roger Kint

Nolan doesnt deserve a chance after looking off the pace at a lower level last year, yes he scored goals but it wont happen this year. Plus he named Smith as vice captain this year, why announce the swap if he isnt going to start most games?

I assume by dropping Butt you mean that he was injured pre season and Smith was captain from day 1? Only a fool would have brought him back into the team when he clearly wasnt up to the job. Thats not balls its common sense.

Owen dropped for 1 game wasnt he as he was badly struggling with form and fitness? Arsenal i think it was.

Nolan doesnt deserve a chance after looking off the pace at a lower level last year, yes he scored goals but it wont happen this year. Plus he named Smith as vice captain this year, why announce the swap if he isnt going to start most games?

I assume by dropping Butt you mean that he was injured pre season and Smith was captain from day 1? Only a fool would have brought him back into the team when he clearly wasnt up to the job. Thats not balls its common sense.

Owen dropped for 1 game wasnt he as he was badly struggling with form and fitness? Arsenal i think it was.

We'll see who'll be captain this season and for how long.

Hughton still could have brought Butt back. In the 08/09 season he was played for almost every game despite looking not up to the job.

And yes, Owen was "only" dropped for one game. That was also Hughton's last game as caretaker caretaker manager.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Nolan is nowhere near good enough for this league IMO-

Same goes for Ameobi, mentioned further up in the thread.