NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Another thing that pisses me off about the Ben Arfa thing is that even if he turned out unsuccessful on the pitch it was a massive chance to send out a message that we're still an ambitious club, looking to bring in top international players and being able to attract them. It would have indicated that Hughton is a progressive manager and increased his credibility and stature. This might have helped bring other talented players on board, created more interest in the club (ie revenue Ashley, numbnuts) and made others look in our direction.

And instead all we've done with this golden opportunity is try save a few pennies and do things on the cheap. As fucking usual.

Word up.

However, we still don't know (a) whether it will happen or not and (b) whether the club did everything they could to make it happen.

If it happens then obviously I'll be delighted, but I think it will take more than a little compromise on our side (as well as the player deciding against more money and continuation of Champions League football) and I simply can't see that happening. Which rules out your second point.

Guest Brazilianbob

Starting to get seriously concerned about the standard of players we are likely to bring in.    I really did think that the squad we had last year would be able to cope reasonably well in the EPL.  However, I have supported NUFC for nigh on 44 years now and I have never been so apathetic about our future prospects, but then again Ashley isn't interested in the likes of me cos I'll probably pop me socks within the next 10 years, so no real monay to gained from me.

It's the young guys who will be supporting the club for the next 40 odd years to come whom he wants to buy season tickets, hence the long term plan of being back in the black by 2015.  Once 2015 comes the goal posts will be moved yet again, and the club will continue to run on a shoestring as long as there are bums on seats.

Starting to get seriously concerned about the standard of players we are likely to bring in.    I really did think that the squad we had last year would be able to cope reasonably well in the EPL.  However, I have supported NUFC for nigh on 44 years now and I have never been so apathetic about our future prospects, but then again Ashley isn't interested in the likes of me cos I'll probably pop me socks within the next 10 years, so no real monay to gained from me.

It's the young guys who will be supporting the club for the next 40 odd years to come whom he wants to buy season tickets, hence the long term plan of being back in the black by 2015.  Once 2015 comes the goal posts will be moved yet again, and the club will continue to run on a shoestring as long as there are bums on seats.

Out of interest, do you still think our squad can cope in the Premiership, or do you now not? And why?

Guest Brazilianbob

Out of interest, do you still think our squad can cope in the Premiership, or do you now not? And why?

I hope they can and if i'm honest I think they probably will cope ok, but all the games will be a struggle even against the other teams at the bottom.  I'm more concerned that we will get a couple of good old tankings from the mackems this season.  That will be unbearable!

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

I hope they can and if i'm honest I think they probably will cope ok, but all the games will be a struggle even against the other teams at the bottom.  I'm more concerned that we will get a couple of good old tankings from the mackems this season.  That will be unbearable!

I think that's a cert, we do however have to learn to stop making stupid mistakes like we did against Manure because in this league you get punished. I do lookforward to seeing the introduction of youngsters like Harris Vuckic and co.

We've still brought in more than we've let go which is not the case for most clubs.

In fact I think other than ourselves, only West ham and Everton have managed it so far. :thup:

Most clubs squads weren't thinner than paper to start off with though.

Linked to Skjeldbred again... hmm

SSN:

Newcastle United have been linked with a shock move for Norwegian midfielder Per Ciljan Skjelbred.

The Premier League side have been linked with the midfielder for some time, but Sky Sports News understands that a move may be close that would bring the midfielder out of retirement and to St. James' Park for the 2044/45 season.

Although now 72 years old and having owned the Tyneside club through twenty consecutive relegation and promotion seasons, Newcastle owner Mike Ashley is understood to be reluctant to part with any capital investment and a free transfer would certainly appeal. 

First linked in the 2006/7 season, Newcastle's interest in Skjelbred has not abated.  Since then, however, the club has been criticised by fans for spending a grand total of €2 million euros on new signings, and the re-signing of Kevin Nolan was an unpopular move.  Fifty five and now mobile only through use of a large winch, the midfielder's only impact at St James last season was to create a large dent in the centre circle.

Whilst Skjelbred may move to Tyneside in the next few hours, the success of such a move remains to be seen.  Newcastle are thought to be keeping a close eye on Greenham Athletic's part-time defender Gerry Smith, but may face competition from the local post office who are keen to offer the centre-back a £6/hr deal - one which Newcastle may struggle to match.

The wait for success in the Toon continues.

4th August 2044

Related stories:

Mike Ashley raises season tickets to record prices

Nolan's triple bypass "a success"

Owen continues to harbour hope of England recall

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I think that's a cert, we do however have to learn to stop making stupid mistakes like we did against Manure because in this league you get punished. I do lookforward to seeing the introduction of youngsters like Harris Vuckic and co.

What makes you think Vuckic will be introduced this season?

What makes you think Vuckic will be introduced this season?

Our squad is so thin when we get a few injuries he'll have to play as we won't have others.

Linked to Skjeldbred again... hmm

SSN:

Newcastle United have been linked with a shock move for Norwegian midfielder Per Ciljan Skjelbred.

The Premier League side have been linked with the midfielder for some time, but Sky Sports News understands that a move may be close that would bring the midfielder out of retirement and to St. James' Park for the 2044/45 season.

Although now 72 years old and having owned the Tyneside club through twenty consecutive relegation and promotion seasons, Newcastle owner Mike Ashley is understood to be reluctant to part with any capital investment and a free transfer would certainly appeal. 

First linked in the 2006/7 season, Newcastle's interest in Skjelbred has not abated.  Since then, however, the club has been criticised by fans for spending a grand total of 2 million euros on new signings, and the re-signing of Kevin Nolan was an unpopular move.  Fifty five and now mobile only through use of a large winch, the midfielder's only impact at St James last season was to create a large dent in the centre circle.

Whilst Skjelbred may move to Tyneside in the next few hours, the success of such a move remains to be seen.  Newcastle are thought to be keeping a close eye on Greenham Athletic's part-time defender Gerry Smith, but may face competition from the local post office who are keen to offer the centre-back a £6/hr deal - one which Newcastle may struggle to match.

The wait for success in the Toon continues.

4th August 2044

Related stories:

Mike Ashley raises season tickets to record prices

Nolan's triple bypass "a success"

Owen continues to harbour hope of England recall

Very very funny!!  Great stuff!