NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Change the fookin record

Chris Hughton has voiced his frustration at not being able to strengthen his squad in the way that he would like this summer but remains optimistic there will be more new arrivals before the transfer deadline.

The Newcastle manager has signed the likes of Sol Campbell, Dan Gosling and James Perch since promotion to the Premier League was secured last season.

But the new campaign is now under way and Hughton has so far been unsuccessful in his pursuit of other targets such as Hatem Ben Arfa, who could now join Werder Bremen.

Hughton admits it has been a tricky period but he is still looking to bring in further reinforcements before the end of the month.

"We're still working at it," he told the Northern Echo.

"It's difficult at the moment and I must admit that it's frustrating at the moment but that is the nature of the transfer window.

"I'm still hopeful that we're going to be able to make those additions."

Guest neesy111

Change the fookin record

Chris Hughton has voiced his frustration at not being able to strengthen his squad in the way that he would like this summer but remains optimistic there will be more new arrivals before the transfer deadline.

The Newcastle manager has signed the likes of Sol Campbell, Dan Gosling and James Perch since promotion to the Premier League was secured last season.

But the new campaign is now under way and Hughton has so far been unsuccessful in his pursuit of other targets such as Hatem Ben Arfa, who could now join Werder Bremen.

Hughton admits it has been a tricky period but he is still looking to bring in further reinforcements before the end of the month.

"We're still working at it," he told the Northern Echo.

"It's difficult at the moment and I must admit that it's frustrating at the moment but that is the nature of the transfer window.

"I'm still hopeful that we're going to be able to make those additions."

chris just tell us the fuckin truth, we're not signing anyone

Guest BooBoo

Hughton has been repeating the same guff all summer. It will get to a point where it becomes "our transfer attempts have been frustrated by the lack of movement in the market. We don't want to pay over the odds and it might be time to start focussing more on who we have at the club rather than who we haven't."

Complete cobblers considering the business other clubs have done including the two other promoted clubs.

The market will always be frustrating when your shopping with a few coppers in your wallet.

Hughton has been repeating the same guff all summer. It will get to a point where it becomes "our transfer attempts have been frustrated by the lack of movement in the market. We don't want to pay over the odds and it might be time to start focussing more on who we have at the club rather than who we haven't."

Complete cobblers considering the business other clubs have dine including the two other promoted clubs.

The market will always be frustrating when your shopping with a few coppers in your wallet.

Nail on the head.

Meanwhile, reports in Norway claim Newcastle again sent scouts to check out midfielder Per Ciljan Skjelbred.

The 23-year-old has been watched by various United regimes, but none of them have made a serious bid.

Skjelbred was in action for Rosenborg in their Champions League encounter with FC Copenhagen, which the Norwegian side won 2-1.

Taken from Chronicle article

Are we ever gonna give up on Skjelbred?!?

Scouting him again? This is almost getting as bad as Roeder scouting Kuyt!

I was just about to say Skjelbred is Hughton's Kuyt before I read your post lol.

I know this forum is prone to the odd bout of hysteria, but this has me scratching my head a bit. We've already signed three players. We all know that most business happens in the last week of the transfer window. We signed players in the previous transfer window.

Why are so many people certain that the club has no intention of signing anyone else?

I know this forum is prone to the odd bout of hysteria, but this has me scratching my head a bit. We've already signed three players. We all know that most business happens in the last week of the transfer window. We signed players in the previous transfer window.

Why are so many people certain that the club has no intention of signing anyone else?

Oh we'll sign someone alright.

The problem is that we'll end up signing someone shite because we're running out of time and nobody will be willing to sell us anyone that's actually any good for the shite money we're willing to pay.

Probably the fact we've dithered so much over a great opportunity in Ben Arfa, belying our lack of funds/willingness to spend. If we do sign anyone from now on in I can't see them being much good, and presumably most feel the same.

Also, we've only actually signed one player - and for pennies at that. The other two were cases of us taking advantage of circumstance.

Guest Roger Kint

I think its mainly due to the lack of free transfers available so late in the window, or very good players going for a song. Its hard to convince yourself we have plans to spend when they themselves issue statements to the contrary

I think this year might see a busier last week than normal but it's hardly the norm. It's irritating having a transfer window that ends 3 games into the season, the first 3 games could see a vastly different team to the next 35 (probably not in our case) for a lot of teams, with players still recovering from the World Cup thrown into the mix as well.

Guest neesy111

I'm confident we'll go for a quality central midfielder to save our season. Michael Johnson is still available, right?

another player with an awful injury record  :facepalm:

Guest neesy111

2 Players left during the close season i.e. Pancrate and Butt, and 3 have come in with one not being available for over a 1/3 of the season!

i don't call that improving the squad or the first team for that matter

Guest Roger Kint

I guess theres always some hope with teams looking to trim down to 25 players......while we have less than 20 to register(plus kids obviously) when you consider Gosling/Bent/Taylors long term injuries make them unavailable til Oct/Nov at least.  :undecided:

2 Players left during the close season i.e. Pancrate and Butt, and 3 have come in with one not being available for over a 1/3 of the season!

i don't call that improving the squad or the first team for that matter

Xisco and Barton are back, they're like NEW SIGNINGS!!! [/Hughton]

Guest neesy111

Neesy, is your shift key broken?

yes, work laptop is crap

why is it because i don't put capitals at the start of sentences?

Neesy, is your shift key broken?

yes, work laptop is crap

why is it because i don't put capitals at the start of sentences?

That and random apostrophes appearing for no reason.

Another thing that pisses me off about the Ben Arfa thing is that even if he turned out unsuccessful on the pitch it was a massive chance to send out a message that we're still an ambitious club, looking to bring in top international players and being able to attract them. It would have indicated that Hughton is a progressive manager and increased his credibility and stature. This might have helped bring other talented players on board, created more interest in the club (ie revenue Ashley, numbnuts) and made others look in our direction.

And instead all we've done with this golden opportunity is try save a few pennies and do things on the cheap. As fucking usual.

Another thing that pisses me off about the Ben Arfa thing is that even if he turned out unsuccessful on the pitch it was a massive chance to send out a message that we're still an ambitious club, looking to bring in top international players and being able to attract them. It would have indicated that Hughton is a progressive manager and increased his credibility and stature. This might have helped bring other talented players on board, created more interest in the club (ie revenue Ashley, numbnuts) and made others look in our direction.

And instead all we've done with this golden opportunity is try save a few pennies and do things on the cheap. As fucking usual.

Word up.

However, we still don't know (a) whether it will happen or not and (b) whether the club did everything they could to make it happen.